PDA

View Full Version : Carb relocation - any one ever tried it?

Zachalanche
08-18-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm toying with the idea of relocating the carburetor on a car I am building to resolve a hood clearance issue. I realize this idea may be a bit out there, but I have seen it done on draw through turbo applications, and was curious if it's ever bee done on an NA motor. Assuming I built an adaptor with smooth turns and plenty of cross sectional area, could this be done without a negative impact on performance or drivability?

Obvious answers to this are: give in and put a hood scoop on the car, or get a different intake manifold, but I'm really looking for some technical thoughts on the feasibility of the question above.

Input appreciated.
thanks.

DreamRyder1963
08-18-2014, 04:49 PM
My concern would be a possible drop in effective vacuum from the intake. In a draw through application there is another source of force drawing the fuel/air mixture to the intake manifold which is not there on a NA application.

astroracer
08-19-2014, 01:56 AM
Chrysler did it 60 years ago...
http://www.chrysler300club.com/uniq/allaboutrams/allaboutrams.html

Decurion
08-19-2014, 03:04 AM
My barely educated guess is that youll lose some throttle response from the added plenum volume.

ChevelleNV
08-19-2014, 07:10 AM
be careful, fuel does not like turning corners....

Zachalanche
08-19-2014, 08:18 AM
be careful, fuel does not like turning corners....

based on your comment, are you suggesting there may be a potential problem with fuel pooling up at some location?

Zachalanche
08-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Chrysler did it 60 years ago...
http://www.chrysler300club.com/uniq/allaboutrams/allaboutrams.html

Fascinating.

ChevelleNV
08-19-2014, 08:21 AM
based on your comment, are you suggesting there may be a potential problem with fuel pooling up at some location?

Yes..remember fuel is heavier than air...the straighter the shot it is for the fuel to make it to the valve the better.. why do you think tunnel rams run so well... because the fuel doesn't have to turn any corners...

Zachalanche
08-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Yes..remember fuel is heavier than air...the straighter the shot it is for the fuel to make it to the valve the better.. why do you think tunnel rams run so well... because the fuel doesn't have to turn any corners...

makes sense. sounds like at minimum I may be negating the benefit of having a high rise intake.
thanks.

ChevelleNV
08-19-2014, 09:20 AM
makes sense. sounds like at minimum I may be negating the benefit of having a high rise intake.
thanks.

Pretty much...