PDA

View Full Version : Fast Ecu (map / Tps)

esenior
09-24-2005, 05:39 PM
I'm running a FAST ECU on a Sueprcharged ZZ502 motor. I've been working on wiring everything up, but came across a bit of information I need clarification on. I was reading "Building and Tuning High-Performance Electronic Fuel Injection" by Ben Strader when I came across his comment that the FAST unit does not support using TPS and a MAP sensor (top of page 97).

I've already got a TPS installed, should I not bother with the MAP sensor? And if I don't need it, then why did AZ Speed and Marine sell it to me? Anyone out there need a 3-Bar map sensor? :hammer:

---Eric

camcojb
09-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Well, I've had both on every FAST system I've done. There is something you lose with adding another thing, but it's not those items. How much boost are you going to run?

Jody

esenior
09-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Well, I've had both on every FAST system I've done. There is something you lose with adding another thing, but it's not those items. How much boost are you going to run?

Jody

Originally was targetting 6 pounds of boost with a 4" upper and 7" lower pulley (.57 Ratio), however I changed the pulley sizes to 2 7/8 by 5.5" (.52 ratio). Anyone know how to calculate the boost? or is this not enough information. I've tried getting answers from Whipple, but to say they've been un-helpful would be an understatement.

I'm curious what configuration causes you to lose something...can you elaborate. I'm running an MSD 8366 GM Distributor with an MSD 8226 GM Coil. The ECU is running closed loop in batch mode. I'm all ears to any concerns, warnings, suggestions, ...

On a different subject Jody....have you gotten the reverse light part of your tail lights figured out yet? I talked to someone a few months ago and they said you were working on getting the reverse light worked into the lents, but wasn't available yet. I'm dying to buy a set, but would like to get them with the reverse light.

Thanks......Eric

camcojb
09-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally was targetting 6 pounds of boost with a 4" upper and 7" lower pulley (.57 Ratio), however I changed the pulley sizes to 2 7/8 by 5.5" (.52 ratio). Anyone know how to calculate the boost? or is this not enough information. I've tried getting answers from Whipple, but to say they've been un-helpful would be an understatement.

I'm curious what configuration causes you to lose something...can you elaborate. I'm running an MSD 8366 GM Distributor with an MSD 8226 GM Coil. The ECU is running closed loop in batch mode. I'm all ears to any concerns, warnings, suggestions, ...

On a different subject Jody....have you gotten the reverse light part of your tail lights figured out yet? I talked to someone a few months ago and they said you were working on getting the reverse light worked into the lents, but wasn't available yet. I'm dying to buy a set, but would like to get them with the reverse light.

Thanks......Eric

I think when you start using the nitrous controls you lose the fan control, or something to that affect. My question on the boost is that a three bar map is good for almost 30 psi of boost; there is NO advantage to running it and several disadvantages if you aren't going to run that much boost. A 2 bar would be the best choice if you're going up to 15 psi or so. With the 3 bar you lose a lot of resolution, meaning the VE table will have one third of it taken up by areas you won't even reach, so you lose a lot of area to tune in.

The reverse lights have been done for a couple guys I believe, but on a case by case basis. Problem is the fit of the clear lense has to be perfect without gaps and the lense cutting people are struggling with that. You can call Pascual at the shop to see if he'll do another, but he's really cramming to get some new stuff done for our booth at SEMA, plus keeping progress on a couple pro tour cars at the shop.

Jody

bonesfab
09-26-2005, 07:36 AM
I believe when you go sequential, you lose fan control. If its not seguential your fine. You def. need tps sensor but if you run aplha n mode you dont need map sensor. But don't run alpha n mode. If you are running less than 15 lbs of boost stick with a 2-bar sensor. jim

camcojb
09-26-2005, 11:07 AM
I believe when you go sequential, you lose fan control. If its not seguential your fine. You def. need tps sensor but if you run aplha n mode you dont need map sensor. But don't run alpha n mode. If you are running less than 15 lbs of boost stick with a 2-bar sensor. jim

That was it, sequential loses fan control. I knew it was something I hadn't done so it was a non-issue for me.

Yeah, don't run Alpha-N!

Jody

Blown353
09-26-2005, 11:26 AM
The FAST unit most definately supports both TPS and a MAP, and you need both!

You also need the TPS for Acceleration Enrichment parameters; namely, AE vs. TPS rate and AE % vs. TPS position. both are important to have.

The TPS sensor is also required for the ECU to enable IAC and timing trim functions during idle; when the TPS falls below whatever value you set for your idle, the ECU will start actively using the IAC and timing trim to maintain the idle speed.

As far as FAST options, I know you lose the fan control ability with sequential and/or with the 2-stage nitrous option. Another option (I can't recall which) means you lose fuel pump control. Yet another option I can't recall means you lose IAC functionality.

Troy