PDA

View Full Version : Later model steering columns for 82-87 g-bodys????

jlcustomz
05-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Couldn't find what I was looking for from google searches & didn't want to spend much hands on time figuring out if I didn't need to. For a few reasons ,didn't want to rebuild mine if I could swap one, don't use the column shifter anymore either.

Anyone know of other slightly later model gm steering columns that could swap into the g-body's without too many mods? I know f-body's could likely work with a lower mount swap. Late 80's to early 90's b- body's may be pretty close also.
Any solid info would be appreciated.

DeltaT
05-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Maybe check over at Gbodyforum.com as well - more of a focused audience.

Jim

jlcustomz
05-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Maybe check over at Gbodyforum.com as well - more of a focused audience.

Jim
Already did, actually a pretty dead audience there. Also posted on el camino central.All I got was let me know what you find out.
I figure this kind of stuff has to be common knowledge to somebody. Company's like ididit &flaming river don't include any g-body years in their stuff either. Might try checking with someone with access to Hollander interchange manuals, but something like that wouldn't include items that could be easily modified to work.

SS PUNISHER
05-15-2014, 11:42 PM
Are you just looking to ditch the column shifter? If that's the only reason for the swap I'd suggest finding a column from a floor shift model g body like a SS or something.

jlcustomz
05-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Actually, I also have the loose 4 screw deal going on, recently noticed slack in the output shaft, Key switch worn & signal light switch getting stiff.

SURE I could rebuild it & fill in the shifter mount or something there, but with the combination of items, Particularly slack on the output end ,a low priced salvage yard swap may be easier.

I'm inquiring about later model gm's since there aren't many g-bodies locally like there used to be & most any junkyard example is pretty much worn. I'm also inquiring about this on a few forums for other g-body friends.

Also SS PUNISHER, did you get a pm from me asking about your 8.8 rear swap?? Also on my possible to do list & info on the subject is a little inconsistent & confusing. Figured I'd build or find an 8.8 with 4.10 gears & sell my 7.5 with 3.73 posi to pay for some of it.