PDA

View Full Version : Redoing my suspension. Auto X to Good Handling Daily Driver

camaro1185
06-03-2014, 11:04 AM
A few years ago I set up my suspension thinking I was going to be doing a ton of Auto x and Track Days. I have done a few but not as many as I had thought and the car primarily now is a cruiser/daily on nice days, but sees a ton of miles during the season. The current suspension beats me up when driven on a daily basis, not to mention going over bumps it feels like it has no shocks, it is EXTREMELY STIFF and HARSH over bumps. I would like to re-do my suspension keeping in mind the car is 95% used as a cruiser/daily commuter.

1988 Iroc 350
T56
Stock 16" wheels
Falken 912 tires
34/24 sway bars
Camber caster plates
Tokico Illumina shocks
Eibach Pro Kit
Del-a-lum front bushings
SFC
UMI roto joint REAR LCA
Rear LCA relocation brackets

What should I get rid of/replace for a "good handling" car that wont beat me up.

Rifleman_Racing
06-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Dump the bad shocks, get a set of Konis, and some ~450# front and ~125# rear springs.

alocker
06-04-2014, 03:14 AM
A shock that you can soften the compression on and lowering tire pressures will make a huge difference.

camaro1185
06-04-2014, 03:24 AM
Thats seems to be the general consensus. Dump the shocks for some good ones, and replace the a arm bushings with rubber or poly.

Also, how much do those camber caster plates effect the harshness of the suspension seeing as they have bearings and not rubber bushings like factory. I like the adjustability, but wonder if they are too harsh for a primary street car.

UMI Tech
06-04-2014, 05:08 AM
I'd think the car could be made pretty comfortable with spring and shock selection. C/C plates should have minimal impact.

camaro1185
06-04-2014, 05:19 AM
Thats what I wanted to hear. What would be your recommendation?

Do I really need Konis for a car that is primarily a DD?

I do want the option of going to the auto x but just for the fun of it. I doubt I will ever get extremely competitive where I will all out build the car for that one reason. I want an all around car but with the emphasis on street cruiser/daily that handles well.

BMR Sales
06-04-2014, 07:53 AM
Konis are Adjustable & if you still want to A/X, you will be OK

MonzaRacer
06-08-2014, 07:07 PM
http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspension-packages/?subcats=Y&features_hash=V266#pagination_contents

Try checking this stuff out.
It sure will help ride AND handling

See if they can work up some adjustable shock/struts also

Nicks67GTO
06-09-2014, 12:19 AM
Ive got the SC&C stage II setup with Ridetech HQ's instead of varishocks and my car handles great and rides pretty darn smooth on horrible Iowa roads. You can have both.

Bryce
06-16-2014, 07:41 AM
Shocks make a huge difference. I am slowly switching all of my cars (5 now) to ridetech. I just designed a coilover kit for my DD dakota using ridetech HQs.