PDA

View Full Version : "Sloper"

Porterbuilt
09-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Question for all you TIG guys... What is the "sloper" setting used for? I have a Thermal Dynamics Thermal Arc 300GTSW Machine. I have been doing fine without it for the last three years, but every now and again I wonder about it.

Matt@RFR
09-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Do you have a sequencer? If so, the "sloper" would be used to control the amount of time the machine ramps from initial amperage to welding amperage, and then the amount of time to go from welding amperage to final amperage.

If you don't have a sequencer, than I have no idea. I was shocked at how little information is on the 'net for your machine! Especially with it's little brother (T/A 185) being so popular these days.

If you had bought a Miller, you could download the owner's manual directly from their website. :poke:

Speaking of chocolate cake, do you not have the manual?

Porterbuilt
09-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Matt-
I had to special order the manual... paid $38 and waited for a month to get it. I was extremely disappointed with the lack of information provided in the manual, it just showed me where the sloper adjustment was... how helpful!
I bought the machine from one of my customers... it was brand new in the box, and came with a Miller Coolmate, torch, and bottle.

Matt@RFR
09-21-2005, 08:58 PM
So no sequencer I take it. Ok, what, if anything, is this "sloper" associated with, either in the manual or on the front panel?

Porterbuilt
09-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Matt-
It's on the front panel, right next to the pulser function. It is a toggle switch. Quoting from the manual "When in the off position the sloper is inactive. Selecting the on position activates the Sloper. Selecting the Spot position activates the spot welding timer. The slope sequence and spot modes are activated by a remote on/off switch connected to the 8-pin receptacle. See the section on slope sequence."
So I go to the section on slope sequence... "1. Set sloper switch to slope position; 2.Rotate amperage control to desired welding current level; 3.Rotate SPOT TIME/DOWN SLOPE control to desired UP/DOWN slope time."
It states the obvious of how to engage the sloper, but I am curious about what it is. Is it some "magic setting" that once I know its function I will never want to weld without?

Nate

Matt@RFR
09-22-2005, 09:22 AM
Sounds like it works in conjunction with the spot timer. Slope up, spot time, slope down. I guess. That's a pretty funky function...one I've never used, and if I'm understanding it correctly, one I wouldn't use. If it's what I stated above, the slope up time would let thin material warp before the spot weld was initiated. Spot timers usually are just an on/off thing.

"magic setting"
No such thing. Some guys use the pulser on like 2pps to help form the consistent rippled beads, but they're just covering up poor technique. That is a good technique, however, for beginners to learn the proper rhythum.

Porterbuilt
09-22-2005, 11:24 AM
I was being facetious in regards to the "magic setting". I do appreciate your input. Now about the "pulser setting". If used properly; correct amperage, proper angle, and appropriate amount of filler why wouldn't it be ideal? I have experimented with this setting quite a bit and have been pleased with the results.

Matt@RFR
09-22-2005, 12:21 PM
It's a fixed setting that results in fixed travel speed if you're using it to time filler deposition. To me, it's extremely hindering to use the pulser in that regard. You'll get the same look if your filler deposition is consistent in both timing and amount deposited, but with much more control.

I use my pulser in only two scenarios: 1) Thin and/or heat sensitive material to keep overall heat input down to a minimum, usually 150-200pps, and 2) autogenous welds on stainless. The picture shows the result of the latter on the tube-to-tube cap weld. Just set the pulser, set the RPM of the positioner, clamp torch, hit both pedals and wait for it to finish. :)