PDA

View Full Version : any painters in here?? need help painting chrome

weircc
08-22-2014, 08:33 PM
im wanting to paint some chrome wheels black in the center. i was watching an old muscle car and oh boy started out using a adhesion promoter followed by ppg's dp90lf with dp402lf NON ETCHING SEALER!! but everything im reading says that the ppg line isn't very good anymore. so my question is what are you guys using to paint over chrome??? is it holding up?? who else makes a non etching sealer? the wheels are brand new and i would rather paint because im using a black pearl on the car and would like wheels to match.

astroracer
08-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Non-etching sealer? What kind of prep work on the chrome? Any chrome bumpers or wheels I've painted have been roughed up with 180 0r 220 grit on a D/A first. I then shoot them with Dupont's Vari_Prime self-etching primer. If no finish work is needed you can spray top coat over this. Otherwise hit it with a couple of wet coats of primer surfacer and go from there.
I doubt very much an adhesion promoter will do any good on a smooth chrome surface. If there is nothing for the paint to adhere to it will peel off.
Mark

Motorcitydak
08-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Use plasti-dip, then you can peel it off and change it if you want to later on and won't permanently change your new wheels

TheJDMan
08-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Second the Plasti-Dip.

MonzaRacer
09-04-2014, 04:49 PM
^what they said!

weircc
09-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Thanks for replys fellas I think I'm gonna use the method from the episode of muscle car

jasonsnova
09-07-2014, 05:38 PM
I'm a painter and own a body shop.....FYI chrome is difficult for proper adhesion. Best thing to do is sand with da or by hand with 180 grit then epoxy prime . Then paint or if you need a little fill coat with urethane primer then paint....good luck

PRRC
09-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Bulldog adhesion promoter. You can buy it at your local paint store in aerosol. We use it when doing plastic interior pieces when changing color. We wanted to see how it would hold up on chrome as well. we took a chrome lung nut. used the bulldog adhesion promoter painted it black. let it dry used and impact on the lug on a wheel. didn't even put a scratch on it.

Auto Rod Technologies
09-09-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm a painter and own a body shop.....FYI chrome is difficult for proper adhesion. Best thing to do is sand with da or by hand with 180 grit then epoxy prime . Then paint or if you need a little fill coat with urethane primer then paint....good luck

I second this.. I have also blasted it for items such as bumpers.

jasonsnova
09-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Bulldog adhesion promoter. You can buy it at your local paint store in aerosol. We use it when doing plastic interior pieces when changing color. We wanted to see how it would hold up on chrome as well. we took a chrome lung nut. used the bulldog adhesion promoter painted it black. let it dry used and impact on the lug on a wheel. didn't even put a scratch on it.

I'd be leary of this....I've used bulldog before....and use a simular product by standox now. It's meant for plastic. But if it works.....??????

weircc
09-10-2014, 04:23 PM
i dont really know i have read a ton of different ways im going with muscle car episode method

PRRC
09-13-2014, 05:36 AM
Bull dog is not meant for just plastic.
I'd be leary of this....I've used bulldog before....and use a simular product by standox now. It's meant for plastic. But if it works.....??????

snappytravis
09-13-2014, 05:57 AM
I have used bulldog on interior jams and plastic. I would make sure the chrome is sandblasted and primed with either etching or epoxy. Then seal and paint. The edges are probably the most important.