PDA

View Full Version : Drove a Cadillac CTS V and the XLR

socalfandabodys
09-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Just wanted to share some idea for a pro touring car with you. I recently drove and saw a xlr and you must go see this car in person. It gave me lots of ideas for a pro touring vehicle. First of all the interior has lots of little neat items.The seats and consol are awesome.I was also impressed to find that the bottom of the car is flat and seamless. Also the floors are made from balsa wood compacted together and the chassis is made from carbon fiber.The top is a work of art it operates seamlessly and its amazing how it folds up. The car is also a bat out of hell and sounds awesome. Then theres the ctsv talk about a sleeper. It handles and stops like a vette but it has the comforts of a cadillac. Lets just say that I had sti for dinner. If you dont believe me go drive one. This has to be the ultimate sleeper. Yes you do pay more than you would for an sti but the comfort level and the sleeper status is much greater plus its made in the usa. Just leeting you guys know what I found out and believe me I used to be a corvette guy but ??????Just wondering if anyone else has had the oppurtunity and what they think :cool:

zbugger
09-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info.... Now, care to GIVE (not lend, because you'll never see it again) the near $50k for it? Heh.... I can barely afford to drive by the dealership at the moment. THAT sucks. There's a couple of those XLR's on the road around me. I almost died when I saw it.

1970cuda
09-12-2004, 01:30 PM
a friend of mine has a cts-v complete with 19' wheels and a vortech supercharger. just imagine a supercharged z06 with 4 doors. it is awsome to drive and if it wasn't for the wheel is would be the ultimate sleeped especially with the child seat in the rear :cool:

socalfandabodys
09-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Theres a good reason for having those 19 inch wheels though. It has 14 inch rotors. Now thats awesome. Also I really do like the xlrs but as far as it goes I think the $70,000 is a little pricey. But when you think about the zo6 set up in a four door cadillac $50,000 isnt bad considering what you can pay for an audi or a merecedes or even some infinitis

Ralph LoGrasso
09-12-2004, 06:24 PM
I'd love to have a CTS-V. Too bad they didn't build the Cadillac Sixteen (LS1 based V-16).

XcYZ
09-13-2004, 06:34 AM
Don't forget about the CTS-V Plus with the new 7 liter... 500+hp and 4 doors. Rumors have it around $65k.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

68RallySport
09-13-2004, 10:27 AM
I want to see pictures of that supercharged cts v! I would kill for one of those! I am also looking forward to the new grand prix GTX with a v8 finally making it to those cars!
David

Ralph LoGrasso
09-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Does the CTS-V have the LS7? I take it it does by the 7 liters. Talk about an M5 killer!!! :cool:!!!!

cjhutch
09-13-2004, 07:07 PM
Ralph, I wouldn't go that far to call it a M5 Killer. I am a diehard BMW fanatic and the new M5 is going to be a beast. V10 engine, 500+hp and torque, redline of 8200, 7 speed sequential. :seizure:

Ralph LoGrasso
09-13-2004, 09:33 PM
I hear you on the M5. I heard it was going to be a beast too, but hasn't BMW had problems in the past with the M line up? I remember reading they had to back off the redline on the M3s as part of a recall or something. I guess I shouldn't have gone as far to call it an M5 killer, but I suspect the M5 weighs a good deal more then the CTS-V. The Current CTS-V weighs in at 3850ish. What's the projected weight on the '05 M5? Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the M5, the M is an awesome car, and I'd LOVE to own an M5 (preferrably an M3 though). I just think that at 3850(ish) and 500+hp, the CTS-V-plus is an amazing machine, and capable of hanging with the big boys.

Hellbilly23
09-14-2004, 02:13 AM
I saw a black XLR just last month weaving in and out of traffic. I made my way up to it and I couldn't stop staring at the car. It's a work of art...I'd have to say it's the most eye catching, sleak, and pretty convertible I've ever laid my eyes on. I just saw a burgundy XLR yesterday in a hospital parking lot...I wanted to get close to it but they had a car access for the car lot.

I wish they'd make a cheaper version for the hard working citizens of the USA. I mean I'd be happy to spend 50k on it :banghead: but 70k is just to much for a new car for me. You better believe I'm going to be keeping my eyes peeled for used XLR's!!!

Gonzostyle
09-14-2004, 08:42 AM
Ralph, I bet you are thinking of the E46 M3 motors built around 11/02 (I think is the date), they had problems with the motors spinning bearings and spitting rods. My understanding is that BMW claimed it was due to poor metalurgy (recalled and fixed the cars too). M5's have not had any problems I have heard of.
I wonder if the CTS V Plus will have those fender flares.....

-Jeremie

68RallySport
09-14-2004, 09:24 AM
I get to have fun because my good friends mom has an 01 m3. That car is a blast to drive! If any of you bay area guys are aware if grizley peak we are constantly up there playing m3 vs 68camaro. I over heated my VW on grizley trying to keep up although i stayed with him in the twisties. That car hammers my camaro in the turns but its almost even with the amount of power i get coming out of the turn! Its a suprising compitition and awsome to drive. Funny thing about it is that when we drag the two cars, at the alameda naval air base on the old runway, i cant beat him until i have at least two people in my back seat! No traction worth ***** with out them. We dont have a 1/4 measured out but i do pass him eventually when i dont have people in the back, usaully around third gear. I am postive if the m3 had two people in the back as well it would be childs play. when you drive that car u can really feel that amount of people in it and where they are sitting. But still no debate the m3 is a race car for the street!
David

cjhutch
09-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Ralph, I will direct you to this site BMW M5 Info (http://www.bmwm5.com/). I think everything you would like to know about the new M5 will be here. Check out the Power-weight ratio.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. Jeremie, I think those are the engines I'm thinking of. I hope it has the flares! The M5 looks insane after reading some of that page, Corey.

Silver TT
09-14-2004, 04:46 PM
That CTS-V Plus is going to be one bad ass vehicle. I was thinking about a CTS -V, but the plus is going to be a serious contender for the best accelerating and handling sedan even in the company of the new M5 and the new E55s.

You have to love all these 500 HP sedans rolling around the streets these days. If the CTS V plus comes in anywhere around $65k I will seriously consider picking one up. From what I have read it will be naturally aspirated and not S/C so it should be super reliable as well. Probably has the same motor as the C6 Z06, but with cadillac style and comfort for about the same price. Pretty sweet. :icon996: