PDA

View Full Version : Best rear end for my plans?

71maroesteban
09-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Okay so first off my budget for a new rear end is 3k I was first looking at the 12 bolt and considering the 9 inch then I saw the fab9 and honestly just like how mean it looks which one who be best for a dd and autocross car? It'll be behind a ls3/t56 magnum thanks

Schwartz Performance
09-01-2014, 03:00 PM
Either one is going to be fine for you. For what you're doing with the car and that power level, none of them are going to be better than the other. I agree the fabbed housings look pretty cool.

-Dale

71maroesteban
09-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Either one is going to be fine for you. For what you're doing with the car and that power level, none of them are going to be better than the other. I agree the fabbed housings look pretty cool.

-Dale any advantages the fab 9 would have over the 12? I'm pretty set on the fab 9 since it has more of a high performance look to it. Would you recommend 30,33 or 35 spline axles? My ultimate power goal once the motor needs to be rebuilt is 600 hp at the crank

srh3trinity
09-01-2014, 04:22 PM
What brakes are you going with? I decided to go with a floater after looking at 9" rears since I have a fixed caliper.

71maroesteban
09-01-2014, 04:24 PM
What brakes are you going with? I decided to go with a floater after looking at 9" rears since I have a fixed caliper. I believe kore3 sells a bracket to adapt c6 z06 brakes on to it if not I'm open to suggestion

71maroesteban
09-02-2014, 11:06 PM
What brakes are you going with? I decided to go with a floater after looking at 9" rears since I have a fixed caliper. also what is a floater rear axle? I hear that being thrown around time time but don't actually know what it actually is

Schwartz Performance
09-03-2014, 04:21 AM
A floating rear end has aluminum hubs on the ends instead of the axle flange like a semi floating "normal" rear. The axle shafts themselves have splines on both ends. Since they do not carry any of the vehicle weight, they're a stronger axle. We've used 31 spline floaters to 1300hp and have had no problems. Of course this is on street tires though.
The pro touring advantage of floaters is that in corners there is not really any flex of the bearings since they're large tapered roller bearings. The caliper bracket is welded to the rear end housing, and the rotor bolts to the floater hub. Since there's no sideways movement, the pads cannot be pushed back into the caliper. On a semi floater the bearing retainer is pressed on and holds the axle bearing in place. Hard cornering can press the retainer off slightly and give you axle end play- which results in the rotor pushing the pads into the caliper around corners. The brake pedal then needs to be pumped before you can stop well again.
These are very advantageous when running a fixed caliper not a floating caliper. C6 calipers are floating calipers, versus 4/6 piston Wilwood or Baer being fixed.
You will not notice any "difference" between the 12 bolt and fab 9. For what you're doing it's personal preference.
31 spline axles is plenty. The differential choices for 31 spline are usually cheaper than 35 spline too.

-Dale

-Dale

TheJDMan
09-03-2014, 07:04 PM
If you are springing for a complete rear end there is really no reason to not go with a full floater. The cost between a floater and a big ford end is virtually identical and floaters work just fine on the street. I have a Moser 9" floater with over 6000 miles now without a single problem and the complete rear housing with hubs, bearings and axles sells for less than $900.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2014/09/camaro13011220001-1.jpg

71maroesteban
09-03-2014, 07:32 PM
If you are springing for a complete rear end there is really no reason to not go with a full floater. The cost between a floater and a big ford end is virtually identical and floaters work just fine on the street. I have a Moser 9" floater with over 6000 miles now without a single problem and the complete rear housing with hubs, bearings and axles sells for less than $900.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2014/09/camaro13011220001-2.jpg wow that looks awesome was it hard to adapt the c6 brakes on their? Also since my rear wheels are still 15s would I be able to run drum brakes for the time being then switch over to those? Really set on a fab 9 floater now just need to decide on what spline axles to run and posi

BonzoHansen
09-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Are you drag racing? If not you could build up the stock 8.5" rear and use the cash you save on rear disc brakes. The 8.5 can be built nearly as strong as a 12 bolt.

71maroesteban
09-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Are you drag racing? If not you could build up the stock 8.5" rear and use the cash you save on rear disc brakes. The 8.5 can be built nearly as strong as a 12 bolt. no but I don't want to run c clips and rebuilding it and welding pressed on axle ends will almost be around the same price range

Decline
09-04-2014, 10:35 PM
Interesting question. Can you fit big brakes on a floater with 15s?
C6 z06 rears rotors are 13.4" by themselves. I'd think you'd need at least a 17 to house them w/calipers

TheJDMan
09-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Drum brakes on a floater? It can probably be done but the cost would be high and the results would be disappointing. I do know 15s can be run on floaters with disks, NASCAR teams do it every weekend. In fact, you can buy surplus NASCAR brakes (and floaters for that matter) from places like Roush-Yates used race parts for pennies on the dollar.

http://www.roushyatesparts.com/Used-Racing-Products-s/108.htm

Nothingface5384
09-08-2014, 06:53 PM
have you looked at an S60 rear?
that and a full floater kit would be the tits

Decline
09-23-2014, 07:02 PM
I've been looking into this and I can find no reason not to do a floater if you need a new housing anyway. The moser kit is actually cheaper than a lot of standard 9" housings.

I have an 8.2 Camaro 10 bolt I was going to have re-stalled with the suspension but since I intend to road race and autoX it's gotta go. Even with only 250hp(suspension and brakes before power lol)
Rebuilding a Used GM housing is almost a wash vs new. My friend has $750 in "junk yard" 8.5

My only concern at the moment is a parking brake setup.
The moser requires some custom fab brackets to get it to work. A guy lateral G just did it with some baers
My research has turned up that speedway engineering sells a floater rear for $1200 that will accept the Wilwood kit with an internal emergency brake that was designed for strange hubs as a more "bolt on solution"
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $ for "ease of install" and to have a true emergency brake vs a parking brake.

srh3trinity
09-24-2014, 05:54 AM
I struggled with the e brake issue too. That is probably the biggest detractor for the floater. There arent many out of the box brake setups for them. I am going to use a Wilwood spot caliper which is more of a parking brake than an e brake, but I am building an auto car too.

csouth
09-24-2014, 07:59 AM
Since I'm swapping from auto to manual I need to find a solution for my floater. I will probably spend the money on the parking brake kit from the GMR.

Schwartz Performance
09-24-2014, 08:08 AM
The GMR one looks pretty good, we use the Wilwood spot caliper pretty often.
The other thing we've done is use a hydraulic line lock, basically you plumb it into the rear brake line, and you press the pedal down and push/twist the knob on the unit and it keeps pressure on the rear calipers.

-Dale

Decline
09-24-2014, 09:25 AM
I have decided to go with the Speedway Mod lite rear floater since it has the Wilwood kit designed for it with an integrated park brake..It's a little more money but since I'm paying for the install it will prbly be a wash with a fab'd Moser ..

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdRear.aspx?itemno=140-11877-R

csouth
09-25-2014, 06:59 AM
Moser was also supposed to be coming out with a "pro-touring" rear end that was a floater with brakes installed. When I ordered my floater it was not out yet, but in the catalog. I would call and inquire just to have all the bases covered.

Decline
09-25-2014, 08:20 AM
I called and the guy said he was pretty sure i was talking about the TSD rear end. I told him a "pro-touring" floater with parking brake provisions.
http://www.moserengineering.com/complete-rear-end-assemblies/tsd500acr-tsd500-auto-cross-edition-torque-sensing-differential.html
I also found this online
http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/moser-engineering-builds-autocross-specific-rearends/
For 3 grand its actually not bad, as it comes with brakes and a diff, but prbly not as custom as some would like with the diff and brakes being specc'd for you. Also the 11.75 rotors and single piston calipers arent quite what we'd all like, and i think the park brake is the actual caliper i.e. no drum in hat

Speedway is local to me and is going to be welding on my brackets for the TCI torque arm as part of the assembly before final straightening for only a small additional fee..Can't beat the ability to actually go there for customer service!

srh3trinity
09-25-2014, 08:32 AM
I spoke with speedway and if my local shop dealt with them I would probably use them. Very nice and knowledgeable. I am going moser due to a local shop I am using. Prices were within a couple hundred bucks of each other.