PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Temps

mike23109
08-10-2014, 05:51 AM
I have a Pro Charged 1970 Chevelle with a FAST XFI 2.0 EFI. I was recently doing some auto crossing at Hot August Nights. I had about half a tank of gas. The crowds were low and I was able to make numerous back-to-back runs. Needless to say, it was hot. I'd do some runs then park the car for a while to let it cool down.

When I left, I went to fill up. Not paying attention, I got the pump that takes forever and just dribbles out the gas. Well, it really filled the tank...or should a say, overfilled it. There are warnings everywhere about the altitude, heat and overfilling your tank. As the gas expanded, due to the heat and altitude, it began coming out of my vent tube. And it continued to come out. The pressure inside the tank forced the fuel past my one-way valve. At this point there was pretty much nothing I could do except hope I didn't catch my car on fire. After the gas quit coming out of the vent there was still a lot of pressure in the tank. I had to stop several times and open the gas cap to relieve the pressure. The next day, after everything cooled down, no problems.

Now the questions. Would it be feasible to place heat reflecting material over the fuel lines to prevent them from picking up the ambient heat or would the heat generated by pumping and returning the fuel to the tank be trapped and unable to dissipate, being trapped by the thermal sleeve? Second question, what about placing something like Dynamat on the bottom of my gas tank to prevent radiant heat from the pavement from being absorbed by the tank.