PDA

View Full Version : AFX spindles vs tall ball joints/stock spindles. Lets discuss.

Nicks67GTO
06-14-2014, 12:24 PM
So in the future {Next year} one of my plans was to maybe upgrade to AFX spindles/steering arms. I hear everyone talk about how awesome they are. My question is this.....

Other than the potential weight savings, cool factor, upgraded ZR1 hubs and easy corvette bolt on brakes.... what is the difference in real world performance between a stock spindle/steering arm with Savitske's tall ball joints and the AFX spindle and steering arm package?

Are they worth the money? They aren't cheap. Lets assume this is a 5,000 mile per year GTO that gets auto X'd 2-3 times a summer.

This would be on a 67' GTO with the SC&C stage II package featuring...

-SPC upper and lower front control arms
-Howe tall screw in ball joints
-SPC springs
-Ridetech HQ shocks

Discuss...

Ben@SpeedTech
06-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Other than the potential weight savings, cool factor, upgraded ZR1 hubs and easy corvette bolt on brakes.... what is the difference in real world performance between a stock spindle/steering arm with Savitske's tall ball joints and the AFX spindle and steering arm package?

The spindles also have a built in 1" drop and a key feature is the relocated steering arm which changes the steering geometry and near eliminates bumpsteer. If you have the budget, and are serious about maximizing your suspension, the AFX tall spindle can't be beat. May I suggest calling our tech department at 435.628.4300 to get all the facts about them. There's no pressure to make a decision yet, we're just there to help you make an educated decision about what suspension system best fits you and the budget you're working with.

SD455
06-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Hey Nick,

Sounds like your car is set up pretty well already. I know nothing about the AFX spindle, so I can't comment directly on them but I would like to add my 2 cents about your question"are they worth the money?"

What I realized with my car is that I could spend a lot of time and dollars trying to make the car do something it was not really intended to do, and end up with some mediocre results UNLESS you are prepared to make some sacrifices in other areas. I think the reality is that a 67 GTO is a big car to run through the cones, so I would focus on making it fun to drive, and not necessarily the fastest car out there.

The quickest cars tend to be the lightest ones, and thats another area where the GTO needs some serious help. I found that good alignment (working with what you have) the best tires(R comp) and lots of seat time will yield the best results. Of course you may pick up a tenth by adding the AFX spindles, but if your only running 5 events a years, you likely wouldn't have enough seat time to get much of an advantage from them.

So, whether they are worth it or not depends on how serious you are and what you really want to achieve.

Cheers!