PDA

View Full Version : fan wiring

RobM
09-22-2005, 07:09 PM
I’m trying to wire up an electric fan to my painless wiring harness. I have a wire labeled fan switch, and a wire labeled "to fan relay". the one that’s labeled fan switch has 12 volts running to when the key is tuned on. the other wire has no power and doesn’t even seem to be on a closed circuit. how should i go about wiring this fan up? I’m thinking i want it to switch on manually with a toggle switch. Or would it be beneficial to have it on some sort of temperature switch? would it be bad to have the fan running all the time?

LowBuckX
09-22-2005, 09:18 PM
What fan are you running? reason I ask is the Taurus 2 speed fans require 3 relays 1 for low 1 for high and 1 to switch low off when high kicks in...

RobM
09-22-2005, 11:40 PM
its only one single fan that i was planning on running at one speed, cant i do that? i just want it going full blast all the time. do i need to get a relay?...might be more to this then i thought...

LowBuckX
09-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Here is a relay that was recommended by another member. 75 Amp (http://onlinestores.imacination.com/sacramentoelectronics-store/search.jsp?category=Relays&subcategory=Automotive+70+Amp)

Relays are nothing to hook up. You dont want to toast anything so Id fuse and relay the fan ....

Also Id definatly use a temp switch, $19 at parts america gets you a nice radiator prob adjustable temp switch.

I am doing this also this weekend. Im running a 2 speed taurus fan and it is a bit more complicated to set up correctly.

RobM
09-23-2005, 12:06 AM
so how exactly should i wire this thing?

LowBuckX
09-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Ok here is how you should wire it.

You can substitute the bosch relay for the one I suggested. The numbering will be the same. Dont worry about the diode and substitute fusible link with an inline fuse.. https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/09/schematic-1.gif

LowBuckX
09-23-2005, 12:27 AM
double post

LowBuckX
09-23-2005, 12:27 AM
PS use your Hot fan wire to the IGN source on fan switch

lechner80
09-06-2006, 05:48 AM
What fan are you running? reason I ask is the Taurus 2 speed fans require 3 relays 1 for low 1 for high and 1 to switch low off when high kicks in...

Do you have a diagram for wiring the 2 speed fan. Thanks John

ProBell
09-07-2006, 02:46 AM
I like to have a fan override switch so I can run the fan when ever needed. I go from a constant power source to a toggal switch and tie on to the positive side of the relay. This allows you to run the fans whan the car is off in betwen rounds at the track. If the switch is off the fans will be controled by the temp sensor.