PDA

View Full Version : 68 Camaro Door Jamb Inner Panel

mikekirby1
05-14-2014, 02:00 PM
So I purchased a project car that was "ready for paint" and you know the drill, now I have a camaro stripped down to the shell in my garage. Both quarter panels had been replaced but upon further inspection all I could do was shake my head, cut them off and order a new pair. Once I got the drivers side quarter off I saw that whoever changed the quarters previously cut through the panel that the striker bolt screws into that is behind the quarter panel itself. They then took it upon themself to just bolt the striker bolt to the quarter panel. My face might have gotten a little red when I saw this. Then I thought about the "what if" like what if I had went through and spent the money painting over this half #@@ work. Not to mention the guy I bought it from was a soldier and had this work done when he was deployed. Can anybody tell me the proper name of this panel and where I can buy one or the pair? I have searched and found this post....

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/59184-69-camaro-rear-door-jamb-inner-strike-support-panel?highlight=inner+door+striker

I haven't had any luck reaching Mike's Custom Cars by email or phone to see if they still have them available.

bretcopsey
05-14-2014, 02:23 PM
I've only seen that part available as an assembly that includes the inner quarter/roof inner support. www.autobodyspecialt.com lists at 389.00. Search for "quarter panel door assembly". The fact that it's in that assembly means somebody's reproducing it, maybe is just a matter of convincing somebody to sell it separately?

mikekirby1
05-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Anyone else??????

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/1mikekirby1/media/8B2223D3-81C7-4B1B-9D5E-C2640CEC88F9_zpszxyrwped.jpg.html

au1991rx
05-16-2014, 04:16 AM
I just got through this issue.. The first body guy working on my car claimed to know what he was doing, and didn't.. He threw this brace away, along with the other metal he cut off the car.. Fortunately, my new guy has been working to correct the mistakes and one of the first things he asked for was the striker bolt brace support for the passenger side, because he recognized it was missing.

Anyway, I found out you can not buy this part individually.. you have to buy the entire inner sail/qtr panel to get this piece, to the tune of something like $450.00 shipped. I ended up asking my parts suppliers for names of builders who regularly purchase parts for Camaro builds and asked if they would mind me contacting some of them. Many times they have a donor car sitting around. One builder cut this part out of a car he had sitting around and shipped it to me for $100, and I was very happy I did not have to spend $450.

By the way, the 67/68 brace is different from the 69. I sent e-mails to salvage yards specializing muscle cars and got a reply from one place that wanted $250.00 for the same part.

Good luck.. it took me a few weeks to find one.

mikekirby1
05-16-2014, 11:32 AM
Looks like I know what my next project is. I guess I will have to build this beast because i refuse to pay that kind of money for that little piece that isnt even seen. I bet between all of the scrap sheet metal I have left over and my handy-dandy Lincoln glue-gun I can make one that gets the job done. Challenge accepted! Thank you both for the info and wish me luck.

mikekirby1
05-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Found a place locally by the name of Camaro Country and they had plenty of them. Lots of old muscle cars if you need an odd ball part.

+1 (281) 458-8681

Camaro country.org