PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Tahoe Limited Shop Truck Project

MonsterCarlo
05-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Just bought a 2000 Tahoe Limited that is basically shop truck. It's the old GMT 400 body style which I love. Doing some research I found that this is basically a civilian version of the police Tahoe and was supposed to be called SS. It's 2wd Posi (3.42), has a 350 TBI motor, trans cooler, 16" aluminum wheels, sway bars and bilstein shocks, no roof rack, ground effects, fog lights and is black like the 454 SS or Sport Silverado. It's really cool but needs some TLC.

Supposedly it's 2" lower than a standard Tahoe but I think it needs to get another 2" drop when I get new shocks. Don't want to notch the frame and go crazy with it. Just maybe a 2"/4" but it may already be level.

Just rebuilt the 4L60 trans (only had 2nd gear) with HD 4L65 Corvette parts and a new cooler. Blew head and intake gasket right after I bought and this 350 is tired and has that lovely cold startup SBC piston slap. Might LS swap it over the winter if I can find something good to freshen up.

Needs some interior stuff and various odds and ends but it's a solid Alabama truck with a cheap fresh paint job. Don't want to go nuts but needs more power and better suspension & brakes are on my list. What are the best lowering/suspension options for these and how about wheels & tires? Also interested decent brake upgrades that don't cost a ton.

Thanks,

Jeff

MonsterCarlo
05-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Sorry no pics. This mobile app says 'connection error' whenever I tried to attach to the post. Will add some when I get on the computer.

N2BNLOW
05-03-2014, 09:09 AM
DJM is a good company for lowering components.

http://djmsuspension.com/applications/chevroletgmc/

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/ this is a great site to get more info off of.

R1 Concepts are a good brake upgrade and Freedom Motor sports is running a great deal on a whole kit right now

MonsterCarlo
05-03-2014, 11:01 PM

xx_ED_xx
05-24-2014, 07:54 PM
I want that bumper :P

MonsterCarlo
05-30-2014, 11:56 PM
Yeah the fog lights in the black bumper is a really good look. Just took the plasti-dip off the wheels and it looks better but I think I'm gonna need to go with 18's of some sort. It really needs a drop, shocks and bushings, and new headlights soon.

boneheadzz
05-31-2014, 04:48 PM
It's just a diesel truck bumper. Well, it looks like the one on my old 96 k1500 diesel... LMCtruck.com sells them.
Mike

MonsterCarlo
07-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Here it is without the Plasti-Dip wheels. They're 16"X8"s and I may want to keep them or get them permanently blacked out with Nitroplate black satin. Are there decent tires in that size that would work well on a 4300lb truck?

Who makes a good cheap 18" wheel for these trucks? About to pull the trigger on a 2"Front/3" rear lowering kit, plus poly bushings all around.

Also just got a 5.3 LS motor for it to swap over the winter.

Also at the Chevy High Performance Nationals I picked up a 454SS Bowtie and a driver side door handle (stock one is cracked). Need a new driver's seat as it's broken and in permanent Gangsta lean mode.

Official project name is now "Darth Tahoe"

MonsterCarlo
07-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Yeah I think this bumper from LMC is very close (39-9804), but looks like they only sell it in chrome

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csd/full.aspx?Page=55

timmy2times
01-28-2015, 05:15 AM
Im very interested in this thread be sure to let us k ow what u get and how it works i may copy you for my 99 tahoe sleeper grocery getter

MonsterCarlo
05-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while, but here is what I've done since then. My goal is to update this truck to become a good driver/shop truck. I really like this body style and new trucks are expensive.

Ran it on the drag strip, and on a parade lap at the NCM Corvette road course in Bowling green. Most notably since I ran the full 2015 Hot Rod Power Tour with the Truck and will be on Power Tour again this year. Does that make me a Rat Pack member?

Build Updates

Had to rebuild the 4L60 transmission and differential. Still don't like the transmission, shift hard like a driveshaft clunk.
Added a sweet louvered hood that I found which came from a big block ambulance.
Changed out the headlights, fog lights, and driving lights.
Fixed my broken driver's seat. New cover for the bottom half where most truck seats rip.
Matched the front window tint to the back to look even more evil.
Coated the stock wheels with Nitroplate satin black. When I bought the truck it had stock wheels plasti-dipped. That didn't last long.
Dropped the truck 2" with DJM spindles and shackles (sits nice but hits hard on bumps, may need bump stop surgery)
Replaced all suspension with new poly bushings, tie rods, steering hardware, etc.
Brakes: Got a good deal on a SSBC rear disc brake conversion and quick change front caliper upgrade from a friend who had a kit lying around on a dead GMT400 project truck for a magazine. Looks good but was missing parts (rear brackets) and SSBC was really tough to deal with especially since I bought this second hand. And the kit had the wrong front discs (no ABS ring) and SSBC refused to swap me for discs with ABS rings and they're still not sure they even have what I need. So I bought some stock non slotted, non zinc plated rotors for the front. So my front rotors don't match my rears at the moment.

Next Round of Updates

Got a great deal on a low mileage 6.0L truck LS motor that I'm going to swap in. 2014 motor with 5000 miles. L92/LS3 type heads. Going to get rid of DoD and VVT. Do a cam upgrade, maybe Holley cast exhaust manifolds and a good exhaust setup. Gathering swap parts now.
4L80E transmission swap same time as the LS motor
I have a 14 bolt rear we might swap in as well. Would be better if I end up using to tow with it. (Open trailer for Monster Carlo or other project cars)
Have a rear roll pan to paint to clean up the rear. Probably repaint front bumper at this time. It has lots of stone/bug damage.
Need a new black front grill. This one is cracked and a painted chrome grill. Lots of bug/stone damage as well.
Driver door and rear barn door have some issues. Broken handles on both and I need to roll the window down to open.
New carpet. Probably black. The grey is super stained.
When I fix the doors and replace the carpet I plan to also do some dynamat and upgrade the stereo system. Nothing crazy.
Have a new dashboard and console (both are cracked). Also want a black dash cover to complete the turn to the dark side...
Other little stuff.

Since the steering/front rebuild and lowering, the truck handles much better. It's not an autocross truck by any means, but it's nice and tight. It's basically a short bed pickup with a roof. It's a driver, and after this last round of mods I'll probably be all in (including purchase price) about $10K for a truck that's nice, runs well, will run for another 10+ years and still looks awesome IMO.

More pics:

esteen2
05-18-2016, 03:53 PM
Were the upgraded calipers worth it?

MonsterCarlo
05-18-2016, 08:10 PM
Were the upgraded calipers worth it?

It stops better, but no. Luckily I got a deal on them.