PDA

View Full Version : dana 60 rear differential squeaking?

StandardRS
08-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Ok so the rear differential is a dana 60 with dutchman axles. I am unsure what lsd is in it. So I have drove the car a total of 10 miles maybe. A light squeel is coming from the pinon area. Parts are all new. No play what so ever. I have used 75w90 no lsd additive. ? Iam at a loss any info would be great! Would not using the additive cause this?

bryant
08-15-2014, 09:53 PM
if no lsd additive was the problem it would only make a groaning or chattering noise when turning.
squealing from the pinion area is usually a dry u joint. their is a small chance that the pinion seal may be squealing on the yoke but doubtful.

MrQuick
08-16-2014, 07:16 AM
if no lsd additive was the problem it would only make a groaning or chattering noise when turning.
squealing from the pinion area is usually a dry u joint. their is a small chance that the pinion seal may be squealing on the yoke but doubtful.

you can try to lube the seal and see if it goes away.

If you have access to a lift hoist you can run it up on the rack and use an automotive stethescope or heater hose to your ear to pin point the noise.

StandardRS
08-22-2014, 08:39 PM
So it was either the seal or the front pinion bearing. Figured I would try those before tearing it all apart. And its fixed!