PDA

View Full Version : light problems..

408maro
09-24-2014, 07:06 AM
Ok I'm a lil lost here.

My 72 camaro headlights weren't working because the dimmer switch had broke. But everything else worked in car

then I get the headlights to work by installing new dimmer switch. While having headlights on i notice smoke coming from somewhere. Well I track it down to a ground for a cheap temp gauge light...so I just remove the light and wiring all together. And I thought all was fine

Well i thought the battery died because I had door open for a while so I jump it and notice that the lights don't work. Outside or inside
And radio don't come on either. Also the dome light comes on but once I turn the ignition the dome light goes off

The car starts and runs but no radio. No lights and dome light issue. I checked all fuses all look ok

Here's something to add to that. I put a test light to fuses with key on and nothing but when key is off they light up

Battery was fine whole time starts normal every time

The dome light comes on with door open but once ignition is in on position turns off and if I turn headlight to on shuts off. Still no radio or any blinkers functioning however noticed that fuel gage works when turning key to on position

Getting 12.4 volts at horn relay with key on and 12.6 with key off

Unplug a connection with 5 wires at square looking box next to radiator and canister and light shuts off and has constant 12 volts

Any other thoughts?

thanks john

408maro
09-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Something else I noticed right now as its dark outside...The brake lights outside are not working and as I press brake pedal the dome light goes off as I press pedal. Weird

Think I blew something?

astroracer
09-25-2014, 03:34 AM
The "sq box" by the radiator is the voltage regulator. GM didn't go to the internal regulator until '73.
How stock is the car and wiring harness? If the harness is cut up or modified in any way you need to go thru it and check everything. It sounds like you have ground problems. If someone has removed ground cables during an engine swap that will cause the problems you are seeing. There should be large ground cables between the battery, engine and chassis and, if any of these are missing, the issues you are seeing are caused by components trying to find ground through other components.
Mark

408maro
09-25-2014, 07:43 AM
thank you for the advise.. the car wiring is pretty stock for most part.. ill have to check all grounds thank you

408maro
09-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Ok some success here. I got everything to work but I still don't know what caused the issue and what needs to be done to fix it

I thought about what that Gauge light was connected to and found that it was getting power from a power wire to a connection on the steering column and seen it said on the schematic ACC + BAT2 for ACC so I figured which was which and I got a wire and connected one to another and it worked!!!!*

I forgot my photo bucket PW so can't post a pic of schematic but it was for ign switch*

Any thoughts on what a permanent fix would be? Don't want to leave the wire jumped like that but glad it's working at least for now*

John