PDA

View Full Version : Which aftermarket early mustang supplier?

70vertstang
05-15-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm looking to pickup some mirrors, side scoops, rear lip and other body parts for my 1970 mustang convertible and was wondering if anyone could tell me who I need to go with? So many suppliers and prices vary... I'm looking for quality not cheap prices. Thx!

CampbellshotrodsAZ
05-15-2014, 12:53 PM
I've used 3 companies for the restoration of my 66.

CJ Pony Parts- I like that there was not S&H charges, so the listed price was what I paid, and prices were good. Only problem I had was arguing with a sales guy about selling me a comparable steering wheel after a sale, when they were out of stock. Wouldn't honor sale price, told me "the prices never go that low" when steering wheel B was within $5 of steering wheel A on sale, and normally. Haven't made a purchase since unfortunately.
National Parts Depot- I've ordered a lot from here and they are well stocked, with great customer service. Charges a shipping fee depending on order $$$ though. 3 warehouses, so if I needed a part within a couple days, standard shipping from California had me covered. All other places were on the East Coast only.
Mustangs Unlimited- Ordered some parts from them. Good service, no complaints.

All places have their different level repop parts. You just have to do your research. I think in General NPD might offer higher quality alternatives than the others, and they specify level for some parts.

70vertstang
05-15-2014, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions CampbellshotrodsAZ !

I_make_oil
05-15-2014, 11:01 PM
I bought my body panels from CJ Pony Parts. My experience was ehhh OK. I tried to order my front suspension from them but no one I spoke to there had a clue about what I wanted! I called the vendor and was not happy with his view of them either so I ended up ordering from Stangaholics. I spoke with Ryan there (559) 339-0577 and he not only answered my questions we went on for a while talking about my project what they have done and other options for my project. I also bought my steering column from them. They are real Mustang/Car guy's and their prices are good. I have read through and dog eared my Mustangs Unlimited catalog and have planned on ordering from them many times but usually find a better price elsewhere. I do plan on ordering my hood and front valance from then along with a few other things. As far as small stuff I don't think you can beat the prices on Ebay for thing like bolt kits, and stuff like that. So really there is no single best place in my opinion. Good luck with your project.

Steve@CJPP
05-16-2014, 07:34 AM
I've used 3 companies for the restoration of my 66.

CJ Pony Parts- I like that there was not S&H charges, so the listed price was what I paid, and prices were good. Only problem I had was arguing with a sales guy about selling me a comparable steering wheel after a sale, when they were out of stock. Wouldn't honor sale price, told me "the prices never go that low" when steering wheel B was within $5 of steering wheel A on sale, and normally. Haven't made a purchase since unfortunately.
National Parts Depot- I've ordered a lot from here and they are well stocked, with great customer service. Charges a shipping fee depending on order $$$ though. 3 warehouses, so if I needed a part within a couple days, standard shipping from California had me covered. All other places were on the East Coast only.
Mustangs Unlimited- Ordered some parts from them. Good service, no complaints.

All places have their different level repop parts. You just have to do your research. I think in General NPD might offer higher quality alternatives than the others, and they specify level for some parts.How long ago was this and do you know what steering wheel it was?

I bought my body panels from CJ Pony Parts. My experience was ehhh OK. I tried to order my front suspension from them but no one I spoke to there had a clue about what I wanted! I called the vendor and was not happy with his view of them either so I ended up ordering from Stangaholics. I spoke with Ryan there (559) 339-0577 and he not only answered my questions we went on for a while talking about my project what they have done and other options for my project. I also bought my steering column from them. They are real Mustang/Car guy's and their prices are good. I have read through and dog eared my Mustangs Unlimited catalog and have planned on ordering from them many times but usually find a better price elsewhere. I do plan on ordering my hood and front valance from then along with a few other things. As far as small stuff I don't think you can beat the prices on Ebay for thing like bolt kits, and stuff like that. So really there is no single best place in my opinion. Good luck with your project.

What front suspension were you trying to order? Is there anything I can help with?

CampbellshotrodsAZ
05-16-2014, 08:39 AM
How long ago was this and do you know what steering wheel it was?

This was sometime in March/April. It was the 15" leather Corso Feroce 9 bolt steering wheel kit. I think the horn button might have been the issue actually. I ordered the 9 bolt under the caveat that it was on 1 week backorder, no problem, I got my large order in during the sale at least. I get a call a week later saying the horn button was a month behind. I ask if we can substitute the 6 bolt instead and no problem. Then he gives me a price well over what I had ordered the 9 hole for, saying "that's what the sale price was". No it wasn't. These 2 wheels I see were ~$7 apart during the sale, as I see they are currently on the website. He said that I couldn't be right since he "had the price sheet there". Well the wheel I had ordered was cheaper than the price on his sheet, so that should have been a clue. Then after I cancelled the order I looked on the website and saw the current website price was much cheaper than the "sale" price he quoted me. All in all, I just did not appreciate being told I was wrong, even though I know for a fact that I saw the sale price on the alternative as being within a few dollars as my intended original, and it didn't make sense how suddenly the $7 difference jumped to over $50 for a nearly identical kit. Oh well, that's in the past. Car is (mostly) done.

Sorry, I don't want to sound like I'm whining here. But I guess it's good to let this be known. I know there are a lot of people with less patience than I, so it should be good to know what some of the sales reps are doing. I probably should have requested a manager or someone higher up.

Steve@CJPP
05-16-2014, 12:26 PM
This was sometime in March/April. It was the 15" leather Corso Feroce 9 bolt steering wheel kit. I think the horn button might have been the issue actually. I ordered the 9 bolt under the caveat that it was on 1 week backorder, no problem, I got my large order in during the sale at least. I get a call a week later saying the horn button was a month behind. I ask if we can substitute the 6 bolt instead and no problem. Then he gives me a price well over what I had ordered the 9 hole for, saying "that's what the sale price was". No it wasn't. These 2 wheels I see were ~$7 apart during the sale, as I see they are currently on the website. He said that I couldn't be right since he "had the price sheet there". Well the wheel I had ordered was cheaper than the price on his sheet, so that should have been a clue. Then after I cancelled the order I looked on the website and saw the current website price was much cheaper than the "sale" price he quoted me. All in all, I just did not appreciate being told I was wrong, even though I know for a fact that I saw the sale price on the alternative as being within a few dollars as my intended original, and it didn't make sense how suddenly the $7 difference jumped to over $50 for a nearly identical kit. Oh well, that's in the past. Car is (mostly) done.

Sorry, I don't want to sound like I'm whining here. But I guess it's good to let this be known. I know there are a lot of people with less patience than I, so it should be good to know what some of the sales reps are doing. I probably should have requested a manager or someone higher up.

Sorry to hear that this went the way it did. If you need anything else for the car or have any questions or issues please contact me on here and I will do what I can to get you taken care of.

CampbellshotrodsAZ
05-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Sorry to hear that this went the way it did. If you need anything else for the car or have any questions or issues please contact me on here and I will do what I can to get you taken care of.

Thank you for getting in contact with me Steve. Just so everyone can see, Steve has taken the initiative to get in touch with me to get to the bottom of this and make sure I was satisfied. This was a stand up move, and I will go ahead with my next order with them in the next week or so.

I_make_oil
05-17-2014, 02:14 AM
I was attempting to order the Rod and Custom Mustang II front end with shockwaves the same as you are installing on your 50/30 car. You do not have this set up on your web site so I called and asked about getting that same set up. No one there could assist and they recommended I call Rod and Custom direct. I did and the person I talked to there nearly talked me out of shockwaves all together. I ended up buying a TCI Mustang II kit with power rack, Shockwave and Wilwood brakes from Stangaholics. I also ordered an Ididit steering colum with the cruise swith installed and all of the linkages to connect to the rack and about to order the Ididit cruise system and maybe the Ididit push button ignition.

I_make_oil
05-17-2014, 02:33 AM
Just so it dosen't seem like I'm beating up on CJPP I have purchased quite a bit from them in the past with good results. I purchased both front fenders, both rear Qtr's, both doors, both sides of my floor and the rear tail light panel from them. I will likely order from them again perhaps when I buy my hood and front valance.

Steve@CJPP
05-19-2014, 06:20 AM
I was attempting to order the Rod and Custom Mustang II front end with shockwaves the same as you are installing on your 50/30 car. You do not have this set up on your web site so I called and asked about getting that same set up. No one there could assist and they recommended I call Rod and Custom direct. I did and the person I talked to there nearly talked me out of shockwaves all together. I ended up buying a TCI Mustang II kit with power rack, Shockwave and Wilwood brakes from Stangaholics. I also ordered an Ididit steering colum with the cruise swith installed and all of the linkages to connect to the rack and about to order the Ididit cruise system and maybe the Ididit push button ignition.Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately that set up was created by our guys doing the build so the sales guys did not have much knowledge about it. It has since been added as a part we sell. If you ever have questions or issues with anything please let me know, if I don't know the answer I will try to get or get you to the correct person that does.

70vertstang
05-22-2014, 06:58 PM
I should have labeled this 'kiss and makeup' thread! Haha. Thanks for all the responses.