PDA

View Full Version : LS Fuel tank options

firebirdzig
05-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Can someone break down the options for fuel tanks and fuel lines for an LS swap in a 68 Firebird. I would like to keep the OEM tank but not sure if the corvette fuel pump is the only option for that? Also where would the fuel filter go if I got an EFI tank? If someone could break down the options and how they work that would be great! Thanks!

ADiCarlo
05-18-2014, 06:23 PM
If you keep the oem fuel tank you'll need to modify it to accept a return line. To avoid this the best option is to buy a tank already plumbed for this (EFI tank).

Tanks that maintain the oem position and look but are EFI are Tanks Inc and Aeromotive - while Aeromotive does have some foam to help avoid fuel starvation there is no real baffling in the tank to keep the fuel where it needs to be during high G's / cornering.

Next up is a Vaporworx / Rick's Tank that has a return line, custom shape if your minitubbed, and baffling - better for tracking.

All the above use internal tank pumps like factory - Vaporworx/Rick's are custom set ups so if you want external you can contact them but typically internal.

Last are fuel cells (Fuel Safe , ATL) which run internal or external pumps but are custom shapes and require modification to your trunk to mount.

EFI systems go fuel pump - to the fuel regulator/fuel filter - to the fuel rail. The fuel line and return are plumbed to the regulator (corvette regulator is commonly used but aftermarket support is available) and a single line feeds to the fuel rail.

I think from here you can do some research on the different tanks and regulators and see what system works best for you and your needs :woot:

CarlC
05-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Next up is a Vaporworx / Rick's Tank that has a return line, custom shape if your minitubbed, and baffling - better for tracking.

All the above use internal tank pumps like factory - Vaporworx/Rick's are custom set ups so if you want external you can contact them but typically internal.

Just a clarification. All VaporWorx tank options are single line to the fuel rail. No external pressure regulator or return line needed.

ADiCarlo
05-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Just a clarification. All VaporWorx tank options are single line to the fuel rail. No external pressure regulator or return line needed.

Hi Carl,

But running an external is an option? I ask because I've been thinking about going turbo and that would require a regulator that could reference the boost pressure correct?

reedld
05-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Depending on the 1 gen tank dimensions, you could drop in a 4th gen Fbody LS1 fuel bucket using a mount kit from vetteworks. It's quiet and works great.

4th gen fuel bucket has 3 connections on top, fuel out, return, and vent. It also has a built in fuel pressure regulator. You could run an additional fuel filter after the fuel leaves the bucket (like I did). I did recess my bucket so I did not have to cut into the trunk. Used buckets are available on ebay...if you have a decent gas tank, you could be done with everything for about $200

dhutton
05-19-2014, 08:41 AM
Here's another option:

http://www.jegs.com/p/Aeromotive/Aeromotive-Phantom-Stealth-Fuel-System/2433963/10002/-1

CarlC
05-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Hi Carl,

But running an external is an option? I ask because I've been thinking about going turbo and that would require a regulator that could reference the boost pressure correct?

We can do boost referenced as well in single or twin fuel module arrangements. Twin ZL1 fuel module setups are becoming more common due to the ease of being able to make big horsepower. At 65psi twin ZL1 setups can provide 736 lb/hr of fuel. At 0.6BSFC that's enough fuel for 1225hp.

Running an external mechanical regulator/return can be done but there are some drawbacks. First, the return must be set up to dump the fuel back into the module reservoir. Hence, an internal flexihose must be used to route the fuel accordingly. Second, the total costs of an externally adjustable regulator, fittings, hoses, etc. on a full fuel-rail type return system, etc. the VaporWorx PWM controller becomes an attractive option. Less heating of the fuel, less noise, longer pump life, fewer hoses, and more available real estate under the hood make it a viable option.

The ZL1 fuel module is also E85 rated from GM.