PDA

View Full Version : A First Time View- Hot Rod Power Tour 2014 Recap- Written and Photos by Mike Knauss

Trackside-Brandy
06-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Hot Rod Power Tour is a commitment that usually starts years before you ever take the journey. It consists of a week long trip that stretches across several states traveling through some of the most beautiful countryside roads. There's really nothing else like it. Mike Knauss and his '71 Chevy C-10 embarked on the voyage for their very first time, traveling over 1,000 miles from North Carolina to Wisconsin along with several others. We couldn't help but share his story, hopefully convincing those who have never been on Power Tour to add it to their bucket list. Even a veteran like myself whose been on Power Tour several times fell in love with this story for it's spirit, passion and appreciation for the event.

Here's Mike Knauss' Story:

98424984259842698427984289842998430984319843298433 984349843598436

Mike managed to narrow down thousands of Hot Rod Power Tour pics to a couple hundred to share with us. Here are some memorable moments from his trip:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s385.photobucket.com/user/protouringdotcom/embed/slideshow/Pro-Touring%20Events/Hot%20Rod%20Power%20Tour%202014"></iframe>

We would like to thank Mike Knauss for taking the time and sharing his story and photos with us.

syborg tt
06-30-2014, 06:34 PM
Mike I can't tell how much fun we had following you through the curves on County Road K. It was and will be a lifelong memory that I will never forget especially when you patted your wife on the shoulder after we made it to the end of the road.

We all wanted to follow you to see what you had done to the truck to make it handle like a track vehicle. But we had a serious problem I had drank way to much ice tea and I had pee so bad I couldn't push the clutch pedal down without feeling like I was going to pee on myself. The good new Nate (Green Challenger) and Kirby yes Kirby (the other Challenger) were also having the same issues. But my Mike (my coDriver) & I were bummed that would never find your truck in the sea of vehicles at the final stop.

But as fate would have it you must have stopped and somehow we were parked a few cars away from you. Which was insane !! I assumed the young lady was your wife and I of course we walked over to her and I started talking with her about the "Shoulder Tap" oh my god I don't think I have laughed so hard in years. Soon after the laughing stop your wife started telling us stories about her driving mishaps and the fact that she rolled two cars and it scares her when you drive like you did.

Fast forward to us walking over to your bad ass truck and wow it sweet. I crawled under it and looked everywhere and I could see what a cool truck it was. And you the owner was such a cool guy and spent at least 1/2 hour. The only thing I wish I did was invite you to dinner with us so we could learn more about your shop.

Once again it was a pleasure meeting you and your wife and I look forward to next years power tour and hooking up with you and your wife.

Marty & the yellow bee

mike1965
06-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks for sharing this story, it was a blast following Mike's C10 through the back roads to Wisconsin, (I was the co-pilot of the yellow camaro),
Mike's truck handled really well, we had a blast!
Hope to see you next year!

Mike

65-347
07-01-2014, 03:08 AM
nice story

GEARBOXGARAGE
07-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Marty,

Hey it's great to hear from you! Yes, we had a lot of fun that day. I'm hoping to get some more time in and fine tune the truck a little more, but have been pleased with it so far. Should be getting the replacement wheel ordered this week and then I'll feel more comfortable pushing it harder. I'd like to make it up to Gingerman Raceway this summer if my schedule allows, but it's looking like a pretty busy season so far. With the Tour being the most seat time I've had in the truck, it was hard to tell just how well it was doing. I kept watching you guys in my rearview on County Road K to try to gauge if I could push it harder, but also like I mentioned, with the front being the way it was, I didn't want to blow it out that late in the game.

We'll have to see what next summer brings, but it would be great to hit at least part of Power Tour 2015. Maybe we'll see you there.

GEARBOXGARAGE
07-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Here's a few pics from last year during the build process. I believe this was around August.

syborg tt
07-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Good Guys Columbus is only a week away - you should go

GEARBOXGARAGE
07-15-2014, 10:39 AM
I would've really liked to have gone, but my schedule just didn't have time for it this year. Possibly next year, it's a great show. I've been to it several times before and there's always some cool vehicles to see.

syborg tt
07-15-2014, 10:50 AM
I would've really liked to have gone, but my schedule just didn't have time for it this year. Possibly next year, it's a great show. I've been to it several times before and there's always some cool vehicles to see.

not to worry i have several hundred pics that should make you feel like you were there.

ps I would love love to have the picture of my car in your mirror that you took.

GEARBOXGARAGE
07-31-2014, 08:31 AM
not to worry i have several hundred pics that should make you feel like you were there.

ps I would love love to have the picture of my car in your mirror that you took.

Marty,

Send me a private message with your contact info and I'll send you a copy of the pic. I'd like to see some of your pics from Goodguys.

Later,

Mike

67-f85
01-19-2015, 07:27 PM
i know its an old topic but i just read your name and said i know him. the short time i worked with you we didn't get to talk much and i had know idea about your mother im glad the c10 is a good reminder of your past. it was a great read. and im glad to know someone personally on here. hope to talk soon.

Jason F.

GEARBOXGARAGE
02-19-2015, 05:45 AM
Added these pics for bpmack16, hope this gives you some more visual aide on wheel size and backspacing.

GEARBOXGARAGE
02-19-2015, 05:46 AM
How's the Olds coming along Jason?