PDA

View Full Version : 17" Rims with C5 brakes on AFX spindle

MrAbody
06-11-2014, 09:32 AM
I have gone through the archives and gotten some examples, but I was wondering if anyone running standard C5 calipers and Rotor on an AFX style spindle with 17" wheels? I am looking to put this setup on my 66 lemans but can't figure out what wheels I want to use. If you could post your wheel, backspacing and car model I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

andrewb70
06-11-2014, 02:27 PM
I have gone through the archives and gotten some examples, but I was wondering if anyone running standard C5 calipers and Rotor on an AFX style spindle with 17" wheels? I am looking to put this setup on my 66 lemans but can't figure out what wheels I want to use. If you could post your wheel, backspacing and car model I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

This is a time tested combo. You shouldn't have any issues. Look in the Project Builds forum. There are numerous early a-body builds being documented.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/62030-1967-GTO-project-thread

Andrew

130fe
06-11-2014, 03:13 PM
I was running 17" Budnik Famosas on my camaro with that spindle/brake combo. No clearance issues or problems at all. I am still using the wheels, just changed to ride tech tru turn front suspension

Z06vet
06-11-2014, 04:13 PM
I ran 17x8 bonspeeds with stock C5 brakes when I built the car. I had to shave the fins a bit on the top side of the caliper as they hit the raised area in the centerline of the hoop. I think most wheels should be ok it's be best to check with the mfr of the wheel you choose to be sure.

MrQuick
06-12-2014, 09:48 PM
The only ones that I have had issues with were the American Racing Torque Thrust II. The spokes contact the caliper. Had to run a 1/4" spacer. Also make sure you ask where the valve stem will be. Some of the inside style will contact the caliper.

most wheel companies will ask you and know what center you would need for a C5 caliper.

rickpaw
06-13-2014, 03:48 AM
The only ones that I have had issues with were the American Racing Torque Thrust II. The spokes contact the caliper. Had to run a 1/4" spacer. Also make sure you ask where the valve stem will be. Some of the inside style will contact the caliper.

most wheel companies will ask you and know what center you would need for a C5 caliper.

^ this. I had to use flush mounted stems on my new wheels. And they are quite a PITA.

MrAbody
06-13-2014, 06:35 PM
How about 18 inch rims....does anyone know if an 18 inch torque thrust II work with c5 calipers?

andrewb70
06-13-2014, 06:38 PM
How about 18 inch rims....does anyone know if an 18 inch torque thrust II work with c5 calipers?

It isn't the diameter that is the issue, it is the spoke clearance against the calipers.

Andrew

Z06vet
06-13-2014, 07:07 PM
In my case with the 17" bonspeeds it was the diameter of the inner hoop. I had no issue with the spokes.