PDA

View Full Version : Holley HP EFI, sequential on buick 350

Nothingface5384
07-01-2014, 07:55 PM
What would be my best option to accomplish going distributorless?
of course id need a custom trigger wheel

would a ford EDIS-8 setup work well with my HP efi?
or go GM DIS

sccacuda
07-02-2014, 04:48 AM
Check with the dampener companies. Many sell with a SB or BB Chevy front bolt pattern for all makes and models. Then you can just use the Holley DIS kit for a Chevy and simply bolt on the tone wheel. You will need to change your crank pulley to whichever bolt pattern your using. Jones Racing Pulleys has a huge assortment that will get you the proper depth or alignment.

I went through this on my Mopar and that's how I solved it.

Nothingface5384
07-02-2014, 05:49 AM
Check with the dampener companies. Many sell with a SB or BB Chevy front bolt pattern for all makes and models. Then you can just use the Holley DIS kit for a Chevy and simply bolt on the tone wheel. You will need to change your crank pulley to whichever bolt pattern your using. Jones Racing Pulleys has a huge assortment that will get you the proper depth or alignment.

I went through this on my Mopar and that's how I solved it.

Where did you buy yours?

sccacuda
07-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Where did you buy yours?

I've got an ATI, but I know that Innovators West will do the same.

I think your going to be stuck with a distributor for sequential use. You can use a FAST or Accell and pull both cam and crank from it (dual sync), although the small reluctor is not very accurate. I'd stick with the large tone wheel.
I'm using a crank wheel and an Accel distributor with the top removed. Their is a place that makes a billet flat top to replace the distributor cap, but can't remember who.

Ollie8974
07-02-2014, 12:41 PM
You don't need a $400.00 Duel sync distributor.
This guy has done a lot with Buick EFI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGSrYLsvxPM

Stock HEI distributor. Lock out mechanical advance. Remove vacuum advance. remove all but one set of teeth on the star wheel and reluctor.
Then if you want to really get fancy.

Nothingface5384
07-02-2014, 12:49 PM
I've got an ATI, but I know that Innovators West will do the same.

I think your going to be stuck with a distributor for sequential use. You can use a FAST or Accell and pull both cam and crank from it (dual sync), although the small reluctor is not very accurate. I'd stick with the large tone wheel.
I'm using a crank wheel and an Accel distributor with the top removed. Their is a place that makes a billet flat top to replace the distributor cap, but can't remember who.

I looked at the accel dual sync distro a while back, only thing id have to do for that is switch out 455 distro gear for a 350

I was thinking of snagging ford EDIS-8 setup
36-1 universal trigger/reluctor wheel or ford reluctor lathed open
and grand national Cam sensor sincei it'll drop in the 350 timming cover
just was wondering if their were any eaiser ways? or at least other options to skin the cat

Nothingface5384
07-02-2014, 12:51 PM
You don't need a $400.00 Duel sync distributor.
This guy has done a lot with Buick EFI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGSrYLsvxPM

Stock HEI distributor. Lock out mechanical and vacuum advance. remove all but one set of teeth on the star wheel and reluctor.

yes, I think that's one of the guys off V8buick, he mentioned his setup which is this?, or exact copy of this for his 455

Ollie8974
07-02-2014, 12:59 PM
The mod will work on any GM HEI distributor.

The Buick GN sensor will work too.

Link to the post on photo #2.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=51205

Derek@ModernSpeed
07-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Why not make it easy, and use the Holley 60-2 trigger wheel, and their coils? No distributor is necessary. Or you can do the AEM drop in deal for a cam sync, 4x or 58x wheel out on the front of the crank. There are several options to do what you are requesting. It comes down to budget, and how aesthetically pleasing you want it to be.

Nothingface5384
07-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Well I'm going to cancel my sfi dampener through TA as its been on back order and will get an ATI super dampener with chevy front and order holley DIS kit like mentioned above.
Still thinking of using a GN sensor since it'll work with my timing cover though..But they are pricey like 240 350ish..

Derek@ModernSpeed
07-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Well I'm going to cancel my sfi dampener through TA as its been on back order and will get an A TU super dampener with chevy front and order holley DIS kit like mentioned above.
Still thinking of using a GN sensor since it'll work with my timing cover though..But they are pricey like 240 350ish..

You could get Innovators west or ATI to build a harmonic balancer for you with 4x, 36-1, or 60-2 trigger patterns machined into the cover of the balancer.

Nothingface5384
07-16-2014, 03:22 PM
You could get Innovators west or ATI to build a harmonic balancer for you with 4x, 36-1, or 60-2 trigger patterns machined into the cover of the balancer.

ATI said it'll be an extra 400 bucks to do custom trigger outer shell and 60 to 90 days once the drawing is releases out of engineering...
I'll check out innovator

sccacuda
07-17-2014, 06:12 AM
ATI said it'll be an extra 400 bucks to do custom trigger outer shell and 60 to 90 days once the drawing is releases out of engineering...
I'll check out innovator

I went through that with ATI as well. That's why I did the BB chevy front with the Holley BB DIS kit. BTW, Jones Racing has my mandrel on file and can make you one. The mandrel bolts to a BB chevy balancer front and has an indexed groove for the Holley tone wheel. It sandwiches the tone wheel between the balancer and mandrel with a perfect concentric indexed groove in the mandrel.
I like the Jones pulleys because setting pulley alignment is dead on. You can slip on as many or as few pulleys as you want. You can run either a serpentine or HTD belt (similar to a Gilmer).

Nothingface5384
07-17-2014, 10:15 AM
I went through that with ATI as well. That's why I did the BB chevy front with the Holley BB DIS kit. BTW, Jones Racing has my mandrel on file and can make you one. The mandrel bolts to a BB chevy balancer front and has an indexed groove for the Holley tone wheel. It sandwiches the tone wheel between the balancer and mandrel with a perfect concentric indexed groove in the mandrel.
I like the Jones pulleys because setting pulley alignment is dead on. You can slip on as many or as few pulleys as you want. You can run either a serpentine or HTD belt (similar to a Gilmer).

sounds good,
Only thing I'm not getting at the moment..
is if I use holleys or a cherry brand sensor and mount that near damper/trigger wheel, what would I do about the empty distributor hole?
Like if I used a buick turbo GN cam sensor it mounts in timing cover where distro would go.
GN sensor is cool in a way that its bolton, but they're like 200-300 in price

Derek@ModernSpeed
07-17-2014, 12:47 PM
sounds good,
Only thing I'm not getting at the moment..
is if I use holleys or a cherry brand sensor and mount that near damper/trigger wheel, what would I do about the empty distributor hole?
Like if I used a buick turbo GN cam sensor it mounts in timing cover where distro would go.
GN sensor is cool in a way that its bolton, but they're like 200-300 in price
If you don't need anything in the distributor hole, have a plug machined to fill it.

Ollie8974
07-17-2014, 12:50 PM
A plug won't work there needs to be something to drive the oil pump.
Oil pump drive Mark I

Oil pump drive/ cam position sensor Mark II

Oil pump drive/ cam position sensor Mark III

Derek@ModernSpeed
07-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Oil pump drive Mark 1
Ok, so if an oil pump drive is needed, you have a shaft, body, bearings, and a gear. Still not all that costly if you have a machine shop near by.
Picture is for reference only.

Ollie8974
07-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Ok, so if an oil pump drive is needed, you have a shaft, body, bearings, and a gear. Still not all that costly if you have a machine shop near by.
Picture is for reference only.

If you are going that rout you might as well add the cam sensor.

Nothingface5384
07-17-2014, 02:29 PM
So sounds like GN cam sensor is still better route
I kind of wanted to use the hall effect SS cherry sensor with a magnetic flying crazy k wheel

Just was hoping for a cheaper option
Just now cancelled the TA dampener
Will order an ATI one with chevy BBC front tmrw
Hopefully won't be another back order...already waited a month for other not to come in...

Nothingface5384
07-17-2014, 07:27 PM
So sounds like GN cam sensor is still better route
I kind of wanted to use the hall effect SS cherry sensor with a magnetic flying crazy k wheel

Just was hoping for a cheaper option
Just now cancelled the TA dampener
Will order an ATI one with chevy BBC front tmrw
Hopefully won't be another back order...already waited a month for other not to come in...

well dont think the chevy front will work
searched the part numbers through summit
description says internal ...bah
I need external

so perhaps my options are custom one...wait up to 3 months and possible pay around 800...
or
external buick super dampener and I guess custom 62-1 trigger wheel

ontop of that, their site says..
BUICK V8 (265-350) [1]

Theirs no such thing as a 265 buick... prettysure thats a poncho engine which makes me doubt this is even a buick dampener?
buick/rover 215 buick 300 buick 340 and buick 350..
theirs a buick 264 from like the 50s..but not same family of sbb
ATi buick dampener is 7.074 O.D where as the BHJ dynamics I was trying to get is 6.7 O.D

Ollie8974
07-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Forum member "TheSilverBuick" used a 36-1 Ford trigger wheel on his 455 Buick.
http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670814&page=5
Scroll down to post 86

Nothingface5384
08-01-2014, 12:26 PM
well the buick 350 ATI dampener with chevy face + modifed counter bore? buick 2.118 male register to BBC 2.281 female register.
just shipped yesterday!
now i'll have to order a BBC trigger wheel, BBC Crank pulley and GN cam sensor
coil packs

Derek@ModernSpeed
08-02-2014, 07:15 AM
Glad you're making progress.

CFster
08-02-2014, 05:48 PM
With the Holley EFI system you need:

1. Crank trigger AND cam sync for sequential fire.

2. Crank trigger only for batch fire.

Or

3. Cam sync only for batch fire.

Nothingface5384
08-02-2014, 10:44 PM
ok, this is kind of what I was thinking..
have to see if I can simply just get the wheel only...
http://www.msdperformance.com/Products/Crank_Triggers/Crank_Triggers/8620_-_Chevy_Big_Block_Crank_Trigger_Kit.aspx
if not i'll just ditch the bracket and magnetic pickup.
and use a Buick GN cam sensor to go into timing cover/distro hole.
and these coils
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/ign1a-race-coil-p-394.html
and custom firecore wires
I'm sure i'll have to get extra holley harnesses since prior I got correct parts for regular injectors and msd distro/msd box combo

Derek@ModernSpeed
08-03-2014, 07:08 AM
With the Holley EFI system you need:

1. Crank trigger AND cam sync for sequential fire. Yes

2. Crank trigger only for batch fire. Yes

Or

3. Cam sync only for batch fire. No, Cam sync shows position of TDC #1. It does not simulate engine rpm

If running DIS Coil on Plug, a cam sensor is mandatory so that the ecu know's which coil to fire first (#1)

If running DIS Waste Spark, a cam sensor is needed if running a 4x crank sensor wheel. It is not if using a 36-1 or 60-2 wheel.

Derek@ModernSpeed
08-03-2014, 07:08 AM
ok, this is kind of what I was thinking..
have to see if I can simply just get the wheel only...
http://www.msdperformance.com/Products/Crank_Triggers/Crank_Triggers/8620_-_Chevy_Big_Block_Crank_Trigger_Kit.aspx
if not i'll just ditch the bracket and magnetic pickup.
and use a Buick GN cam sensor to go into timing cover/distro hole.
and these coils
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/ign1a-race-coil-p-394.html
and custom firecore wires
I'm sure i'll have to get extra holley harnesses since prior I got correct parts for regular injectors and msd distro/msd box combo
If you need harness's, or even those coils, LMK. I'm an EFI dealer for Holley. Thanks - Derek

CFster
08-03-2014, 09:09 AM
If running DIS Coil on Plug, a cam sensor is mandatory so that the ecu know's which coil to fire first (#1)

If running DIS Waste Spark, a cam sensor is needed if running a 4x crank sensor wheel. It is not if using a 36-1 or 60-2 wheel.

Thanks Derek. I stand corrected.

Say, I have an HP Stealthram system. I want to change to a regular throttle body TPI setup. The only things I need to change are the intake and throttle body right? The harness is the same?

Nothingface5384
08-03-2014, 09:23 AM
I'll keep that in mind, and sure I will

Did that setup sound good, work well together? GN cam sensor and msd magnetic flying wheel?

Derek@ModernSpeed
08-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks Derek. I stand corrected.

Say, I have an HP Stealthram system. I want to change to a regular throttle body TPI setup. The only things I need to change are the intake and throttle body right? The harness is the same?

Yes, that is correct.

bcshredder
02-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Oil pump drive Mark I

Oil pump drive/ cam position sensor Mark II

Oil pump drive/ cam position sensor Mark III

I need one of these. What is it👍