PDA

View Full Version : power steering pumps

groho
06-04-2014, 02:16 PM
I've had to make an unexpected change in my power steering plans for my 66 mustang coupe. I was going to run with a TCP power R&P, but my "co-pilot" labrador had an emergency and it took a big chunk out of my mustang funds. Here goes, Borgeson only provides a 16:1 box. I believe Mike Maier runs an ABS box thats roughly 14:1. Pedro at ABS states its 3.25 turns lock-to-lock which is just short of my target. The question comes down to the pump, and being able to run 2-3 GPM, rather than the typical 4+GPM we usually see. This is to achieve better feel, and eliminate the overassist. I'd go with KRC or DSE but they're out of my price range. I see the Saginaw ham can and the Saginaw TC type II but not sure which one will allow me to easily adjust the flow to optimize the steering to my preference. Any suggestions? Also, can anyone help me understand why the KRC cast iron pump is not recommended beyond 5500RPM?

Red67Mustang
06-05-2014, 04:56 AM
I'm upgrading the steering on my '67 Mustang... Here's what I'm doing:

CPP 13.6:1 integral PS box.
KRC aluminum pump

I was able to speak with Ken Roper, of Ken Roper Corp (KRC), who was very nice and helpful! Bottom line is for our applications a cast iron pump with the tank mounted to it would be just fine. The rpm limitation seems to come from cavitation on the suction side of the pump. With the integral tank many of the issues are resolved, so occasional trips past the rpm limit were described as not detrimental.

Anyway, the 5500 rpm limit is for pump speed, so just select a larger ps pulley then your crank pulley in order to under drive the pump.

I went overkill (as I tend to do) and got the aluminum pump.

Carl @ Chassisworks
06-05-2014, 03:54 PM
I hope your Co-Pilot is doing okay. I love my shepherd-mix and would gladly put off parts purchases for her.

In my opinion, it's worth waiting until you have the budget for the KRC pump. It's an excellent piece.