PDA

View Full Version : front springs for zz502

mcompound
09-20-2005, 06:49 PM
I have a 67 vert that is extremely low. I have dearched rear monos and the original BB front springs with 1 coil cut ( I cut the coil about 11 years ago.) The car was fine with the small block, it sat great, nice and low (was a little soft, but manageable). I recently put a zz502, aluminum radiator, and a tko 600 in the car, and it is so low I can't drive it. In fact, I can barely get it out of my garage, it drags on the driveway.

I am looking at the hotchkis 2" drop front spring, but was wondering if you guys think I should use the small block 2" drop springs, or the big block 2" drop springs. The car has no AC, and the battery is in the trunk, aluminum heads, radiator, intake, water pump. I want it low, but I want to be able to not tear it up. The guy at hotchkis said the small block springs would probably work.

Any experience, opinions? O ya, the A-arms/spindles are stock, and the front wheels are 235/40/R17

mcompound
09-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Any help from anybody? Is there a better alternative than the hotchkis springs?

6NOVA9
09-26-2005, 02:05 AM
Hey, just a thought. If you put in a BB, I would think the BB springs to be best, especially if hotchkis said so. You could always cut a coil of the BB spring, right?

How do you like the 502? Where did you bu it from, good warranty? I have a 69 Nova, with a 454 from another car, it is tired. I am looking into a rebuild or a crate. Crate seems the way to go?!

dhardison
09-26-2005, 05:14 AM
I have a '70 Nova with a 454 and recently installed the BB Hotchkis springs. Prior to those I had worn out SB springs that allowed the front to sit at a decent height and provided a decent (yet somewhat soft) ride (top photo in link below).

When I first installed the Hotchkis coils the front end sat 1.5" HIGHER than the old coils (bottom photo). Needless to say that wasn't going to fly so I cut a full coil out (yes, I allowed the coils to settle for a few months 1st). After that the stance was excellent but the tires rubbed the upper fender well. Point is.... If you cut the Hotchkis coils dont' go crazy like me, only cut 1/2 coil to start.

Oh , btw the Hotchkis coils (and leafs for that matter) make the car handle like it's on rails but they ride HORRIBLE. If I had to do it over again I'd try the Hotchkis SB coils.

http://www.danhardison.com/discs/before-after.jpg

HTH,
Dan

yody
09-26-2005, 11:00 AM
the only differnece between the hotckis bbc and sbc spring is the height of the spring, nothing else. Also the hothckis springs do not make the ride horrible I have ran them for 2 years and find them to actually be a little soft. You might have somehting els wrong, or have bad shocks. They also are not progressive rate spring so cutting them is not a problem, i too cut my springs about 3/4 of a coil to get it down after losing a bunch of weight off the front

Joe_Rocket
09-26-2005, 11:18 AM
If you get new springs, I'd run them for a few months before cutting. My last pair of drop front springs I installed as they came (no cutting) and they settled more than I desired after just 2 months.

chicane67
09-26-2005, 11:31 AM
I'll definately second that Joe !!

Drive it and measure the ride height once a week. When it stops settling, do your trim cuts at that point. Also, dont cut more than a quarter coil at a time. You can always remove, but you can never put back.

dhardison
09-27-2005, 03:25 AM
I have brand new shocks all around (Eddy IAS). With stock coils the ride was very soft but handling was horrible. With the Hotchkis it's the exact opposite, at least on my car. However I'll accept the harsh ride for the improved handling any day.

Dan

79T/Aman
09-27-2005, 03:47 AM
the rear springs will affect your ride quality more than the front so don't go too stiff for your leaf springs

dhardison
09-27-2005, 03:52 AM
the rear springs will affect your ride quality more than the front so don't go too stiff for your leaf springs

I 100% agree and I should've been more specific about that in my original post. The coils I can live with certainly, but the leafs may have to go. Plus if you ever have the need to put a little weight in your trunk (like packing for the PowerTour), the springs sag quickly under the weight (especially if you have a back seat passenger). I realize the leafs aren't made to bear mucho pounds of weight, it's just an fyi.

Dan

mcompound
09-27-2005, 05:45 PM
So has anybody ever used the small block springs with a BB. The hotchkis website actually says to use the small block springs if the BB has aluminum heads. This car has aluminum heads, radiator, water pump, and the battery has been moved to the trunk. So I think I will use the small block springs.

O ya, I love the 502 - pricey, but there is no way you will be able to build a motor with the perfectly matched combination of parts for the same amount of money. The key is everything was designed to work together.

mike67cam
10-03-2005, 04:18 PM
So has anybody ever used the small block springs with a BB. The hotchkis website actually says to use the small block springs if the BB has aluminum heads. This car has aluminum heads, radiator, water pump, and the battery has been moved to the trunk. So I think I will use the small block springs.

I tried small block springs on my 67 with an all aluminum big block and I though the car was way too low. I ended up with a coil over package because I switch lower control arms. If you run the Hotchkis springs I would recommend getting the BB springs and trim then as needed.