PDA

View Full Version : Full Circle

Removed user as requested
06-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Hi guys,

As much as I hate muscle cars, no other cars look right except muscle cars.

So I'm back in the market for a mustang since I sold mine earlier this year.

This time however I am approaching it from a totally different angle. Rather than trying to make it "handle" like an exotic car and therefor never being happy, I have decided to treat it as a muscle car. Horsepower and traction to put power down.

Having said this, I'm deciding between a 69 mustang fastback as previously owned, or, a 67 mustang fastback.

Which one is lighter, by how much, which one has a better design for putting power to the ground with, wheelbase n so forth, which one has more available parts, modifications etc available to be a better performing car overall?

I am looking at about 700HP.

Bonehead
06-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Was this some sort of troll post? You hate muscle cars, but you just sold one and want another? You want to know weights of two cars, which is easy to google in just a few seconds worth of research? You don't what to do pro-touring, but ask on a pro-touring site? LOL?

06-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Was this some sort of troll post? You hate muscle cars, but you just sold one and want another? You want to know weights of two cars, which is easy to google in just a few seconds worth of research? You don't what to do pro-touring, but ask on a pro-touring site? LOL?

Let me clarify the post. I'm not trying to make a muscle car handle like an exotic car as I tried to. Pro-touring car is fine as that's not an exotic handling car. My main concern is, having power and car standing still because it was not built to put power to the ground. So now instead of the focus being "let's make a Ferrari handling muscle car" the idea is let's make the muscle car handle decent but focus on straight line performance, meaning, traction rather than it standing still frying tires because suspension etc was all wrong.

My other option is a 70 chevelle.

Power already stated @ 700-750

I ask here because people have experience with power, acceleration, traction etc and can recommend which of the 3 (67, 69 mustang fastback) or 70 chevelle AT 700-750 horsepower will get the most grip, performance etc. I like the look of the 3 cars, so which has the ability to perform the best. That's why I asked about weight, parts available etc as that will determine at the given hp which has the ability to be lightest and so forth.

Anvil is there for light weight for 69s. What's chevelle got?

Does the wheelbase between the 2 some how favor one over the other? I ask that because 700hp in chevelle or mustang, which can use it and which can't use it due to dimensions etc, thus showing 1 will perform better than other just due to nature of design...

this is what I'm trying to get at.

Red67Mustang
06-17-2014, 03:59 AM
Based on your posts, I'd say that without a significant effort to educate yourself about chassis dynamics and proper suspension geometry, you won't be happy with any of the vehicles listed - regardless of your intended handling focus. None of those vehicles offer great handling, or great drag racing launches, in factory configuration.

No one on this forum would be building the car for you, so you need to have the needed knowledge. Specific questions are great and will be addressed by the helpful members here. However, when you admit to already failing to make one classic car handle, then ask a blanket question like you have about making another one launch well - it suggests the problem isn't with the mentioned chassis; but rather with the skills being applied to them.

Schwartz Performance
06-17-2014, 04:12 AM
Pro touring is generally about making cars handle well. Not many of us are all about straight line performance, because the suspension is a bit different to get a good launch. Spring rates and shock settings are pretty much backwards from pro touring to drag racing.

67 Mustangs are probably lighter than 69's. But yes Anvil does make some parts for the 69. A 70 Chevelle is probably a bit heavy for what you're doing.. But I've seen many turned into decent drag cars too.

To get a good launch with 700hp you either need big slicks, or drag radials with a purpose built drag suspension.

There are probably some forum sponsors that can help you out on the suspension side that do more drag racing, but as I said earlier, pro touring isn't necessarily about 1.4 second 60-foots at the strip.

From a manufacturer and builder perspective, our goal is to make muscle cars handle like sports cars and exotics. We could probably help you out more on this forum with respect to making your future muscle car handle like a Ferrari, rather than launch like a missile.

For what it's worth, our 65 Tempest beat an R8 on an autocross track a couple years ago.

One other thing to consider is driver skill. Drag racing or auto crossing, the driver skill will have a lot to do with your results.

-Dale

Ron.in.SoCal
06-18-2014, 07:47 PM

Our man George is, if nothing else, consistent and hilarious at the same time. This is the guy that...

- Wanted to buy a Ferrari to go racing (never saw it)
- Had a killer Charger (never saw it)
- Wanted to get a Ford GT and beat it on the track (never saw it)
- Bought a Mustang and posted numerous threads about brake upgrades (saw the car once I think, never saw the brake upgrade he was asking about)

(if you want a good laugh, just search through his forum posts)

Stick around George. This place just wouldn't be the same with out you :cheers:

06-18-2014, 11:06 PM
Our man George is, if nothing else, consistent and hilarious at the same time. This is the guy that...

- Wanted to buy a Ferrari to go racing (never saw it)
- Had a killer Charger (never saw it)
- Wanted to get a Ford GT and beat it on the track (never saw it)
- Bought a Mustang and posted numerous threads about brake upgrades (saw the car once I think, never saw the brake upgrade he was asking about)

(if you want a good laugh, just search through his forum posts)

Stick around George. This place just wouldn't be the same with out you :cheers:

Well im indecisive!

I sold the mustang before I did the brakes. I sold the 68 charger to get a mustang. I got photos of the cars still if you want to the QQ1 blue white top I had. The ferraris, gt40s, Gts etc was being bent on handling but they dont look like a beast. And since im mainly on street, rather the look than performance on a page.

I really am considering on buying a 70 chevelle now. Ive owned the best mopar, 68 charger, ive owned the best ford 69 mach 1, time to own the best chev, 70 chevelle.

Hey at least you know i wont be talking about exotics anymore. At least my options are simple now.

68 charger
69 mustang fastback
70 chevelle.

Since i love muscle cars only, there the 3 i like out of all of them. Owned 2, 1 to go and the chevelle may end up being the last, for, what will i sell it for? To buy a mustang or charger again........... (time will tell)

Matt@BOS
06-19-2014, 09:54 AM
Hey at least you know i wont be talking about exotics anymore. At least my options are simple now.

That is, until the next time, haha.

Bonehead
06-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Hi guys,

As much as I hate muscle cars, no other cars look right except muscle cars.

Since i love muscle cars only, there the 3 i like out of all of them.

lol..... Just like my ex wife.

06-19-2014, 04:58 PM
That is, until the next time, haha.

We will see! At least i add entertainment as said so....:ripped:

shmoov69
06-19-2014, 07:31 PM
You can make any of those launch like a pro stock if you build it correctly, so take your pick! Now, it'll handle like a dump truck, but you will be putting the power down!!