PDA

View Full Version : Fine tuning steering details

Mr Nick
06-16-2014, 06:28 AM
I did about 650 miles of the Power Tour, and noticed a few things about the car I'd like to address. Previous to the tour, the car had limited miles around town, more focused on reliability than fine tuning and performance.

The power steering is over assisted and feels "rubbery."

Over assisted requires no explanation, it's just too easy to turn the wheel and there is no feel/feedback what-so-ever.

The rubbery feeling is this... I turn the wheel and there is a very slight delay to my steering input, then the car responds almost too much and feels like it's over compensating for the delay. Almost a rubber band effect, slight delay at first, then it snaps into place. Hope this explanation makes sense!

My steering/suspension combo is this:

Front:

SC&C Stage II+ (factory spindles)
Global West lowering springs (not sure exact specs)
Edelbrock IAS shocks
Helwig 1 1/8" front bar
Borgeson steering shaft with no rubber rag joint
12.7:1 ratio box by http://www.powersteering.com/

camber: -1/2
caster: +5 to +5.5
toe in: 1/16" total

Rear:

UMI adjustable upper/lower arms
Edelbrock IAS shocks
11" 175 in/lbs Hyperco springs
Helwig 1" rear bar

I feel like I should have got the Lee box instead of the Power Steering Services box, in fact I started a thread about this years ago. But the budget won (at the time) and I went with the less expensive option.

Also, the shop that did my alignment is the same place the f$cked up my 5-speed install, so who knows how accurate the alignment is.

It also rides a little rough, I may upgrade the shocks over winter as well.

Do you think a Lee steering box will solve my over-assist and lack of feel issue?

I'm thinking get the Lee box, have it aligned, and re-evaluate how it steers. Thoughts?

Red67Mustang
06-17-2014, 04:05 AM
First, check for worn parts and then have it aligned before you do anything else.

What car is it?

RobNoLimit
06-18-2014, 07:01 AM
1. check the idler arm and all tie rod ends and the center link for wear. - Idler arm is a notorious failure.
2. have the alignment checked, also, isn't this a 'front steer' car? If so, toe it "out" 1/16th, not in.
save you money for the box until there are done. Or, use the money to buy your own caster/camber gauge and a set of toe plates. The 'rubbery snap' is a sign of worn steering components.