PDA

View Full Version : Hot August Nights should be on your 2015 Bucket List- Full 2014 Recap

Trackside-Brandy
08-13-2014, 04:32 PM

Hot August Nights is always a show worth attending, but now it has become even more appealing to our pro-touring community with the recent addition of an autocross. The show has been held in Reno, Nevada since 1986 and has grown into one of the largest car shows in the country. There is literally something for everyone. From show-n-shine, drag racing, a swap meet, cruising the strip, the newly added Barrett-Jackson Cup Award, and our favorite, the autocross; it might just take all week to cover the entire event.

Here's a quick preview of the nightlife at Hot August Nights. It's not too often you see a scene like this these days:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JU00bxQ4-cw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Our friends over at American Streetcar Association decided it would be a good idea to add an autocross to Hot August Nights. It sounds like the autocross was such a success, Hot August Nights wants it back as a main attraction next year. This was great news for Pro-Touring.com because we hope to join in on their adventure next year to see firsthand just how much fun this group had.

The journey to Reno started on July 26th as Bill Howell loaded his Charger and hit the road for a fun filled week of autocrossing. The trip was not a short, but the adventure was well worth it in the end.

A unique twist to this year's Hot August Nights was the partnering between them and the Barrett-Jackson Auction, allowing many of the shows participants to attend both events during the week. This allowed for the ASCS crew to have the best of both worlds.

Autocross started Wednesday at the Reno Livestock Center. Bill and crew got the course up and took a couple laps to make sure everything was good to go before the track went hot.

A couple of familiar faces and cars were present at the Hot August Nights Autocross including Rob Chandler and his '68 Camaro. For those that live on the West Coast, you know that Rob is no stranger to an autocross. He is a veteran of the Goodguys Autocross and several other pro-touring race event. If you haven't met Rob and his wife Michelle before, they are honestly some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Rob came in second at the Hot August Nights Autocross. If it wouldn't have been for a ringer, he might have just placed first. Sorry Rob, maybe next time! We loved seeing the car out there and can't wait to catch up with you at another event.

Speaking of this ringer... if anyone has ever heard of the name Bruce Cambern, then you know who I am talking about. If you are scratching your head at this moment asking why that name sounds so familiar, then after this dead give-away you'll figure it out. Bruce Cambern owns authentic '66 AC Cobra. No folks, not a replica; it's the real thing.

Many might remember this Cobra at OUSCI back in 2009. It was the overall winner of the 2009 event. It was nice to see the Cobra back out and at it again, this time with driver Scott Fraser behind the wheel. The Cobra had no problem taking the lead and placed first overall in the Hot August Nights Autocross.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fhyZl3yWltY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

In addition to the win, the '66 AC Cobra won a spot to participate in the Goodguys Scottsdale Autocross Shootout in November. Hopefully we will be able to catch up with this car and watch it compete in person once again in a couple months.

Hot August Nights also brought out several manufactures. Will Baty with Centerforce Clutches made his way out to the autocross Saturday morning and caught a ride with Rob Chandler. From the looks of it, both were ready to start warming up the track for the rest of the competitors that followed.

Overall it looked like the weather was perfect, the course was just right and everyone went home happy. This is definitely an event on our bucket list for next year. We can't thank the American Streetcar Series enough for sharing their experience with us including a complete photo album recap below. We hope that everyone had a great time and encourage anyone else that attended the event to post photos and videos right here on Pro-Touring.com.

<iframe src="http://embedsocial.com/facebook_album/album_photos/762755383770220" width="900" height="1450" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"></iframe>

Remember folks you don't have to be fast to come out and play on the autocross. Here's a perfect example of a Camaro that went out to Hot August Nights, took advantage of the autocross and looked like they had a hell of a time doing it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TL0yb-N2VNU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Interested in attending the 2015 Hot August Nights, but want to know more about the show? Hot August Nights put this great video together about the event:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iQYVdsNGBhg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

For more information about American Streetcar Series Events please visit: http://www.americanstreetcarseries.com/
or visit their Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Streetcar-Series/269479689764461

rdchandler
08-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Nice report Brandy, This event really is fun with so much going on, its 5 days non stop day and night!
Thanks,
Rob C

struck by Lightning
08-15-2014, 08:18 PM
There are so many things going on at HAN that we chose to run on Saturday only. Bill and the ASCS crew did a great job and we look forward to next year.

Bill Howell
08-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Great report Brandy. The autocross was a late addition to 2014 event but look for much coverage from HANs about it, and for a much bigger presents in 2015. We appreciate all the friends and members from Pro-touring that came out and beat on their cars. It was truly a blast.

CampbellshotrodsAZ
08-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Great coverage, looks awesome. I'm going to definitely shoot for 2015 as my 67 Camaro will be driveable by then, and will be capable of making the journey from Phoenix with EFI, 6 speed, and A/C.

SicMonte
09-22-2014, 04:20 AM
Hey those pics look familiar!! =) Great write up!

Here's a video I put together of my autox footage!

GVUxXCbV6zg

protouring70
09-22-2014, 04:43 PM
WOW. ......maybe I need to put this on the calendar. ......budget planning now!

Django
07-31-2015, 05:31 PM
I'll be there in the Craftsman Comet. First time for HAN. The Comet is getting auctioned for charity at Barrett Jackson.

Bill Howell
07-31-2015, 06:03 PM
My rig with cones, timing and Charger leave Pigeon Forge Sunday morning. I fly out on Tuesday, set up autocross on Wednesday then it is on the rest of the week. We will visit BJ probably on Friday night, watch for the crew to be hamming it up on TV again this year. Great venue for sure, can't wait.

alwaysracin
07-31-2015, 09:56 PM
awful news.

The car is not back together in time to make Hot August Nights this year. We had a great time last year and disappointed we are going to miss it. Hopefully we will get to make the trip next year.

If anyone is on the fence about making the trip. DO IT! Bill and his guys are great. You will have a good time

Scott Fraser

Project92rs
08-01-2015, 11:24 AM
We load up and head out on Tuesday evening with plans to hit Reno by mid day Wednesday and pitch in with final setup of the course. Looking forward to this since we haven't been to Reno before.

Cobra 498
08-01-2015, 11:29 AM
awful news.

The car is not back together in time to make Hot August Nights this year. We had a great time last year and disappointed we are going to miss it. Hopefully we will get to make the trip next year.

If anyone is on the fence about making the trip. DO IT! Bill and his guys are great. You will have a good time

Scott Fraser

In case you are wondering we are waiting for new brake rotors being built by a NASCAR brake shop in Mooresville, unfortunately we come second to the NASCAR teams needing brake parts.
We were told 1-3 weeks for new parts looks like it will be three to four weeks before we are up and running. We had a blast at HAN last year with Bill and his guys, you will too, so sign up if you can make it. I plan on attending to watch and see all the great cars that attend.

RS_Customs
08-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Looking forward to some fun times!!

See you guys Wednesday!

Robert

badazz81z28
08-04-2015, 07:48 PM
I'm there this week. I'll be at the GSR tomorrow