PDA

View Full Version : Oil from SBC Mechanical Fuel Pump Question

gammapunk
05-20-2014, 06:14 AM
I am running a ZZ430 (fast burn 385 with LT4 hot cam) SBC crate engine in a 84 body Monte Carlo SS. Had it on a road course couple weeks back and coming out of a left hand turn, I notice smoke coming from the rear of the car. This was my first event so I was not going that fast (guessing 45-50 mph). Pull in pits and open the hood. Engine was clean, but my fuel pump was covered in oil. Also had oil on the inside of my right front wheel and on my frame rail. Oil appears to have squirted (with some pressure) out of the fuel pump. I cleaned everything up and it has not done this again. I am afraid if I autocross or do another road course it will do the same thing. Someone mentioned too much crank case pressure as the culprit. I checked my PCV valve and it appears to be ok. I am running a K&N filter on the passenger side valve cover. I searched forums on here and didn't see anyone have the same issue. Any suggestions as to what would have caused this to happend?

rchaskin
05-20-2014, 07:21 AM
check this first...
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/89613-Small-Block-Chevy-Oil-Leak-above-fuel-pump

David Pozzi
05-23-2014, 04:57 PM

The oil seal in the pump can leak. It only happens on freeway ramps turning right or in similar situations. I've had good luck with Carter mechanical pumps. You should first check that the above mentioned bolt is installed with sealer.

BuzzKillian
05-23-2014, 06:18 PM

The oil seal in the pump can leak. It only happens on freeway ramps turning right or in similar situations. I've had good luck with Carter mechanical pumps. You should first check that the above mentioned bolt is installed with sealer.
And make sure it is short enough not to hit the pump rod.