PDA

View Full Version : 69 rocker molding - how to remove without destroying

indyjps
09-24-2005, 11:56 PM
didnt find anything in search. does anyone have a picture of the clips or an easy way to remove this molding without kinking it. thanks

ProdigyCustoms
09-25-2005, 01:35 AM
The retainer is 4' long and the molding clamps over the top of the retainer, then rolls down to snap in place. Remove the phillips screws at each end. Then push down on the moulding with the palm of you hand and use a putty knife under the bottom of the molding to releive it..

Jim Nilsen
09-25-2005, 07:28 AM
You can also remove and replace the rocker moulding by sliding in on and off from the rear. If your tire is in the way remove it. It is best to put a piece of tape on the leading edge when installing so you don't scratch your paint. A thin piece of cardboard like from a matchbook cover will also protect the edge from scratching the paint.Deburing the front of the rolled lip edge with a piece of fine sandpaper will usually do the trick and you won't need the tape as long as you pull it on from the front and keep it pulled out from the paint as you pull it on. I have told others about this and have always heard good results . It doesn't look like it will work but it does and you don't need to use the putty knife which in the wrong hands will scratch paint . A plastic putty knife is definately recommended if you try it that way or put tape on the edge of the knife.

The trim is held on by a long strip that is riveted or screwed on depending if it is original. Or sometimes plastic clips onto welded on studs. I have seen it done all 3 ways. The replacements from GM used to come with the long metal strip.

Jim Nilsen

Todds69
09-25-2005, 11:03 AM
I don't want to steal the post but how do you remove the trim around the window and drip rail?

toxicz28
09-25-2005, 11:59 AM
I don't want to steal the post but how do you remove the trim around the window and drip rail?

I've read (translation: not actually tried) that a "church key" type bottle opener will work. Build up the rounded end with electrical tape and work your way from the front to the back. I don't know if it actually works, I'm sure your first time out, you will scratch paint. Be careful!

ProdigyCustoms
09-25-2005, 04:36 PM
I use a rigid putty knife, go under the lower edge abd pul it out a little at a time

SatisTraction
09-25-2005, 05:44 PM
I use a rigid putty knife, go under the lower edge abd pul it out a little at a time

that is how i do it, but i lube it up to help it out some. just go slow and do not kink it.

Damn True
03-23-2006, 03:35 PM
How about the SS trim that is at the top of the door? The one that wraps over from outside to right up next to the window felt?

Damn True
04-02-2008, 09:15 AM
I've read (translation: not actually tried) that a "church key" type bottle opener will work. Build up the rounded end with electrical tape and work your way from the front to the back. I don't know if it actually works, I'm sure your first time out, you will scratch paint. Be careful!

Yup. It works.

Did it last night.