PDA

View Full Version : C5 front suspension g-body

redss86
09-21-2005, 09:38 AM
I was just wandering, if a complete custom frame was going to be built, could the C5 frt susp. be set up for extreme handling? I know about SC&C's G5 setup, but I was just thinking of doing something different. I am already building the rear 2/3 of the frame out of rectangular tubing. So if I could figure up demensions for the C5 and build the entire frame then I will. The reason I am thinking about doing this is because I think I could build the rest of the frame and setup the suspension for cheaper than the $2600 for the G5.

Nothing against your setup Marcus, I think it is an excellant design. I am just considering my options.

Thanks,
Joe

redss86
09-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Come on guys, somebody has to some opinions/ ideas. Anything helps please.

MrQuick
09-22-2005, 08:49 PM
I guess some of us have to let it settle before we reply. Here's a quick thought.
If you were to build a suspension from scratch theres a whole lot of options other than using a factory based equiptment. Sure it maybe a good idea as far as ease of replacement and can be purchased everywhere.
The thing with factory components is that they where designed for a certain weight,balance and placement and might end up not being compatible with the your vehicle due to its weight and placement. They may have also been designed under certain restrictions that your body style might not require such as body shape and passenger compartment space.
To properly set up a C5 type suspension the engine set back might not be possible or impractical on your body style.
You might want to seach around for G body set ups to improve handeling, from what I hear its not too far off.
Im not familliar with your background but you might want to do some research and find a suspension program to play around with.
Heres a great place to start...www.ssapubl.com

redss86
09-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to sound impatient.:guilty: Just kind of thought that w/ all the views I might have got some sort of reply.

I have done some looking/ searching. I was just thinking along the lines of something one of a kind/ extreme.

If it makes any difference as far as it's compatibility w/ the rear suspension goes, I am going w/ the truck arm setup. Also, for those that don't know, the car is an 86 Monte Carlo SS.

Thanks, and sorry,
Joe

white79bu
09-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Marcus's setup is the only one I know of. Have you looked in to Global West and there new ower control arms? They have them for springs or coil overs. There not on there website yet but I talked to them today and they told me the LCA's are around $600 and the UCA's around $500. It just depends on what bushings you want to run. If you find any thing else let us know.

MrQuick
09-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to sound impatient
No need to apologize, sorry if i came off like a Yody, if I did I didn't mean it.
I can't believe I forgot about Marcus, he has some fun stuff coming. It might seem like alot but theres alot on engineering that went into it.
If you insist on working with C5 stuff, beware of used stuff on the internet and ebay. They might be warranty parts that made it back to circulation.

Samckitt
09-24-2005, 05:23 AM
I have wanted to do that for years. I want to build a whole new frame to use front & rear Vette suspension parts. I saw Art Morrison at the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville this summer. Their frames look awesome but they are expensive. They told me they could build the frame but a whole new floor pan would have to be made. If I remember right, I think they told me it would be around $6000 JUST for the frame.

BigBlockOlds
09-24-2005, 08:43 AM
I have wanted to do that for years. I want to build a whole new frame to use front & rear Vette suspension parts. I saw Art Morrison at the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville this summer. Their frames look awesome but they are expensive. They told me they could build the frame but a whole new floor pan would have to be made. If I remember right, I think they told me it would be around $6000 JUST for the frame.

I was quoted $10,000 :(

Samckitt
09-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Well maybe I spoke to a guy who didn't know the exact price.
Scot
-

CraigMorrison
09-29-2005, 05:04 AM

Hi Scot- I think I talked to you about this. We have done a few G-body frames with C5 front, but the customers have to deal with the engine setback as described above. The $6000 price is for the bare chassis for our 53-62 Vette because of all of the brackets and tabs (its a complete bolt on chassis). Packages can go for around 10K because of 3rd member, axles, brakes, chassis options etc.

We do also carry & stock all the C5 front components. If you have a plan of building a better mousetrap and just need the C5 stuff, we can help you out too.

Hope this helps.

CraigMorrison
09-29-2005, 05:23 AM
This was the chassis I was talking about for the $6k bare price. Sorry about the confusion.

Samckitt
09-29-2005, 05:29 AM
I have said it before & I'll say it again: Man those frames are beautiful.

Craig, any chance you may need someone who loves to work on cars & has extensive Unigraphics CAD experience to design parts on? LOL

Thanks for the info. I'm sure when/if I decide to do a different frame I will be contacting you guys.

Scot

CraigMorrison
09-29-2005, 05:46 AM
Thanks!

PS- check your mail!

Marcus SC&C
10-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Agreed,that`s one nice chassis. Off hand I`d say about a gazillion times more rigid than the stock GM noodle chassis. :) I like the clever mounting for the rear upper arms to lower the RC too.

We researched doing the straight C5 swap but got away from it due to the expense,engine setback issue and the fact that the C5 geometry is idealized for a car with 51/49 weight distribution,IRS and a very low CG. The camber curves are very mild for a performance car,which is cool on a C5 because it has virtually no body roll at all. On a G body with a much higher CG and a LOT more front weight bias we felt it needed a lot more camber gain to keep the tires planted. We also wanted to make it a bolt on package too so anyone could put it on in their garage at home. After doing a bunch of them we can install a G-5,align it,bleed the brakes and have it back on the road in about 3 hours. :) Marcus