PDA

View Full Version : 3 Point seat belt upper mount

renegade6
09-14-2014, 04:49 PM
I need some ideas on where to mount the upper portion for my three point seat belts. I am thinking along the B pillar (#2 in picture) but, it isn't as well reinforced as newer cars the same issue goes for #1; it's not reinforced very well. I could put it on the lower point (#3) and it would be much easier to reinforce but, I'm a little concerned that it would be too low. I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks

https://www.pro-touring.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102825&stc=1

Schwartz Performance
09-14-2014, 06:11 PM
What kind of seats are you using, and where is the seat belt retractor if there is one?
I think number 3 is the better way to go due to the structural strength like you said.. It's not terribly low considering 4-5 point harnesses aren't too far off.
But the type of seat may help determine other suggestions.
In any case weld the attaching nut to a plate and weld the plate into the sheet metal.. You probably were considering that but it wasn't said :)

-Dale

renegade6
09-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Dale;

I'm using seats out of a Lexus SC 300 (the picture is the passenger one but, will give you an idea). The retractor will go down along the floor behind the trim panel arm rest (just below #3). I'm definitely welding the nut to the plate and plate to the sheet metal. I actually planned ahead before I put bed liner on my floor and welded all of the lower attaching points for the front and rear belts. :)

morrisclassic
09-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Renegade,
They make an oval plate you can buy that has the nut already in it. You would just drill a 1/2 hole thru the floor,align with the nut in the plate and weld to the bottom of your floor pan. The plate will distribute the load instead of pulling thru the floor because your life may depend on it.
If you look at our seat belts you can have a factory looking top mount. The third point needs to be above your shoulder so it doesn't break your collar bone and compress your spine. www.morrisclassicconcepts.com
Billy