PDA

View Full Version : Balancer installation - Loctite?

69lt4
07-28-2014, 09:24 AM
After losing a balancer at Heidts, I'm getting around to installing a new one (GM). I was going to purchase an install tool, is there any recommendations? Hawk brand?
I assume the process would be: put the car in 6th gear (T56) and parking brake on. Use install tool to get balancer aligned with other pulleys. Install ARP bolt with loctite on threads. What should be used under the bolt washer?
Torque to 235 ft-lbs? I have read on the LS forums that ARP has given different values, what have people used?
Appreciate any input.
Thanks,
Kevin

71RS/SS396
07-29-2014, 06:48 AM
After losing a balancer at Heidts, I'm getting around to installing a new one (GM). I was going to purchase an install tool, is there any recommendations? Hawk brand?
I assume the process would be: put the car in 6th gear (T56) and parking brake on. Use install tool to get balancer aligned with other pulleys. Install ARP bolt with loctite on threads. What should be used under the bolt washer?
Torque to 235 ft-lbs? I have read on the LS forums that ARP has given different values, what have people used?
Appreciate any input.
Thanks,
Kevin
Stock or aftermarket crank? Stock balancer or aftermarket? We've found that sometimes with aftermarket balancers and cranks that the stack-up of tolerances can leave you with little to no press on the balancer. It won't matter what bolt or thread locker you put on the bolt, it will still slip the balancer and loosen the bolt, we started pinning the balancer just like what is done for a blower and it solves the problem. Lingenfelter is 1 place I know that sells the kit http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATI918993&Category_Code=P016&Store_Code=LPE#.U9ezZ2PG-8A

69lt4
07-30-2014, 04:34 AM
Thanks Tim for the information.
Stock LS2 crank and running corvette balancer for the corvette accessory drive.
Kevin

71RS/SS396
07-30-2014, 05:32 AM
Thanks Tim for the information.
Stock LS2 crank and running corvette balancer for the corvette accessory drive.
Kevin

Red Loctite and torque to 250 ft/lbs with the ARP bolt.