PDA

View Full Version : LS1 Conversion for 1st Gen Camaro

jvest
09-25-2005, 08:54 AM
I know you guy's have talked about this a lot, but my eyes are now crossed after lookinng at this screen for the past week. I've got a 69 and my dad has a 68 camaro, that we're both restoring (frame off) at the same time. We've got two LS1's w/4L60E transmissions out of a 01 and 02 camaro and the 68 is ready for the motor & trans. I know there are sevral companys out there that offer conversion kits. The two that I have looked at the closest is Street & Performance and Brewer Restoration & Performance. I also know that the S&P kit moves the motor back and BRP leaves the more towards the front to clear the A/C compressor, but we're both using the vintage air sure fit kits so we may not need to worry about that. I don't know which set up works the best after the motor and transmission is installed(like driveshaft, header clearance,frame clearance, throttle cable, clearance around the engine bay to work on the motor, etc..), because setting the motor & trans in the frame is the easy part.The BRP kit requires the rack & pinion conversion that's really costly. We just want a good crusing car, not a race car. So who do you guy's recommend to use to make the conversion any easier after the motor and transmission is setting in the frame and is still resonibily priced? Also are the other companys out there that offer conversions worth looking, that may work just as well at a better price? Thanks for any help, Jim

CUSTOMFAB
09-25-2005, 07:25 PM
jvest,

We have a pan that will fit that conversion.

Bob

MuscleRodz
09-25-2005, 08:12 PM
I believe ATS is releasing LS1 install parts at SEMA in a couple weeks. They definitely know their stuff. If he doesn't also have a crossmember fabbed, I would call Bowtie overdrives. S&P does pan mods, maybe a few others out there. More than likely the drive shaft will need shortened as well.

Mike

chicane67
09-25-2005, 10:56 PM
Well, wasnt going to get into this one.....but.....

......Yes, SEMA will be full of surprises.

Yes, we do have a completely new kit just for the LSx specific conversion and its not that we have parts that will just mearly fit........ they were made specifically to fit the LSx and the related components in that exact chassis. Engine mounts, cross member, oil system, cooling system, fuel system........ and........ there might even be some exhaust stuff thrown in there........ as well as a few other things that you guys have been looking for. But who really knows....... https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/09/paranoid-1.gif

Yes, as our standard operating procedure goes, our kits are complete and all inclusive, setting new and much higher standards than previously available. We can do complete kits and/or supply a client with the individual parts that they require.

Remember one thing....... you get what you pay for, better deal or not. I would rather a client get what they need the first time, instead of having to replace it down the road from short cutting......

jvest
09-26-2005, 06:58 AM
Chicane67, Have you guy's got your kit priced yet. I'd talked to Tyler back a couple of months ago about the kit. At the time he wasn't sure about the 4L60E cross member. I like the idea of a "Complete Kit", if I can afford it. I'm sure my dads 68 budget can handle it, just don't no about mine. I've had to replace every piece of the outer sheet metal on my 69 and wife is about the kill me! Do you know what your tube size is on the headers and are they shorty or long tube? Thanks, Jim

chicane67
09-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Ah yes.... the wife induced death. Many in these parts know and understnad that completely !!

Tyler is working on pricing as we speak..... (as well as a few other hundred things) but I expect to have a solid price list very, very soon. SEMA has been keeping us busy, to say the least.

The exhaust question will be answered by your displacement. As for the design, I cant really let the cat out of the bag yet..... but its a combination of both.

But they look very, very similar to these.........

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

And maybe just like these:

jvest
09-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Chicane67, I'm glade to hear others share in my pain!!! When you guy's get everything set up and ready to sell, you need to let us know. Thanks, Jim

Rybar
09-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Jim, I went with the S&P mounts/oil pan, and ATS T56 kit. I made my decision based on keeping the stock rear-steer and S&P shorty header route. I also wanted to use my stock accesories and I deleted my AC. I like the way my engine sits close to the firewall, as soon you will find out. Once you get a nice rad in there, you wont have alot of clearance for an intake pipe.

If you want rack & pinion, and long tube headers I think you'll have to go with the BRP setup, and mod the subframe for the rack & pinion.

The ATS kit sounds nice, but I guess you gotta wait for it.

chicane67
09-26-2005, 01:06 PM
And some spy shots of the pan are in another thread here:

The Oil Pan Thread (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9883&page=2)

**Edited for picture size**

Todds69
09-26-2005, 04:13 PM
sweet...you dangled the other pics out there but they are tiny...Those headers are BAD @$$....

jvest
09-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Rybar, You've got a clean install. I'm beginning to like the motor setting back better, because of the clearance up front. My plans are one day of run a turbo set up, so that would leave a little more room to work with. I've about backed out of considering putting a rack & pinion on. The more I keep adding on, the longer it'll be before I get to drive this thing! When I first started I had big plans (mini-tubs, rack & pinion, turbo, 9:00 1/4 mile times, etc..), but after replacing all the outer sheet metal and then some, I'm ready to go riding. A lot of that stuff I can do later, except the mini-tubs because of the under side rhino-liner. Not to mention blowing the $25,000 to $30,000 budget I'd told my wife it's going to take to complete this project.

JMitch19
09-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Those headers look like a piece of art work. My fiance just bought some new pictures to hang on the wall at home. Maybe that means I can buy some headers to hang on my LS1????

jvest
09-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Sounds like a plan to me!! Let me know if it works for you.

black67ls1
12-14-2005, 06:08 AM
I'm nearly done with my 67 Camaro LS1. I went the BRP route. Rack and pinion ... motor set forward ... big BeCool radiator ... long tube headers from SW. The car is not running yet, but I like the way it went together. On the downside, I think the A/C is a problem going this route. The brackets supplied by BRP to mount the Sanden compressor used in the VintageAir system are poor. I don't think it's even workable. The stock compressor will fit fine, but I am told by VA that this compressor won't work with their system. Right now I have everything set up for the a/c except the compressor. Not sure what I'm going to do about it. Worst case is switch to mounting the accessories up high. Expensive. On the upside, the steering setup worked well with a slight difference compared to how BRP said to install it. BRP wants you to cut the crossmember and install a pipe to form a trough where the steering rod runs. Instead, we used an extra u-joint and ran the steering rod through the center (hollow) crossmember. The frame still gets notched at the front edge and the rack rotates and "leans back" a little more, but this is less drastic than cutting the crossmember from front to back. BTW, even though it wasn't necessary, the steering rod is supported by a heim joint with a bracket mounted where the old steering box was. If you're considering this, send me a message and I can explain it better.

1Bad68camaro
01-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Hey black67ls1, i am debating on doing a ls1 swap into my 68 camaro. Could you give me an idea of what all you had to buy extra to do the swap so i know what i'm getting into before i jump in head first. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I try to read up on things, i just dont have a whole lot of time right now. Thanks

MrQuick
01-16-2006, 10:14 PM
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14102