PDA

View Full Version : Asphalt vs Concrete

Gratefuldiver
06-30-2014, 10:43 AM
Last week I really felt like I was making some progress with my auto x driving. The car was handling great and felt like I finally had a set up that worked. That was on the road course at Gateway during the Super Chevy show. Yesterday we had our points event at Gateway on the drag strip parking lot. I ran the same set up and it felt like I took a couple of steps back. I couldn't hardly get through a hard sweeper without the ass end wanting to kick out. I adjusted the Vari's a couple clicks up in the back but it didn't help. I was also having a problem with the left rear tire rubbing on the inside to the point it actually took a few small chucks out of the edge of the tire when I was real hard in a corner. Im sure that has a little to do with having a C-Clip rear and tires on the edge of being to big, but its the first time Ive actually taken off rubber. Im still really new to Auto X so is asphalt just harder to drive on then concrete? I watched these other cars (sport compact's) zip right through almost 10 sec faster then me in my 72 GTO. Its almost a little discouraging lol. This is my best run yesterday, http://youtu.be/HcvwUlrMNh0 This is from last weekend http://youtu.be/0IZZ9bdHHZw

Sorry I don't have a mount that lets me recorded the rear wheel so those videos may be of no help to figure out my issue. I know a lot of the issue is me but even at that there are novice out there running 5-6 sec plus better then me in a 4th Gen Camaro

SSLance
06-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Couple things I see... First I'm pretty certain the road course is asphalt as well so the actual surface probably isn't that different between the two spots. Visually there is a HUGE difference though.

Where we run typically it is asphalt runways between large concrete patches and the runways help to visualize where you need to go next. The first time I went to Heartland Park Topeka to autocross on the big open parking lot (like you did yesterday) I struggled mightily... It is just harder to see where you are going to go next without something to guide you along the way. When you were on the road course you had that help whereas you did not in the parking lot.

Second thing is, the course was just setup differently...the one on the road course was fast and smoothly flowing. The one in the parking lot was more tight and technical.

Did you record both of those videos with your phone? If so, you are a brave man hanging it outside the car like that!! I've had my phone come out of it's holder inside the car before...

Next time you might try mounting it inside looking out the windshield, that may help with the wind noise as well.

Are your lug studs long enough to run a 1/8" spacer and still get good engagement with the lug nuts? That may be just enough to help the tires clear. I run one on my rear rims.

Don't worry about your times and what everyone else is running...you'll get there eventually. Experience will help you a lot. I know there are some good veteran drivers in the STL Region, have you ever rode along with one of them or had them ride with you?

Gratefuldiver
06-30-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm using a cheap suction cup mount for my camera with a cord tied off inside the car in case it falls off LOL

I just installed new longer studs and though that spacers might be a fix. Assuming I have the room on the outside

eric1967
06-30-2014, 02:30 PM
That asphalt has a sealer on it & that does not help. The road coarse has a ton of grip. Don't be afraid to crank some rebound in those shocks. You may try to take some air pressure out of the rear.

gscherer78ta
07-01-2014, 05:06 AM
Try staying tighter to the inside cones- through the sweepers and through the slalom. Take a few laps and get so close that you hit the cones just so you can know how close you can get. I think I am right up against the cones all the time and people watching and video says that I am still 1' away... Just something I'm working on and hope it can help.

BMR Sales
07-01-2014, 07:01 AM
Definitely try to hug the Cones more. A Key to A/Xing or Racing is finding the Limit of a Car. At Driving Schools, a Wet or Dry SkidPad is good for that. At an A/X, it depends on how many runs you get whether you can throw one Run away to try to find the Limit.

Make sure that you walk the Course once or twice in the morning, then concentrate on your Line on the Drive-thru before the Timed Runs start.

Gratefuldiver
07-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the advise. I think hearing the rear tire rubbing on hard turns made me a little hesitant to push the car to the edge. I was able to massage the inner wheel well in a bit with a hammer where it was rubbing and bought a set of .080 spacers. I think that should fix the rubbing issue. Now we wait for the next event

SSLance
07-03-2014, 07:09 PM
I had a rear axle bearing failing on me at Event 4 and it really distracted me and kept me from really pushing the car, I hear ya on that. Hopefully the spacers and massaging fix you up. When is your next event there?

I'll be at Gateway on the 18-19th, if you get a chance swing up and check us out.

Gratefuldiver
07-04-2014, 07:35 AM
I would very much like to be at that event but have plans to head up to Chicago that weekend. So it looks like Ill be a party crasher the Fun Ford weekend the 26th. Local SCCA is doing an Auto X event on the road course again. After that it looks like out local points event could be in limbo for a bit because one of our sites (Family Arena) is getting repaved.