PDA

View Full Version : Code Red forum

Damn True
09-21-2005, 03:04 PM
A jeep forum I was on years ago (since dissolved because the owner lost interest) had what was called the "CODE RED" forum.

The idea was that if someone was working on their vehicle and had a problem they would post it there: "I can't figure out how to arrange the bearings and seals on this flux capacitor", "Page 3 is missing from this installation guide. What do I do next?", "I'm missing the bolt that holds on the gazinka valve. What size is it supposed to be?" You know, the kinda thing that you can't get an answer on from the manufacturer till Monday sorta deal.

The idea was that sometimes emergency requests get lost in forums, particularly if there is a hot thread at the time. The "CODE RED" forum was something that everyone checked when they logged in or out to make sure nobody was in a jam and if they were they could help if able.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-21-2005, 03:31 PM
This is a great idea, and I've often run into this problem myself. My only hope is that the forum won't get bombarded with tech questions from the guy doing his brake swap in 3 weeks, that wants an answer NOW.

I think this is something that we will try out. I'll try to set up a new "CODE RED" type forum this weekend, and we'll see how it goes. Hopefully it will not be abused, and we can keep it, as it would definitely be beneficial to members.

Thanks for the suggestion, and keep them coming guys.

Damn True
09-21-2005, 03:48 PM
They had a simple rule.

"This forum is for those seeking answers to a maintainence or installation problem that is happening NOW. If your hands aren't dirty as you are making this post, you need to put it in the appropriate subject forum. General technical questions will be deleted to keep peoples REAL problems near the top of the list."

derekf
09-21-2005, 04:33 PM
That's a heck of an idea, and that simple rule would likely make it work (vaguely) smoothly.

StRacerDuke
09-22-2005, 08:53 AM
I second the idea!

68BNUT
09-22-2005, 09:52 AM
That sounds like a great idea ecspecially since ill be starting my tko swap in a few weeks!! Of course I will have to wash my hands before typing on the wifes laptop.

David Pozzi
09-22-2005, 06:02 PM
The down side is, those posts if they contain answers will not be in the usual forum sections, they will be all lumped together and not show up in a section archive search.

How about a special "CODE RED" icon or such that would be used in the forum sections we allready have?

derekf
09-22-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm still a fan of the Code Red section. After 1 week with no responses (adjust that time frame as you like) the mod(s) of that section would move the thread to the correct forum without redirects.

Damn True
09-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Good idea, once the problem is solved the person who posted the "Code Red" should PM a mod to have it moved to the appropriate forum for referance.

TonyL
09-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Fantastic idea.

Ralph LoGrasso
10-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Ask and ye shall receive: The Emergency Room (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)

There is our new Code Red forum, dubbed "The Emergency Room". Please only use this forum for its intended use.