PDA

View Full Version : 17X8.5 or 17x8 for front?

toofun
09-11-2004, 04:47 AM
OK,

I know this has been beaten to death but need to clarify something.Have a difference of opinion here what are the best rims to use. I have a 69 comvertible camaro with a 2 inch drop in the front and rear, global west upper control arms. What is the biggest rim size and backspacing I can go that will work for my application. I have had some say 17x8 with a 5 inch backspace and some say 17x8.5 with a 5 inch backspacing. Which one will work better with no interference and what is the biggest tire size I can put on there? THIS IS FOR THE FRONT.

Thanks
Mark

TurboLark
09-11-2004, 06:26 AM
OK,

I know this has been beaten to death but need to clarify something.Have a difference of opinion here what are the best rims to use. I have a 69 comvertible camaro with a 2 inch drop in the front and rear, global west upper control arms. What is the biggest rim size and backspacing I can go that will work for my application. I have had some say 17x8 with a 5 inch backspace and some say 17x8.5 with a 5 inch backspacing. Which one will work better with no interference and what is the biggest tire size I can put on there? THIS IS FOR THE FRONT.

Thanks
Mark
I'd pick the tire size first, then get the correct width rim for the tire. or handling purposes, i wouldnt run more that a 245 on a 8-8.5 rim. For best sidewall strength and handling a 225 is the real size for a 8" rim. Bigger than that you start rolling the tire over in hard cornering. For handling I have always used a 9-9.5 rim with 245 tires.