PDA

View Full Version : mods for a 12 bolt housing??

72'Monte
08-05-2014, 10:10 PM
I know about upgrading the internals,but can the housing be made stronger, like welding the center chunk to the tubes.?

raustinss
08-06-2014, 01:54 AM
Yes that weld can be done...i had it done to my 12 bolt it was tig welded all the way around each axle tube. Any decent auto machine shop should be able to do that. The biggest thing is that you need a bar that goes through the case to keep the bearing centerlines in line. Being as the heat from the welding will want to move the axle tubes. I also polished the inside of my case....why I dunno seemed like a good idea lol. Keep the oil draining to the bottom of the case faster !? . What I plan on doing is a full floater set up when I can decide which company I want to work with. Detroit speed is currently working on something but I don't know if it will work on a 12 bolt. The gmr has a full floater kit but it's pretty dear $$$$. I have a LPW cover but no girdle I'm only pushing 650 hp....no need for anything more then a studed cover. I plan on running a carbon fiber driveshaft with porsche style cv joints instead of u joints. That is all the mods I have done or am doing. Don't know if it helps but if you have any questions please feel free to ask

72'Monte
08-06-2014, 12:50 PM
I didn't know that the axle tubes could move when I get them welded. I have the summit version of the LPW cover and aftermarket c clip axles. I plan to go to 33 or 35 spline axles and a stronger posi with 4:11 gears.

raustinss
08-06-2014, 03:39 PM
I'll try to take a picture and post it... The shop that did mine had to add weld beads to the front of the one axle tube to heat shrink it straight

72'Monte
08-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Thanks,I am a bit new to this

raustinss
08-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Here are a couple pictures of those welds I was referring to.. There are 3 plug welds which is what the factory uses to hold the axle tubes in place, I had these welds drilled out and re welded as well. In the pictures you can see the welds there are a little hard to see clearly thru the powder coat but are probably 6-8 tig beads. I originally thought there was only a few... Been awhile since I really looked into guess. Again any questions just ask and don't worry about being "new" to anything. This is a expensive hobby and stuff changes quite fast. I've changed my soooo many times as to what I'm going to do it would make your head spin lol.

72'Monte
08-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the pics. I have a friend that has a fab shop