PDA

View Full Version : Vortec 6000 w/ a TH400 will it work?

Andrew McBride
09-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Well I am going to buy a 6000 vortec engine and I have a fresh new TH400 transmission in my shop. Will this work? I imagine I will need some sort of harness if so, but I am unsure how the engine would bolt up.

Maybe I should just go with the 4L80e or always go with the 6 speed.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-20-2005, 02:05 PM
There are a few ways to peform the swap, I believe. Lots of the fast LSX drag cars swap to TH400s or TH350s. Check on ls1tech.com for tons of reading on the subject.

For a PT car, though, I would look real hard at that 4L80E and twist machine paddle shifter.

strangler
09-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Need to have the computer reflashed so thats its not looking for info from the trans, and Im not sure if a th400 t-converter will bolt to a ls flexplate...?

Andrew McBride
09-21-2005, 11:49 AM
What would a guy do to get the computer re-flashed? Will I have to take it to a dealer? I have found out that it will bolt up, but one of the bolts along the lower part of the trans will not bolt up. There is some company that makes a bracket, but I don't know what it cost to buy it?

Steve Chryssos
09-21-2005, 12:12 PM
You can go here:
Carputing.com dealer page (http://carputing.tripod.com/logos.htm)
and find your nearest LS1 Edit dealer. The page is annoying since it does not list dealers by state. Just have them switch the transmission type parameter to manual transmission. The goal is for the ECU to ignore the automatic transmission sensors. If your ECU is for a manual trans application then you're fine as is.
My paddle shifter customers must do the same thing since they must run aftermarket trans controllers with separate harnesses.