PDA

View Full Version : What's a good brand for speakers and amp

65 drop top
08-27-2014, 10:46 PM
What is a good brand for some speakers and a sub. I'm thinking about either 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 two ways which ever will fit in the doors and quarters. I'd like to run a sub in the trunk. I'm not trying to build a show stopping system that is super loud, but I'd it to sound presentable if I turn it up a little. If possible I'd like one amp to power everything. What are some recommendations on speakers and amps. Not looking for entry level but not super high end either, just a basic quality system.

67rally
08-28-2014, 04:24 AM
Can't go wrong with JL Audio, they have a nice amp that will run 4 speakers and a sub. Their subs sound great as well.

I've actually had good luck with Alpine amps, but not a fan of their speakers. They have a similar amp to the JL Audio that I run in my daily driver, with a JL sub in the back.

Different brands of speakers sound better for different types of music. They best thing would be to listen to some different brands first before you put together an entire system.

mitch_04
08-28-2014, 05:05 AM
JL is a great brand. That being said, often times companies excel at certain things. Focal is well known for your high frequency speakers like mid ranges and tweeters, other brands are more well known for there subwoofers or amplifiers.

Give us a budget to work within and we'll give you some ideas.

65 drop top
08-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Budget, I really have no idea what decent equipment costs these days. I'll just say a grand because I'm going to need a head unit and wires too and would like to stay around 1500 total. Am I even in the ballpark?

67rally
08-28-2014, 01:18 PM
JL is a great brand. That being said, often times companies excel at certain things. Focal is well known for your high frequency speakers like mid ranges and tweeters, other brands are more well known for there subwoofers or amplifiers.

Give us a budget to work within and we'll give you some ideas.

Agreed, I actually have Focal 6.5 separates, and 5.25 coaxial in my Jeep, along with the Alpine PDX-V9 amp and a JL sub, and it sounds great.

Budget, I really have no idea what decent equipment costs these days. I'll just say a grand because I'm going to need a head unit and wires too and would like to stay around 1500 total. Am I even in the ballpark?

You can definitely put a system together for around a grand. I'm not sure what size front and rears you would need, but just for example using 6 1/2's front and 6x9's rear, all prices (approx) from amazon as of today.

Alpine PDX-V9 (100wx4 + 500wx1) - $450
JL Audio 12W3V3 12" Sub (500w) - $225
Focal ISC 165 (6.5" 70w) - $150
Focal IC 690 (6x9" 80w) - $170

You would need to build a sub box, or buy one that will fit your space, but that would be a great sounding system, and very similar to what's in my Grand Cherokee, and it's plenty loud but still sounds good.

I have also had really good success with Infinity's Kappa line of speakers. They produce some nice sounds. Their Reference line doesn't seem to hold up to abuse quite as well. Although I have a set of 12" Infinity Subs in my '67 Camaro at getting 500w rms each and it pounds pretty good. I have a set of Alpine Type R's (6 1/2's and 6x9) in the Camaro, and I think they sound a little muted, but it's probably not the best sounds stage to be listening in either...

***Edit***

Also, the JL Audio amp I was referencing above is the JL Audio HD 900/5. It has the same power output as the Alpine PDX-V9, but costs about $300 more if you can find it on sale.

65 drop top
08-28-2014, 04:00 PM
It's going in a 65 Chevelle convertible. Front speaker will be in the doors. Gonna try to fit speakers in the rear arm rest area. It's pretty tight right there though. And the sub and amp in the trunk. What's the best type of box for a convertible?

juggernaut
08-28-2014, 06:28 PM
I went with Sundown amps. If your going to do the install yourself, take in account product warranty. I can't say "All", but all the big players that I've researched will not warranty unless a "factory authorized dealer" does the install. It was explained to me, that you have to have a dealer go-to-bat for you to get a warranty repair. Sundown gives an openly stated 2 year warranty, even on DIY install, and will offer a discount on new equipment if the damage was your fault. No one else comes close on warranty.

As far as a sub, I picked up a Fi Audio Q (http://store.ficaraudio.com/q-series/) 12" 2 ohm DVC. I liked that every sub is a custom piece for the same price as mass produced sub.

scott_fx
08-29-2014, 01:16 AM
If I had to build a good quality system in your budget if go with:
hat imagine components = $300
Tc sounds epic 12" in a sealed box
Amps. I'd look to find some of the remaining soundstream reference amps (they are really good sounding and were diet cheap on closeout last I looked. Get 125 wrms for the fronts and 500 wrms @ 4 ohms for the sub

Then spend some money on; at the very least, deadening the doors

That system would sound amazing and won't break the bank. Also with the hat's, you have the option of mounting the tweeters on the woofer if you don't want to mount the tweeter separately.

therobski
02-01-2015, 07:11 AM
Speaking of Soundstream, I found and "old school 80s model 302" 300 amp Soundstream Rubicon, in the original box looks like it was hardly used for $80.00 on E-bay. Have not tried my system out yet. Just an idea for you.

kevs79
02-24-2015, 08:02 PM
I have an Infinity Basslink in my Camaro and it sounds great for the money. Even w/my over 20 year old Pioneer Supertuner and 6x9's. They get great reviews and you can pick one up from Amazon Warehouse deals for around 150.00 shipped. It is fairly compact so doesnt take up much space in the trunk either. It would not power the smaller speakers but if you got a high powered head unit that would work for those.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000063TJY/ref=sr_1_1_olp?m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&ie=UTF8&qid=1424836705&sr=8-1&keywords=infinity+basslink&condition=used

WallaceMFG
02-25-2015, 09:53 AM
I've been happy with Alpine speakers, specifically their Type-R series. Put some in a boat and they sound pretty good even though they're only running off the head unit. I'm also a fan of Rockford Fosgate equipment, that's what I use in my DD

califconstruct
02-28-2015, 10:40 PM
I'm going with:

Alpine PDX-V9 (100wx4 + 500wx1) - $450

JL Audio 12w6 12" Sub

Focal Access 130 CA1 (5.25" ) - $135.00 - almost 50% off at Amazon - last years model.

Focal Access 6x9" - $170

Focal Access 4" - dash