PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about painting the Camaro is single stage

MuscleRodz
09-21-2005, 09:24 PM
I know I will be driving the crap out of this thing when done. So I have been considering painting it in single stage for ease of touch ups. Being a bright red for the most part, doesn't show depth like some colors do and I don't want the paint to look thick either when done. I have finally decided on a color and I will be getting samples in both single stage and bc/cc tommorrow. What is the consensus of the painters among us? Frank? Jake?

Mike

astroracer
09-22-2005, 02:00 AM
Not Frank or Jake but I have to vote for bc/cc. :bananna2:
I shot my truck with Dupont Nason bc/cc three years ago and haven't had to touch up a single stone chip on the hood or fenders (as in, there are none). The front bumper was done in Dupont Centari single stage enamel with a hardener when I built it in 2000 and I am ALWAYS touching up pock marks... It will be repainted next year with bc/cc just because it is so much tougher then the single stage. If you go with the bc/cc I don't think stone chips will be as much of an issue as they would be with the single stage. Just mt experience.
Mark

68protouring454
09-22-2005, 03:37 AM
no way, do not paint it single stage, a good quality bc/cc is alot more durable than any single stage. BUT if you use a cheaper line bc/cc the clears tend to be real soft and do scratch easier then a high quality clear, BUT it is still way better than single stage. touch ups are no issue either, they sell some nice touch up brushes and mot times just a dab of basecoat hides them away from 90% of people, you canmix a tiny tiny bit of clear and dab the chip after the base flash dry's. forget the single stage, get some paint coverage cards at paint store and spray each one out and you will see the difference, the cc willnot look thick.
goodluck

Travis B
09-22-2005, 04:57 AM
I will have to agree with jake and say no way on the single stage! bc/cc all the way! Touch ups won't be bad...the cc will be much more durable than a single stage!

Are you going to two tone it?

Happyfunballs
09-22-2005, 05:26 AM
I agree. You can single stage it if you want, just make sure you put a clear over it. Go with the BC/CC.

MuscleRodz
09-22-2005, 07:30 AM
I will have to agree with jake and say no way on the single stage! bc/cc all the way! Touch ups won't be bad...the cc will be much more durable than a single stage!

Are you going to two tone it?
The two tone is on the fence right now. Not that I am building it to sell, but more often than not, 2 tones seem to kill alot of the value in musclecars after watching the market this past year.

I will be using Dupont or HOK. Not fond of the7500 Dupont clear. It tends to die back. I actually think Nason clear is better in that regard. I don't mix systems, so sooner or later I will have to make up my mind on which paint. My favorite paint store doesn't carry PPG anymore so it is not an option.

Mike

Travis B
09-22-2005, 07:44 AM
The two tone is on the fence right now. Not that I am building it to sell, but more often than not, 2 tones seem to kill alot of the value in musclecars after watching the market this past year.

I will be using Dupont or HOK. Not fond of the7500 Dupont clear. It tends to die back. I actually think Nason clear is better in that regard. I don't mix systems, so sooner or later I will have to make up my mind on which paint. My favorite paint store doesn't carry PPG anymore so it is not an option.

Mike

I say two tone all the way....I don't think it will hurt the value at all! Think of how many solid colored camaros are out there....I don't even have to start listing them! I dig the red two tone I think you should do it! We spray the dupont line (standox) I know jake sprays it to! It probably the most durable clear I have ever dealt with!

MuscleRodz
09-22-2005, 07:54 AM
I forgot about Dupont owning Standox. I will check into that today.

Mike

CAMAROBOY69
09-22-2005, 07:55 AM
Dont go single stage. I dont even know why they make the stuff any more. Once you go BC/CC you will never want acrylic enamel or any single stage. I would only use it again if I was painting a go cart or something I didnt care much about. Never on a NICE car.

Travis B
09-22-2005, 08:00 AM
We have used single stage before........as a base coat! It allows you to sand every imperfection in the base out then clear it once or twice :fingersx:

MuscleRodz
09-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Dont go single stage. I dont even know why they make the stuff any more. Once you go BC/CC you will never want acrylic enamel or any single stage. I would only use it again if I was painting a go cart or something I didnt care much about. Never on a NICE car.
I have shot lots of both over the years. Airplanes are all single stage urethane unless you are doing something wild. I shot lots of Imron that looks as nice as bc/cc but it don't buff worth a crap unless it has cured for several months. Very durable but a PIA to touch up. All the cars i have done have been bc/cc and one HOK Kandy job.

Mike

68protouring454
09-22-2005, 08:51 AM
dupont owns them but it stil come from germany, and does not die back unless you have no airflow, and it it does, just sand and buff and its all good, and i imagine you will be flat sanding and buffing the car.
i think a 2 tone red would be sharp, its the 2 oppsoite color 2 tones you should stay away from for resale even though it may look good some won't think so.
"do it" do it"
let us know, i really like standox's 2kms voc clear, 2-3 coats and you can sand for weeks and not burn thru
goodluck
jake

ProdigyCustoms
09-23-2005, 01:36 AM
We have used single stage before........as a base coat! It allows you to sand every imperfection in the base out then clear it once or twice :fingersx:

We use it also for a final primer and under coat for transparent colors. For example, the 55 I am doing is going 2005 Crysler 300 Vanilla and HOK True Blue Pearl. While True blue is not a kandy, it is very transparent requireing 5 coats to cover a color card. Spraying 3 to 4 coats over the Vanilla made a very nice look, so that is what we are doing.

So what I do, after spoting in any break throughs in the primer, is spray the entire car in Single stage urethane instead of base. Let the urethane get rock hard, sand it, chase imperfections, then color in any break throughs with the vanilla base coat. Then lightly set the vanilla with base piss coat or 2 of base and then set the blue pearl, and clear.
The single stage is the final primer coat. It cost me me the same for the urethane single stage vs sealer or primer, and I get a chance to see the car shinny. It shows me what my hand missed. Also, the single stage being a hard catalized surface, if there is any loose tape fuzzys from two tones, or hand prints, etc, they wipe off. Were a base is very delicate, and often times the tape cannot wait to jump off on stripes and two tone, or the tape prints. With the single stage, those are not issues.

Now to single stage or base clear? On reds, blacks, yellows, oranges, whites, solid colors, no metalics, there is very little diffenece in the final look, if any, single stage or clear coat. I hardly ever do base clear on black or red. I have done some pretty incredible black acrylic enamel jobs back in the old Centari days. Big time builders use single stage quite often. Charlie is apparently the god of painters right now winning Riddlers and be head hunted by the god of Hot Rods Foose. Did you notice when Charlie was sanding the red 55 on American Hot Rod to buff it, the old hag in the office was bitching about the red water all over the driveway?

Is Michael using base clear on the black Prodigy? Yes! It also was shot in single stage 2 months ago. If it did not have stripes, I would have probably gone single stage.

Rick Dorion
09-23-2005, 04:05 AM
Stielow did one of his camaros in single stage because the car would be driven alot and touchups would be simpler according to the magazine article. Was it Thrasher?

68protouring454
09-23-2005, 04:26 AM
don't believe everything you read, touch up are no harder or easier with base clear, if ever any damage and it is a custom red it will be way easier to blend with bc/cc then single stage
jake

ProdigyCustoms
09-23-2005, 06:13 AM
if ever any damage and it is a custom red it will be way easier to nlend with bc/cc then single stage
jake

Agreed

MuscleRodz
09-23-2005, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I have some more playing around to do.

Mike

bnickel
09-23-2005, 01:48 PM
i agree about the reds and blacks, another benefit of using the single stage on reds and black is that you can buff them out much easier later on if they start to fade or oxidize. hit the paint with a good cleaner/polish and then glaze and finally a really good yellow wax and the paint will shine up as good as the day it was shot. if it gets really bad (like the paint on my jeep) you can color sand it as well. for any metallic paint a base clear is best

indyjps
09-24-2005, 09:50 PM
id use single stage---- if it was a race car.

MuscleRodz
09-24-2005, 10:05 PM
id use single stage---- if it was a race car.
:wrc:

Mike