PDA

View Full Version : Info on this 69 carbon fiber hood?

Madspeed
05-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Anyone heard of this company? seems like a nice hood for the price. 2k plus is ridicules imo. for 2 k I bet i can get the stuff to repop all my own parts =)
http://www.advancarbon.com/#/item/1967-1969_chevy_camaro_carbon_fiber__2-zq-_ss_hood/

Death trap
05-31-2014, 10:19 AM
Price does seem very competitive, but I know nothing of the company or there quality. The Idea of making your own hood for 2k sounds good but in reality if you included the cost of your time + materials you would most definitely exceed 2k and if you don't have much mold making or experience with carbon fiber, chances are the quality of the hood will not be as nice as the ones you could buy for the same price. some people aren''t as worried about fit and finish as others too, so take that in mind in others reviews as well. just my $.02. Would be nice tho to see a company make a decent fitting hood that was less then half the going price, rite lol

Madspeed
05-31-2014, 11:21 AM
Honetsy I think it takes the same basic work to make the fiberglass vs carbon from what ive seen. I have done molding in my youth on rc boats. I would NOT be asking just a hood I would repop everything I could unbolt incl doors. It is labor intensive but if in production the costs should come down to reasonable prices not 2 friggin grand. I bet after this post they sell more hoods and the 2k company's loose more moohla. I will be going to cali soon and Ill take a tour then and maybee drive home w new ****

Rod
05-31-2014, 06:27 PM
2 grand??? I looked on there site and the 799 dollars? sound like a deal

http://www.advancarbon.com/#/item/1967-1969_chevy_camaro_carbon_fiber__2-zq-_ss_hood/

evostilo
05-31-2014, 10:51 PM
Advan carbon actually used my car to make the molds for all there 67-69 camaro parts the hood has a great finish on the face side and the under side is fiberglass great hood for the price

crustysack
06-04-2014, 04:34 AM
Seems to me for the price that hood (as stated above) is mostly fiberglass, probably has one layer of twill on the outer skin,and the example shown is not that great, look closely and you will see fiber distortion creating that deep wave effect- as far as making a mold off your own hood and building one for less than 2k- good luck, to get the true benefits of cf one needs to build a precision mold and laminate with epoxy under vacuum bag- I have built a few parts for my car and they are VERY labor intensive to get a quality LIGHT part.I would say I have over 15k in parts and labor(mostly labor) building my car parts myself. I have over 20 yrs experience building custom racing sailboats(Americas cup, volvo,mini maxis,etc) and they are not cheap for a reason- quality tooling is needed, and highly skilled labor to get parts to come out perfect. I could not build a one off hood for my car for less than 2k- that was something I wanted to drive around with anyway. I have no affiliation with ANY carbon car parts maker.9681096811968129681396814

Death trap
06-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Nice looking parts crustysack! The header and tail panel are nice touches!

crustysack
06-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks, most people dont even notice them- going for that classic understated approach, those that do really start asking questions and take a much longer look at the car

evostilo
06-12-2014, 03:25 PM
If anyone is interested in taking a look at the ADVAN Carbon products I have all of them in my garage but the front end of my car is currently off as im doing some upgrades to my engine, Im in Socal Santa Ana, CA to be exact