PDA

View Full Version : locking hood pins

steemin
09-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Question..
Are 2 locking hood pins by themselves (no hood latch) adequate protection from keeping the hood from flying open at speed?
As far as the locking pins are concerned it has the round almost flush style locking pins that uses a round key to lock/unlock.
The hood is a fiberglass Eleanor 2 hood. We are using the factory hinges with lighter weight springs.
Scott

steemin
09-27-2005, 05:59 PM
anyone?

steemin
09-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Question..
Are 2 locking hood pins by themselves (no hood latch) adequate protection from keeping the hood from flying open at speed?
As far as the locking pins are concerned they are the round almost flush style locking pins that uses a round key to lock/unlock.
The hood is a fiberglass Eleanor 2 hood. We are using the factory hinges with lighter weight springs.
Scott

HILROD
09-27-2005, 06:18 PM
What speed? I had a set of those but didn't use them because I thought the hood might open in spite of them. I went with normal pins and a metal bracket I made to work with the stock latch. Not on a mustand thought. FRANK

442olds
09-28-2005, 10:17 AM
The hood locks with the barrel key are not worth the metal they are made from. The roll pins that lock into the keepers can and will work their way out over time and then your hood will be free to do whatever. I had them on my vette for a few miles lost two roll pins and used two sets of locks before switching to the standard hood pins. Luckily my hood opens reverse of normal hoods so it just bounced around a little and chipped some paint on the doors. I was working on make new centers for the mr gasket hood pins out of say stainless or maybe even titanium. If you replace the center with some metal that can handle the loads then they will work just fine and provide a little protection for the theives.