PDA

View Full Version : DSE heavy duty shackle kit install - Argh!

Marty G Cars
09-20-2005, 04:01 PM
How, how, how on earth are you supposed to get these friggin rear poly bushings in the frame? I'm working on the floor w/jack stands, I've applied the lube, cleaned the opening and hammered to no avail with no results. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I thought about getting a threaded rod and wrench it all together, but then I wouldn't be able to remove the rod. Is there not some sort of clamp or press that would help with this install?

Any help would be appreciated!

69HuggrrrPT
09-20-2005, 04:34 PM
I ran into the same problem with the del a lum bushings. Took a while using threaded rod, nuts, washers, peice of heavy pipe for when the bushing came out the other side.
I feel your pain brotha!

Woody
09-20-2005, 04:39 PM
If I remember right, I used a giant pair of channel lock pliers and squeezed the bushing into the frame.

MrQuick
09-20-2005, 06:18 PM
I used a threaded 1/2" rod and 2 plates I made. One was threaded and the other had a 5/8" hole. After the first 1/2" it went in like butter....you might have to drop the tank, mine was out. I think it would work if you fed it from the 1/4 panel side.

Marty G Cars
09-20-2005, 06:48 PM
My tank is already out. I have to go to the bolt shop tomorrow and I'll pick up a threaded rod and try that. Still wish there was a clamp or press I could use.

zbugger
09-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Heh... Funny stuff. I pressed mine in by hand. They didn't just slide right in though. I had them well lubed and wiggled them a lot. I also used the old shackles and bolts as a clamp to get them the rest of the way in.

MrQuick
09-20-2005, 09:32 PM
your the lube king i hear? lol

rockdogz
09-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Yea, that brings back memories... not fun.
My tank was out too, and I used a big C-clamp to help press them in. Also scraped up the bottom of the trunk some.. :banghead:
Good thing is it can't be seen.