PDA

View Full Version : Ford 9" differentials?

blown69nova
09-26-2005, 06:05 PM
I have a Currie 9" with a Detroit locker in the car now but I am looking to change. The locker causes the car to "wag it's tail" violently at the strip on the second and third gear change! I want to know if there is a diff. available that will handle the power of a 10 sec. car but still be streetable. I don't want a spool, as this is a street car first and foremost! any help/suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

streetk14
09-26-2005, 07:48 PM
I love my Truetrac. It's the 3rd and best diff I've had in my 9". I've put about 600 hp through it with the nitrous flowing a few times, but I haven't beat on it at the drag strip yet. Will it hold up in a 10 second car? There's only one way to find out :)
-Andy

blown69nova
09-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. Trutrac is exactly what I am looking at, Someone let me know if you have beat one at the strip. I did talk to Tractech and they say some Mustang guys are running nines in their 8.8's- what do you think?
Thanks, Steve

streetk14
09-27-2005, 04:40 PM
I don't know what else to suggest. The locker is the strongest thing out there, and probably the best for a car that is heavily drag raced. But as you have noticed, they can be harsh. I think the Truetrac is the best limited slip out right now for the 9" rears. My last diff was an Auburn pro series. It worked great at first, but wore out fairly quickly. The Truetrac hooks up just as well, doesn't seem to wear out, and is smoother on the street. If 9 second cars are running them, I guess they can hold up. Good luck,
Andy

funcars
09-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Also take a look at a Black Gold from DPI. It is a torque sensing diff used in stock cars when rules allow. I have one and it works great road racing. I don't know about drag racing - call DPI and see what they say. I've talked to them several different times and they have been very helpful.