PDA

View Full Version : edelbrock carb help needed

dusterbd13
08-05-2014, 05:16 PM
so ive ben fighting carb issues in my duster for a while. its bad enough to where ive all but stopped driving it.

idle mixture is set properly with a vacuum gauge, with the ac compressor on, fully warmed up.

electric fuel pump, regulated to 5.5 psi.

floats set to 1/2 from the carb gasket to the top of the float with the cover inverted.

stock jets, rods, and springs.

3/8 thick insulating carb gasket.

air gap intake

so my issues are a few fold.
1. will not restart hot. seems to be vapor locking.
2. doesn't pull nearly as hard as with the 850 double pumper I had.
3. erratic idle with ac compressor on.
4. diesels on cutoff.

while adjusting float level tonight in a vain attempt to solve the hot start issue, I forgot to put the metering rods and springs back in. no covers either. the car ran significantly better when I got on it. almost like the old double pumper. I was excited. when I put the rods back in, it was back to its same old tricks. I don't know if it was all in my head, but with no rods or covers the hot start issue seemed all but gone, but I didn't really validate that well. also didn't seem to even think about dieseling.

so what am I missing? im thinking that the rod and jet combo is way too lean, causing most my troubles, and the springs too stiff. does this sound right?

please, help me out here. I just want to finish out until my leg surgery driving this car.

Michael

dobie6982
08-06-2014, 04:32 AM
On the hot start it sounds like your fuel bowls may be getting to hot and boiling the fuel. Try putting lighter springs on the rods so they suck down faster.
What size carb is it? Can you tell me a little about your engine?

MonzaRacer
08-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Actually first of all , find someone with a sniffer and rollers or buy a wideband kit. Sounds like its set up lean.
As for not idling right with AC on you need an idle step up motor adapted to crack throttle more as ac is turned on.
Kind of doubtfull an airgap intake is boiling fuel unless underhood temps are extreme.
Whoa, wait a minute lighter springs will make it leaner, sounds like its lean already. Size of carb might help. Gnerally I get them starting and running good even if rich, then after sorting that out and timing then I start dialing out fuel.
Also check accel pump arm location. Get as long a stroke as possible.
Pump throttle couple times nad crank engine over.

hipockets
04-16-2015, 04:40 PM
What part # carb do you have? Start with setting the floats exactly to spec. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/install/1000/1404_manual.pdf

Then change the step up springs to the plain, for 8" vacuum. And bend the accel pump connector until you have no play whatsoever in the accel pump arm/piston. The white accel pump should move approx 1/4", measured from the bottom of the hole where the lever attaches to the carb body.

You must set the idle with the ac off, to no higher than 900 rpm. And to use the ac, you need to install an idle compensator kit, #8059. Otherwise you have the idle screw in too far, which is why you have the dieseling, erratic idle, and hard starting. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/carburetors/access-service.shtml

Did you change your timing from when the 850 holley was on?