PDA

View Full Version : Got my 9" today!

69Myway
09-10-2004, 02:33 PM
I will post pics later.

I picked up the modifed 9" with Moser (sp?) axles. It has been fitted with 4th gen F body discs and e-brake system. It was widened to fit the offset running 2004 Vette wheels on the 69 Camaro.

After I test fit and add clips, etc. for the brake lines, I will then have to decide if I want to powder coat or paint.

The chunk in it now is just a junk chunk. The new chunk is awaiting final assembly.

Richz68
09-11-2004, 04:45 AM
Chris,

I am also planning on using a widened diff to fit the positive offset of ZO6 style Vette wheels on my '68 Camaro. What was the measurements of your diff? Did you mini-tub yours also?

Send some pics!!!

Thanks

69Myway
09-11-2004, 05:09 AM
Chris,

I am also planning on using a widened diff to fit the positive offset of ZO6 style Vette wheels on my '68 Camaro. What was the measurements of your diff? Did you mini-tub yours also?

Send some pics!!!

Thanks
The ZO6 wheels are wider than the standard C5. I am taking a huge risk, but it appears so far the standard 18" rear C5 wheels will fit. I am running a stiff sway bar front and rear to reduce side roll and help avoid any contact with the tires. I trimmed as much as possible of the inner wheel well while it was on the dolly.

The measurment from face to face of the outer hub with disc installed is 65". In other words, I added 2.5" per side from the stock axle.

Later today I will slip it under and test fit. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Worst case, I will have to tear in and mini-tub it.

69Myway
09-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got it slid up under there today and slid the subframe under to start some other mods.

It fits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Okay, there is not much/any room for error and there is a risk on extreme corners that it may rub. The stiff sway bar will help with this.

I weight 190, my buddy weighs 250. We both got in the trunk and bounced while my wife checked the clearance. It was fine.

So...pics soon. I am just exhausted from the heat/humidity and work today.

Richz68
09-11-2004, 03:48 PM
I had talked to a guy that was running 17x8.5 front C5 wheel in front with 245/40-17 tires w/2.25" spacers & 18x9.5 rear C5 wheels in the rear with 275/35-18 tires w/1.75" spacers.

He was using factory inter-wheels wheels in front & rear. Since he was running lowered springs on the rear they allowed ride height to cause rear outer wheels to rub when people sat in the back seats. He fixed that issue by replacing the rubber perch pad between the axle & springs with a hand made aluminum spacer & replaced the axle pin with a larger/tighter fitting steel pin.

So from his simple spacers of 1.75" each I would estimate that your rear was 3.5" wider than stock...... :hmm:

I will be using 18x10.5 ZO6 wheels in the back which means that I will be going with mini-tubs and possibly a 315 tire, but I can't wait to see your car with those wheels mounted!!! :cheers:

69Myway
09-11-2004, 05:02 PM
So there was some rub with passengers. Well, I guess I will cross it when I get there.

What I did was start with a stock rear drum brake axle. It was right at 60" wide.

I then built wood spacers and test fit with the rear C5 wheels. The magic number was 2.5" per side, or making the axle 65" wide from outer hub to outer hub.

On the front I ran VB&P spacers at 1.75 inch, as the C5 rotors are 1/4" off the stock hub. Most people run 2" front spacers, but this was my reasoning.

69Myway
09-12-2004, 02:32 AM
Look at the bottom of my page here:

http://mcspeed.homestead.com/69_Camaro_Resurrection.html

for the test fit pics of the 9" axle.

NOTE, I have just used bolts to hold the shackles to the axle and spring duing this test fit procedure.

OHCbird
09-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Chris-

Mike Britts comes highly reccomended here in Jax; how was your experience?

69Myway
09-14-2004, 01:03 AM
Chris-

Mike Britts comes highly reccomended here in Jax; how was your experience?
He is a good friend of mine. We swap and trade parts and stuff all the time. He really knows his stuff. He lives about 3 miles from me.

He has three camaros right now with his main interest on a 69 rag top. It looks like he will be spending more time on that in the near future.