PDA

View Full Version : My wife's old car. '66 Mustang

I_make_oil
05-01-2014, 03:33 AM
Well I figured it was time I started a build thread as this is the site that motivated me to build this car. In my introduction when I first joined the site I told the story of how we came to own the car and described my initial plan. Well reading this forum and driving the car with a modified inline 6 quickly convinced me to go another direction. I work in the oil industry in West Africa so my time home is very important to me. I also know my limited fabrication skills will extend the length of time this build will take and also effect the level of quality of the finished product. So I've chosen to use a builder out of Gonzales Louisiana.

Corey Fisher is a friend of mine from another site I post on who owns a body shop in Gonzales Louisiana, Fisher Collision. We have similar ideas about what we like so I think it'll be a good fit as my builder.

I want my car to be fun to drive, comfortable, turn heads and really perform. Something that I really like is fat tires on classic Mustangs. I mean really fat tires. 315's fat. That's difficult to do and I've rarely seen it on them so that's a priority for me. I don't like to see fat back tires overwhelm the fronts so the fronts will also be wide. I'm going with a 4 link suspension on the rear and a Rod and Custom MII on the front. Initially I was planning on going with shock waves on both front and rear but discussions with a rep at Rod and Customs convinced me otherwise. I'd love to go that way but have concerns about drive ability. How difficult is it to keep your front end aligned with air ride on the front? Anyways as of now I'll be going with coil overs. For the engine I've changed my mind a few times. Originally I was going with a 5.0 out of an 96 Explorer I bought for parts. Then I decided to go with a Coyote crate motor. But looking at other builds I decided I didn't like the way the engine looked in the car. What to do? Well my builder Corey contacted me and told me he found a great deal on a 351 W. We talked about it and I bought it. The engine once out together should put out in excess of 450hp. That's plenty for this car. Now I'm in the air about what transmission to go with. My rear will be a shortened 8.8 out of the explorer. I'm thinking about a T5 from Summit that is supposed to handle up to 600hp. Any advice on this? I guess that's it for now. Here is the project . :)

I_make_oil
05-01-2014, 03:45 AM
When I first bought it.

I_make_oil
05-01-2014, 03:52 AM
I'm posting while at work from my IPad. So I don't have all of my pictures here.

Here is the car with the engine and transmission pulled heading to Corey's.

I_make_oil
05-01-2014, 04:12 AM
The car is nearly 50 years old and has been through quite a few owners. I can't even imagine how many times it's been painted. The car looks pretty good from a distance but closer up it really shows it's problems. Lots of paint blisters, the front fenders where welded to the windshield cowl at some point. Rust on fenders, doors and inner fenders where the obvious things. Corey and crew pulled the car down to see what was what.

Along the line Corey decided he wanted to record the build with a Go Pro some of the pics are from that. I'll post the video when the car is finished.

Floor boards. Someone patched them with fiberglass in the past. Lots of hidden gems like that as we proceed. Really we expected problems but to be honest the rust was much worse than I expected.

I_make_oil
05-01-2014, 04:38 AM
We where finding lots of old body work so we decided to send the car off for soda blasting.

When we got it back every panel was found to be in need of work. Also found the car had been hit hard in the rear and on the drivers side and repaired.

I_make_oil
05-01-2014, 04:48 AM
More pics

I_make_oil
05-01-2014, 05:03 AM
All this rust and poorly repaired collision damage made me decide to just replace all the body panels instead of repairing them. Corey and crew cut them off and found more problems. The rear us framed where bent and pushed forward in the past. Corey went ahead and put the car on his frame machine and straightened everything out.

I_make_oil
05-01-2014, 05:10 AM
DSE mini tub kit going in.

I_make_oil
05-01-2014, 05:28 AM
The new tires. The fronts are 255 40 17's. The rears are 315 35 17's. The wheels will be Bullitts 8 x 17's on the front and 10.5 x 17's on the rear. I want the car to have a classic look and feel the Bullitt's give that. The new tires came in today.

And mocked up on the car.

I_make_oil
05-01-2014, 05:50 AM
New floor pans

Body going back together.

And that's basically how it stands right now. Corey is installing the 4 link. Once the wheels come in they will be mounted on the tires and the measurements will be taken for the rear differential. Then the front suspension will be installed. I hope to have a roller by the end of the month.

I_make_oil
05-01-2014, 05:58 AM
This is my first project anyone have any advice? What are the thoughts on the transmission? I've already bought a shot peened T5 bell housing. How about the ride tech shock waves. What if I just install them the back. I'd like to carry passengers from time to time. I worry about the rear sagging to much with the coil overs with passengers. Will it give an equivalent ride to coil overs?

lucky13firebird
05-01-2014, 06:20 AM
Yeah, man you went full head on in this. That's good. Don't lose the momentum. Stay away from t5 transmissions though. Either use a a toploader 4 speed or a TKO 500 or somthing... and if going with the 4 speed then nothing over a 3.55 rear gear... or you will never drive it... With a TKO anything up to a 4.11 will be good. What are you gonna do for a motor? An aluminum 427 would be nuts.... But even an iron 347 stroker will be more than enough in these light cars.

I_make_oil
05-01-2014, 07:18 AM
Sorry I didn't mention the engine. I initially planned to build a 5.0 out of a 96 Explorer I bought for parts then decided I didn't like the way the intake looked so I sold it. Next I thought about a coyote but don't feel it looks right in the engine bay of a '66 either. One day Corey called me and told me about a 351W. A deal was made and now it's off being built. I hope to get around 450hp out of it. I think that will look just right I there. I had thought about stroking it but 450hp should be plenty.

On the tranny I'm seriously thinking about a T5 from summit. They have one rated for up to 600 hp. The rear I'm using is the 8.8 out of the explorer. It has posi loc and 3.73 gears. My concern right now is fitting the hood over the engine. I planned on keeping the stock hood now I'm thinking about a fiberglass hood with a big Shelby due to that. Corey says I might need to go with a cowl induction hood. I think I'll wait until the engine is in to decide.

65coupe408w
05-01-2014, 07:31 AM
i have a G-force built T-5 behind a conservative 500hp 408w in my 65 fastback. I have had zero issues with it. I am running a 3.70 gear and cruise at 75mph at 2000rpm. if you have a built T-5 I wouldn't worry too much about its durability

lucky13firebird
05-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Loving the explorer 8.8 idea. I got one in my 68 mustang. Same gears with posi. Can't go wrong with that 351. But go for a stroker, same price practically for a 408 as rebuilding that 351w... and you won't be stressing the parts as much with the extra power you'll make lower... The same 450hp out of a 408 is much easier than 450hp out of a 351.

I_make_oil
05-01-2014, 10:55 AM
The engine was already built and only has a few hundred miles on it. The guy who originally built it had it in an old Cougar. For some reason it was only used a little while and then pulled. It then sat in storage for many years before I bought it. My mechanic is going thru it and freshening it up. All internals are forged and the heads are gone through. I think I'll leave it as it is for now.

The wheels came in today. Corey put the tires on and mocked it up and sent me a pic.

65coupe thanks for the advice on the transmission. Do you have a build thread?

kencobra
05-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Looking great, love seeing more Mustangs on here. I am doing a very similar build with my '66 coupe.

lucky13firebird
05-02-2014, 01:07 AM
Nice score on the engine then, I thought you were building from scratch. This things gonna fly.

I_make_oil
05-02-2014, 01:46 AM
Thanks. Looking forward to finishing it so I can enjoy it. Still looking for any advice on the shock waves?

Camberdually
05-02-2014, 02:39 PM
With the shock waves air ride has come along way. Up until 3 years ago even my daily driver had air ride. I'm sure they have something similar to accuair if not check them out. This setup will give you the exact ride height at the push of a button every time so your alignment is fine. I always ran pressure gauges and this helped me out on aligned ride height but the acclaim is a whole mother game. It goes on height not pressure so if 50 people pile in your car it will still raise to the aligned preset height. My last dually I put over 100k miles with air ride and besides normal maintenance everything was flawless. Good luck.

I_make_oil
05-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Camberdually, thanks for the reply. I have a PM to Josh@ridetech. I'm thinking I will go with the shockwaves. I like the adjustability.

I_make_oil
05-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Yesterday I ordered my front suspension. After talking to Josh at Ridetech and looking at my options I decided to go with the TCI Mustang II front end. I ordered from Stang-aholics. I went with a TCI Mustang II front end, Power Steering, single adjustable Shockwaves, standard spindles, and Wilwood brakes. I wanted 2'' lowered spindles but TCI recommended against it with the Shockwaves. I also got a Wilwood Master Cylinder. Can't wait to get it all in and installed.

I_make_oil
05-15-2014, 10:32 PM
Ordered my Ididit column and linkages yesterday from Stangaholics will be 2 weeks out with the features I ordered. Corey and crew are doing body work right now and still waiting on the front suspension from TCI. I'd kinda like to hold off on the rear until the front is installed and I can have the correct ride height settings for the 4 link. Also waiting to order my rear shockwaves until I have a better idea on the ride height.Looking at the March serpentine belt kit for the front of my 351W. Any advice out there on this? Radiator, I'm looking at a Champion brand. Any recommendations?

Camberdually
05-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Wonder why the suggested against the drop spindles I thought the 2 inch spindles put the mustang 2 front end at a stock height. I guess the shock waves are shorter then coilovers at full extension. Let's see some picks.

chunger
05-16-2014, 09:11 PM
The T-5 should be fine. It's all about how you drive it. If you plan on dropping the clutch, or putting slicks on it, eh, maybe a T-5 isn't the right choice. For something you can drive 'normally' (whatever that means), it should be fine. And it's substantially smaller than a TKO, making fit much easier.

I_make_oil
05-17-2014, 12:33 AM
Camberdually, they told me it would require to much air on the shockwave to achive ride hight which would give a rough ride. This is from TCI. I orginally ordered the 2'' drop spindles. I did a change order after their recommendations. If I'm not happy with the ride height I'll change them. I have not received the suspension yet. Once I do and it's in I'll post up pics. chunger, I decided to go with a G-force T5 from Jegs. http://www.jegs.com/p/G-Force-Transmissions/G-Force-5-Speed-T5-Transmission/1343711/10002/-1 I talked to G-force directly but to order from them will be a 6 to 8 week wait. Jeg's has them in stock for the same price I'd pay direct from G-force. I will be running 315's on the back and a narrowed 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears. I hope this drive train can handle the power the engine will put out and those wide tires. It all seems to work on paper...... I have seriously considered the T56 because there is no doubt about it handling the power but do not want to cut up my tunnel to make it fit. Also, I already have the shot peened bell housing for a T5. If I go T56 I'll have to get the bell housing and everything else. 99% sure I'm going T5. I still have some time before I have to commit to this.I'm looking for a serpentine system for the engine accessories right now. I'm going to run power steering and AC. Any recommendations? I've talked to March but the person I talked to on the phone was only semi helpful. Ryan at Stangaholics is trying to talk me into their system but I just don't think it looks nearly as nice as the March system. Form follows function for me though so still looking for recommendations.

southern151
06-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone! My facility is responsible for what you've seen take place thus far. This car has been a lot of fun to work on and, it's getting even funner as we get into the steering and, suspension. I will make every effort possible to post some updated photos in the next couple of days. Thanks to all who have viewed this thread and, even more to those who have shared their experiences!

southern151
06-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Here's a couple of quick pics of the front and, rear suspension. Steering and, suspension are likely my favorite part of a vehicle...Especially when you have to modify it!96780

southern151
06-03-2014, 03:44 PM

lucky13firebird
06-03-2014, 04:16 PM
wow, thats a lot of progress, thats some good stuff ;-)

Mod65Street
06-03-2014, 06:18 PM
So far looking good. What 4 link kit is being used? I'm trying to figure out what kit would fit with an 8.8 running 18x10 (possibly 10.5) in the rear.

southern151
06-04-2014, 04:40 AM
We went with a basic 4 link modeled after a Helix. It is supposed to be a bolt in but, we had planned to weld it anyway...It's a good thing we planned to weld it because it wouldn't fit where it was designed to since we mini-tubbed the car.

We started on the cleaning up and, narrowing of the 8.8 last night. It isn't too bad to do, really and, it'll allow us to run the 17x10.5 with a 315 tire too!

riles
06-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Did you roll the lip on the rear wells and/or narrow the frame to get those 315s to fit? I did the DSE tubs on my 65 and theres no way to get 315s in there.

southern151
06-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Riles, we will be rolling the quarter lip, for sure. We also brought the frame in a couple of inches. It's going to be a tight fit but, we'll get em in there. Sometimes, you just have to get a running start to make something fit! LOL

Mod65Street
06-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Do you happen to have more pictures of the 4 link setup and also the rear frame rail work?

riles
06-06-2014, 04:50 AM
Riles, we will be rolling the quarter lip, for sure. We also brought the frame in a couple of inches. It's going to be a tight fit but, we'll get em in there. Sometimes, you just have to get a running start to make something fit! LOL

Looking good and definitely watching this build.

I_make_oil
06-21-2014, 12:22 AM
I'm going to need a hood. The engine builder has concerns about the 351W fitting under a stock hood. I would prefer to use a fiberglass hood with a Shelby scoop. But he thinks I will need a Cowl induction hood for the additional room it provides. Anyone know what will work? I have the TCI IFS with the SBF mounts.

Crestronwizard
06-21-2014, 06:53 AM
I like this approach. Nice build.

I_make_oil
06-22-2014, 12:40 AM
Thanks. I am enjoying the process. The car won't be cutting edge PT but it will be a very nice Daily Driver car with cool features that can turn heads I hope. I also really like your car as well and have enjoyed watching it's progress. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

southern151
06-23-2014, 05:04 AM
At this point, I don't have any updates. The collision side of my shop has picked up big time in the last couple of weeks so, we've been trying to satisfy that. I'll post more up as soon as I get them though

Z06killinSBF
07-04-2014, 05:23 AM
Killer build man! I like that 4 link

I_make_oil
07-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Thanks. Yours was a big inspiration for parts of mine. With all of the work you already have in your's you should go with the 4link. You will be much happier when your done.

I ordered the Mustangs to Fear engine bay panels. The motor is going together. As Corey said the collision side of his shop has picked up but hopefully he will be able to get back to this one soon. We had talked about the car being finished in time for Crusing the Coast in October but I just don't see that happening. Right now I'd like to see it done for Christmas but I'm not going to rush thru this. It's more important to me it be done right than to rush any of it. I've finally decided on the hood for the car and will be going with a Maier Cowl hood.

MonzaRacer
07-05-2014, 03:40 AM
Dude who is feeding you BS about air ride and alignment? I ran air ride from 04 through 09(not running right now) and its still on my 78 C10 and I have zero issues with alignment. You set your ride height, align the car and your done. Unless you try to lay frame and drive 1000 miles or try to max it out and look like big foot and drive 1000 miles. The alignment has to do with suspension hard parts, ride height is from the air ride. AND as for ride and handling AND load level control you wont find better setup. Ridetech/Air Ride Technologies pushed it to where we are today. I remember reading John Hotchkis in an article saing air ride was only for fair grounds and laying frame,,,,,,,check out Ridetech equipped autocrossers.
I remember hearing the round bell ring when Hotchkis said that,,,now lots of people run air ride.
You want ride with handling and adjustability and quality, call Ridetech. And now Ridetech has even stepped up the coil over playing field. Go big or go home is Ridetech game, and Bret does that, heck his sig say if it breaks fix it and he keeps setting the bar higher for innovation and quality.
Shockwave are what he keeps pushing me to run on my Caprice, had the idea to use air springs ("air bags") but still "debating" options.
Nice car, yeah I know what you say about Mustangs not having enough tire in back.

Z06killinSBF
07-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks. Yours was a big inspiration for parts of mine. With all of the work you already have in your's you should go with the 4link. You will be much happier when your done.

Naw, the leafs always rode great to me. Plus I have everything complete, no need to tear it all back down again for a small gain.

I_make_oil
07-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Things have slowed a little and Corey's been able to get some work done on the car. Engine bay panels are on the way finally. Rear differential is finally back together and going under the car later today/tomorrow for 4 link brackets. We will also take the measurements for the rear Shockwaves. Once it's all fitted and welded up it goes off for powder coating. Ordered a billet AC/heater bulkhead plate, Lokar accelerator pedal and modern driveline clutch master cylinder. Hope to have the engine bay completely mocked and smoothed in the next few weeks. Then the front fenders will go on and we will get to see how the wheels fit with the 255's up front. Moving along again! :twothumbs

I_make_oil
07-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Here is the 4 link brackets being installed on the rear end.

I_make_oil
07-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Here it is back on the ground at ride height. I'm sure Corey will post up better pics. I'm out of the country until next week.

lucky13firebird
07-10-2014, 02:54 PM
coming together nicely man.

I_make_oil
07-14-2014, 07:21 AM
The 4 link I ordered was not made for an 8.8 differential. The axle tubes have a larger diameter on mine. Corey had to modify them and lengthen them to fit the tubes. Work is still ongoing.

I ordered a billet flange for the steering column. Once everything is in the engine bay work will continue.

Josh@Ridetech
07-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Very cool build, let me know if you need anything! :twothumbs

I_make_oil
07-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Thanks Josh. I'll be contacting you soon.

I_make_oil
07-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Got my Wilwood hydralic clutch set up from Modern driveline and my steering column flange in. Also received my Mustangs to fear engine bay panels. Not very happy with the fit of those. Will return them and go a different direction there. Have a few ideas about how to clean things up. Will post up pics as we move forward in the engine bay. Corey is still working on the rear 4 link to get more travel.

southern151
08-12-2014, 05:06 AM

I_make_oil
08-13-2014, 08:41 AM
Corey's doing an excellent job. The car is really coming along. I think the before and after of the firewall is pretty cool, it's not finished but well on its way. Josh at Ridetech has been very helpful in sorting the rear suspension as far as geometry questions. In fact every time we've called him he's been helpful. Thank you Josh.

I_make_oil
10-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Engine still going together. It's nearly done at the machine shop. T5 transmission is in from G-force. Ordered RPM adjustable motor mounts, transmission crossmember and transmission mount from CJ Pony parts. Shifter fork, hyd clutch slave cylinder, shifter etc from Modern driveline and the fuel tank from Mustangs to Fear. The fenders are rolled and work to the dash and closing off of the cowl vents is ongoing. Hopefully the engine and tranny will be installed for mock up soon and the rest of the front sheetmetal finished. Once this is all complete I will order a hood and be ready to tear it apart for finishing and paint. I am so ready to see this thing in paint with all 4 wheels on the ground.

My wife and I have attended several car shows here recently trying to get ideas for the interior of the car and it's got me looking for the next project. This one will be her car when it's finished, I'm building a '68 Corvette convertable for myself. I want to finish this one first.

I_make_oil
10-22-2014, 12:40 PM
The engine mounts, transmission crossmember, mount and all of the clutch parts are in as well as the fuel tank. Today Corey picked up the block and heads from the machine shop and dropped it off with the builder. Will post up more pictures as progress is made.

charliezrods
10-22-2014, 10:41 PM
WOW very exciting.

I_make_oil
10-23-2014, 11:10 AM
I was going to paint the engine Ford blue. But seeing it mocked up have decided to go with black. I really think it makes the billet stand out. The tank fits like a glove. Corey is getting the transmission together and hopefully the engine and transmission will mocked up on the car by next week. :woot:

Now I need to order my radiator. :yeah:

I_make_oil
10-29-2014, 01:20 AM
RPM adjustable motor mounts. Has any one used them? Any opinions? I bought a pair to use on my car but am throughly unimpressed with the quality of them. Also they don't warranty them? I am not going to put these on my car. I'm just going to go with plain regular motor mounts and return these. If I need to make modifications to my transmission tunnel then so be it. Any recommendations on a good quality Cowl Induction hood for my Mustang? I will need the room to clear my engine. I like the way the one on Ron's $5000.00 Mustang looks I think he said it was a Maier from CJ Pony Parts? I've looked at their site and they don't specify that their hood is a Maier. I want the best quality I can get is that a Maier?

I_make_oil
10-29-2014, 10:27 PM
I finally decided on my pulley and accessory system. I went with a March Revolver. When It comes in I hope to have it on the engine for the mock up. I wanted a good serpentine system with a passenger side mid mount for my AC compressor. I think the March systems are very cool looking too. Derrick over at March was a big help in picking out the right package for my needs. Hopefully I'll have some new pictures to share soon.

I_make_oil
11-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Today was a HUGE milestone in my project. The engine and transmission is in the car for fiitment and mock up. :jump:

I am heading back to the US today and hope to be able to see the car for myself on Wednesday.

Thanks is to everyone who has followed my build and commented. I appreciate your input. It certainly has helped me in some of my decision making.

I_make_oil
11-05-2014, 03:30 AM
March Serpentine kit installed.

I_make_oil
02-10-2015, 05:56 AM
I haven't posted in a while. The car was on th side burner for a while due to the holidays and life. It's finally moving along again. The engine is pulled and in storage. I plan to have it tested and dynoed before it is reinstalled. The engine bay is now all together. Both front fenders have been fit and the car is on a rotisserie so the bottom can be blasted, welded out and undercoated with a rubberized bed liner.

I_make_oil
02-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Blasting the bottom.

I_make_oil
02-24-2015, 02:15 AM
Bottom is all welded up, primed and seam sealer is going on. Once that is finished the bed liner will be spayed on. I need to order my rear brakes now. The rear is off for assembly. Coming along nicely. I wish we would have had a rotisserie soner it would have made things much easier and faster. Live and learn.

I_make_oil
04-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Ok. The rear differential is all done. The engine is completed and going to the Dyno tuner to have the cam run in and tuned and to be dynoed. They are expecting it to come in between 550 and 600 hp I will believe it when I see it. I'd be thrilled with 400. Hopefully the bottom will be sprayed soon and it can start going together. That will not be the air filter that lives on the car. It is just until it goes in the car.

xsboost90
04-20-2015, 06:14 PM
looking good. My car spent almost two years on the rotisserie. As soon as i could that thing was down. Nice build

kencobra
04-20-2015, 06:33 PM
Looking great, keep up the great work. Lots of similarities to what I am doing with my '66 coupe.

I_make_oil
05-26-2015, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the comments. It's finally moving along again. Here is is getting the bottom sprayed with bed liner.

I_make_oil
05-26-2015, 10:23 PM
I have the lizard skin on the way. It's back up right side for a bit of final body work and then the engine bay will be sprayed body color before it begins to go together. I'll post up some more pics in the next few days. Hopefully it will be a roller in the next week or so. Also have the new AC coming in from Restomod air.

lucky13firebird
05-27-2015, 01:14 AM
Starting to come together now, looking good.

I_make_oil
05-27-2015, 05:09 AM
Thanks. The vent cowl is close in now. Next is shaving the dash. I want to remove the ash tray, AC controls and smooth every thing.

I_make_oil
07-03-2015, 05:23 AM
Time for an update. I bought my AC components from Restmod AC. The quality is excellent. I went with a Haymaker which is a bit big for my car but living in Louisiana I wanted to move as much air as possible. To be able to tuck it as high under the dash as possible we built brackets to hold it off the firewall and raise it up. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. It allows easier running of the hoses from the firewall to the unit and will allow me to better hide the wiring. My center console will be in front of the part hanging down. I'm going to try to run AC ducts thru my center console for rear vents.

I_make_oil
07-03-2015, 05:28 AM
I'm installing a much larger radiator to help with cooling my stroker motor. The battery will also mount in the trunk to help make room. Next is to fab up the AC condensor mounts.

I_make_oil
07-03-2015, 05:31 AM
The fire wall is cleaned up and primed. In this picture the radiator opening had yet to be modified. The factory radiator was MUCH smaller.

wfo guy
07-03-2015, 06:39 AM
Good work. If you have not planned to install additional sound deadener and insulation after the lizard skin, I would like to encourage you to do so. It appears to me that you want this to be as good as it can be. I find that the more I install, the better it is. Did you get the dyno results yet?

I_make_oil
07-03-2015, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. I've really been kicking it around in my head weather or not to install Dynamat or not. I'm for sure installing it to the firewall, tunnel, roof and doors. Your recommendation has pushed me more towards just doing the entire car.

I have been unable to find anyone local who can/will Dyno it for me out the car. I'm just going to cross my fingers we don't have any problems with it during break in after its installed. If I was doing it over I would buy a crate engine.

Gcwstang
07-03-2015, 03:29 PM
I recommend using lizard skin, it works really well with heat and sound.

I_make_oil
07-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I already bought the lizard skin. I'm just thinking about also doing Dynamat in addition to the Lizard skin.

Finished mounting the AC Condenser. Now it's all apart and primed. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

wfo guy
07-04-2015, 03:47 AM
Here's a link for the insulation I use: http://www.lobucrod.com
This was the sound deadener I used in my last build: http://www.thermotec.com/products/14600-suppressor-acoustical-heat-control-mat.html
There's plenty of places to buy the mat. I paid around $50 for a 3x5 size. There's lots of choices for sound mat. Some is too cheap. I also used Dynadeck for a floor mat. That's a really nice product.

I_make_oil
07-06-2015, 06:09 PM
I was planning on just smoothing the dash and installing these vents where the stereo was. Corey my builder sent me this picture today. Any opinions?

Ls1velle
07-07-2015, 02:51 AM
On the rear suspension did you put the right bracket on the left and left bracket on the right. Thats what i did with the Heidts kit i installed on my 66. The original way was a no go for big tires.

I_make_oil
07-07-2015, 04:11 AM
LS1velle that I exactly what we did and moved them to inside the frame rails.

Z06killinSBF
07-07-2015, 07:17 AM
For the center vents, I like the idea but I'd see about creating a raised bezel or lower the faceplate to replicate the chrome "rim" like the glove box and gauge bezel. IMO if it was left flat it would stand out more. There is a car Kiwi Customs built that used a cut up gauge cluster to add center gauges in the same location, looked killer.

I_make_oil
07-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Dash is shaved and vents are finished.

:twothumbs

I_make_oil
07-10-2015, 03:45 PM
Differential is all finished. Will install it all next week.

A cool mod is the removal of the stock Ford axle vent tube and replaced with GM vents.

Yellow66
07-10-2015, 07:00 PM
What's the gm vent part number? Never heard of this swap

I_make_oil
07-11-2015, 05:33 PM
It is a sintered breather vent. My Ford axles had a vent tube. I think this is a much nicer option.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=381258414187&globalID=EBAY-US

Yellow66
07-11-2015, 07:31 PM
I like that. Ordered a few, thanks

I_make_oil
07-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Painted the front crossmember, frame rails and the front of the radiator support. The rest of the engine bay will be body color. Once this is finished we will begin installing the suspension and drive train.

IDontKnowWhatImDoing
07-16-2015, 06:41 PM
Damn, beautiful build. Did you have to get rid of your rear seat with the tub size you went with?

I_make_oil
07-17-2015, 01:30 PM
No sir. The rear seat will fit with a few modifications.

I_make_oil
07-29-2015, 05:49 PM
Woo hoooo :bananna2::bananna2: the Lizard Skin is FINISHED! I will still Dyna Mat the interior and install carpet pad under the Mustangs to Fear headliner. We did not spray Lizard Skin in the doors. I'm just going to use Dyna mat there. The front suspension is in and the engine bay is blocked. Should have color on the engine bay next week the rear differential installed and the car on the ground.

twosaturns
07-30-2015, 06:05 AM
just found your build, I like what you guys are doing! but how do you have time for fishing while working on the car?

my wife is from Vacherie, and my in-laws are still there. hoping to come down for some fishing this winter maybe.

I_make_oil
07-30-2015, 06:40 PM
I have the car at a shop. I'm one of those people who know what he wants but lacks the time, space and skills to do the quality of work I want this car to be done to. My skill sets lay in other places. I'm very fortunate to have a builder who works with me, shares my vision and enjoys this car as much as I do.

I_make_oil
07-30-2015, 06:48 PM
This is what I'm wanting the car to look like when it's finished except the color will be Sterling Gray.

I_make_oil
07-31-2015, 04:41 PM
The outside of the engine bay aprons are now painted and the engine bay is sealed.

I_make_oil
07-31-2015, 04:43 PM
Paint is mixed and goin on.

I_make_oil
07-31-2015, 04:45 PM
Final coat before clear and after.

I_make_oil
07-31-2015, 04:47 PM
Front suspension all back together for the last time. Did a trial fit of the front wheels and found a few problems. Might have to rethink my front tire size and wheel offset. Rear suspension will go in next week and the drive train. Hopefully we can sort the wheel issue quickly.

PANTYEATR
08-03-2015, 07:01 PM
this is a very nice build you have yourself oil guy...I'm subscribing now.

I_make_oil
08-03-2015, 07:49 PM
Thanks. It's a fun project.

joe28443
08-04-2015, 07:33 AM
What front suspension are you going with again? Great build, love the ACvents

blade
08-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Great build! Can't wait to see the finished product!

I_make_oil
08-05-2015, 05:46 AM
Thanks. It's back on the ground and the question with the wheel fit is answered. I'm not very happy with the ride height on the front. In this pic it is completely aired out. I did not get the lowered spindles on the vendors recommendation when I first bought the kit. After seeing this I will be replacing these spindles with the 2" dropped versions. More pics to come once this is sorted out. By the way those are 255X40X17's on 8" wide wheels all tucked under the fender with no flare. :)

Joe I went with TCI.

I_make_oil
08-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Ready to order the rear shockwaves, lowered spindles, the compressor and air management system. Corey and crew are blocking the car and getting ready for paint. The doors will go on Monday. The engine and transmission should also go in next week.

I really am happy with the way things are moving along.

joe28443
08-08-2015, 07:06 AM
115842I've decided to go with opentracker suspension up front with the crites spring relocation in the rear minitubbed. This is what it looks like now. I love your stance

I_make_oil
08-21-2015, 10:48 PM
Thanks. My goal was as low as possible with the widest tires possible, still be able to retain the back seat and remain a quality ride with good performance. I believe we've accomplished this although I've yet to drive it I'm confident it will meet those goals as well.

We've been busy.

I_make_oil
08-21-2015, 10:57 PM
The lowered spindles have not yet arrived for the front. Today is the first time the car has been outside on its own 4 wheels in over a year and a half. In this picture the rear shockwave is not yet installed. The rear is sitting on the bump stops and is still able to roll without rubbing. We are going to install the rear shockwaves next week and do a trial fit of the air system.

I_make_oil
08-21-2015, 11:03 PM
Can anyone give me some advice. Will a stock hood fit over a 351W with a Edlebrock RPM manifold along with TCI front crossmember? I need to order a hood and would prefer a stock hood. If it won't fit I will use a cowl hood. I might have to buy both, paint and do a trial fit after the engine is installed. We've decided to paint the car before the final installation of the engine and driveline.

Godbolt
08-22-2015, 03:10 AM
Don't know the answer I'm afraid. Why not buy the stock hood and if it doesn't fit turn it into a cowl hood? Could stay all metal.
Looking very good!

I_make_oil
08-26-2015, 01:03 PM
I couldn't find anyone who knew the answer to my hood question so I bought both a factory hood and a Fiberglass Cowl hood. Both will be painted and I'll choose the one that works the best.

The lowered spindles came in. I have to say TCI is an awesome company to work with. I highly recommend them. The look is right what I was hoping for. Any lower would have required modifying the car to a point I couldn't use the rear seat and brought on many more problems. The first picture is straight on. The next picture shows the rake and the suspension fully aired out and finally the last picture is the control arms. At ride height the will be parallel and there will be between 1 and 1 1/2" above the top of the tire. :headbang:

I_make_oil
09-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Returned the stock hood as it was damaged in shipping. The Maier cowl hood should be in any day that is what will live on the car. Decided to wait on installing the engine until after paint. Will hopefully have more updates to share in next few weeks.

I_make_oil
09-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Rear shockwaves are on and the hood is in. I really hope it has paint on it this month.

Bossed
09-12-2015, 04:40 AM
Great work, love the STANCE :twothumbs

I_make_oil
09-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Thank you very much. I'm pretty happy with how it sits now. I am however reconsidering my wheel choice. I think 18" wheels would fill the wheel wells much better. I went with 17's due to the difficulty in finding a 315 street tire in 18". Any recommendations? I'll probably just leave the wheels alone until the car is finished.

HotRod47
09-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Perfect stance!!

langleylad
09-12-2015, 07:04 PM
Thank you very much. I'm pretty happy with how it sits now. I am however reconsidering my wheel choice. I think 18" wheels would fill the wheel wells much better. I went with 17's due to the difficulty in finding a 315 street tire in 18". Any recommendations? I'll probably just leave the wheels alone until the car is finished.

I went with a 295/35/18 (in my 68 Cougar) which is only 1/2" narrower than the 315 and it's still a big tire . I also went with the TCI kit up front .

I_make_oil
09-14-2015, 03:41 PM
I got to spend some time with my car today. Here are a few pics.

New hood hinge.

I_make_oil
09-24-2015, 08:07 PM
Met with a member from another board who was in town and wanted to see the Mustang. She is in final primer and will hopefully be going into paint next week. Tomorrow the dash and steering column should be painted.

I_make_oil
09-25-2015, 07:54 PM
Dash is painted. Ordered bumpers and gauges today.

Crestronwizard
09-26-2015, 07:01 PM
I went with a 295/35/18 (in my 68 Cougar) which is only 1/2" narrower than the 315 and it's still a big tire . I also went with the TCI kit up front .

Same tire size I'm running. Michelin Pilot Sports. They seemed to be one of the best street tires out , of course that was three years ago and I might have one mile on them, lol.

I think the 351W would fit the stock hood. My coyote would have cleared if I wasn't running a blower and body dropped it. Prob would have cleared without the body drop.

Nice to see more coupes being done. Keep up the good work and the updates!

I_make_oil
09-30-2015, 05:29 AM
Thanks. I really don't think we could have fit a stock hood with the intake I have on the engine. This is my first big build and I've learned lots along the way. I have a long list of lessons learned for my next project.

The hood, front fenders, doors, stone guard and front apron are on. Had some questions on the hood but Mr. Charles Maier himself was good enough to work us through them. I'm very impressed with the level of support we've received from the industry as we've built this car. I hope to have some pictures of the car with all the panels in place before its disassembled again for final paint. I know it won't be ready for cruising the coast but I am planning on doing the power tour with it this summer.

I_make_oil
10-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Body work is continuing. This has been the most frustrating part of the project for me. So near yet so far. All the comments I've read about paint jail are so true. :Alchy:

That said the guys working on my car really are going the distance to make sure the car is 100% before paint. The door gaps were terrible as well as the fender gaps and where the head light buckets met and they transitioned to the cowl. We ended up buying new head light buckets which weren't much better. The hood to fender gap also fought us. The previous time the car was painted the front fenders and all the rest of the car had been welded together and the seams filled. When the car was disassembled everything had to be cut apart. I guess filling all of the seams is easier than fixing the gaps the correct way. I used to think that ''smoothing'' the seams was a custom touch. I'm now learning it is a short cut to making things actually fit.

langleylad
10-30-2015, 06:28 AM
Body work is continuing. This has been the most frustrating part of the project for me. So near yet so far. All the comments I've read about paint jail are so true.

oh ya , tell me about it brother . I'm in the same jail as you .

Crestronwizard
10-30-2015, 09:43 AM
That was a long and excruciating part of the build for me. The amount of time it took me after it came back from paint was more surprising though. Keep at it, it will be done one day!

rhurley
10-30-2015, 10:27 AM
What hood is that?? how was the quality?

I_make_oil
10-31-2015, 01:50 AM
Thank you guys for the encouraging words. It goes a long way towards keeping me motivated and moving forward.

The hood is a Maier cowl hood. I'd say it is well made compared to the other fiberglass hoods I've seen out there for classic mustangs. It did require about 5 hours of work to get it flat and smooth. The hinges matched up well. The drivers side edge needed work as you can see in the pictures. The hood has a smooth bottom attached on the edges that had me concerned at first. It appeared to me to be delaminating. I contacted Maier and Charles Maier himself responded to me. He explained that their 65/66 mustangs have a second "skin" attached on the bottom to give them a more finished appearance. They don't bond this skin all the way across to prevent it from acquiring the same texture of the rough surface below it. It makes sense to me. I was very impressed that he responded to me himself about an issue like this.

I_make_oil
11-02-2015, 01:21 AM
Getting ready to order my gauges and accessory controls and I'd appreciate some input from the forum members.

I'm am leaning towards Dakota Digital gauges with a GPS speedometer. I have an Ididit steering column that is set up with a GM style cruise control buttons built into the turn signal. I think I will go with the Dakota Digital cruise vice the Ididit as I think it would fit with the gauge package more easily. It is supposed to plug right into the Ididit column with no poblems. Any opinions/experience with Dakota Digital cruise vs. Ididit? Also thinking of installing the digital compass, outside temp, tire pressure monitoring system and convenience package. The convenience package keeps the accessories and lights on for a preset amount of time after stopping the car like a modern car does.

Here is where I am. I am torn between the gauge styles that Dakota Digital sells. Anyone have any experience with any of them?

1965 66 Ford Mustang VHX Dakota Digital | eBay

1965 1966 Ford Mustang Billet Dash Gauges Instruments Dakota Digital Black VHX | eBay

DAKOTA DIGITAL 64 65 Ford Falcon & Mustang Analog Dash Gauge System VHX-64F-FAL

I am leaning towards the 6 gauge system with a the separate Tach. that I linked in the middle. I also like that it has two separate digital information read outs. The interior I am going after is what I call an updated classic style. I want it to look like a high end '66 Mustang. Leather wrapped dash, 1 piece MTF head liner covered in vinyl, Pony style door panels. Nice Leather wrapped center console with a double DIN stereo installed. AC vents are billet. My seats will be Distinctive Industries Touring II in black leather pony style with head rests. The rear seat will be covered to match the front. I have a flaming river waterfall steering wheel. The dash, doors, steering column and any exposed hard surfaces are all painted body color. What do ya'll think would be the best choice for the gauges?

rhurley
11-02-2015, 06:16 AM
Thank you guys for the encouraging words. It goes a long way towards keeping me motivated and moving forward.

The hood is a Maier cowl hood. I'd say it is well made compared to the other fiberglass hoods I've seen out there for classic mustangs. It did require about 5 hours of work to get it flat and smooth. The hinges matched up well. The drivers side edge needed work as you can see in the pictures. The hood has a smooth bottom attached on the edges that had me concerned at first. It appeared to me to be delaminating. I contacted Maier and Charles Maier himself responded to me. He explained that their 65/66 mustangs have a second "skin" attached on the bottom to give them a more finished appearance. They don't bond this skin all the way across to prevent it from acquiring the same texture of the rough surface below it. It makes sense to me. I was very impressed that he responded to me himself about an issue like this.

Hmmm good to know. I have been on the hunt for a cowl hood. But Cant decide on which one. Would you buy another? or from someone else?

I_make_oil
11-02-2015, 06:52 AM
Hmmm good to know. I have been on the hunt for a cowl hood. But Cant decide on which one. Would you buy another? or from someone else?

If I was to buy another fiberglass cowl hood this is the one I would go with again. Whatever hood you do buy it will require work to make it ''right''. Don't think it will be a bolt on and paint proposition. None of them will be. At least this one is finished on the underside in some fashion and not raw fiberglass. This hood has about 15 hours in it to get it to what I consider acceptable. I asked Charles about producing a steel cowl hood for classic Mustangs and he doesn't think there would be enough demand to support the expenses of making them. I also considered buying a steel cowl and grafting it to a stock hood but after metal work and body work figured I'd come out cheaper with a fiberglass hood. I estimated between 20 and 30 hour at a minimum to get a steel hood right and then I had concerns about the strength after cutting out the braces for the cowl. There are trade offs in all the choices. Good luck with your decision.

rhurley
11-02-2015, 07:35 AM
If I was to buy another fiberglass cowl hood this is the one I would go with again. Whatever hood you do buy it will require work to make it ''right''. Don't think it will be a bolt on and paint proposition. None of them will be. At least this one is finished on the underside in some fashion and not raw fiberglass. This hood has about 15 hours in it to get it to what I consider acceptable. I asked Charles about producing a steel cowl hood for classic Mustangs and he doesn't think there would be enough demand to support the expenses of making them. I also considered buying a steel cowl and grafting it to a stock hood but after metal work and body work figured I'd come out cheaper with a fiberglass hood. I estimated between 20 and 30 hour at a minimum to get a steel hood right and then I had concerns about the strength after cutting out the braces for the cowl. There are trade offs in all the choices. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you so much for the great input. I know maier does a good job, and also understand nothing will just bolt on. I am just trying to find one that doesn't require like you said 20 hours of work.

I_make_oil
12-04-2015, 03:55 PM
More paint is finally going on. Interior is done. Door jabs are done, under the hood is done. The car should be headed to the booth for the rest of the paint soon and it's on to assembly. Corey is going to paint all the exterior at once to ensure the paint is a perfect match. I hate to say it's going to be painted soon because every time I do another problem crops up and delays it.

xsboost90
12-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Looking good! Cant wait till im at the painting stage.

I_make_oil
12-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Still not fully painted. The shop got busy. Hopefully soon. Here are a few updates.

Fuel cell in. Beginning to plan the trunk layout. Spoke to my interior guy and parts collection has begun. Should be able to get busy as soon as Corey hands it over.

Steering column is installed. The wheel on it was only supposed to be a temporary thing until final assembly but it's kind of growing on me. My intention is to install a Flaming river waterfall but I'm not so sure now.

I_make_oil
01-04-2016, 11:06 PM
Spoke with my builder Corey and my interior guy again yesterday. The car should be painted ANY DAY! Corey found a few spots on the rear passenger fender he was not happy with. They are fixed now and the primer is curing again. Once it's done it will be final block and paint. Finally.

The interior guy is going to put together the time schedule for going forward. He will do what he can without getting in the way of the other work. Corey has gotten with the mechanic on the drive train install and wiring. I have an AAW wiring kit so hopefully that will not be too big of a deal. There is a Ride Tech distributor in Baton Rouge who wants to go through the suspension and will install the control system. They want to use the car as a display once it's complete and for a few trade shows. I am soooooo ready for this to be finished. The hardest part is doing all this from so far away. I'm very thankful to have Corey to work with as I have been out of the country for the majority of the build.

I_make_oil
02-28-2016, 05:41 PM
These are a few pics I received, I will hopefully get to go see the car in the next week or so. Time to begin assembly.

I_make_oil
02-28-2016, 05:42 PM
A few more. Still need to cut and buff.

wfo guy
02-28-2016, 05:46 PM
Almost out of paint jail! :)

Godbolt
02-29-2016, 01:21 AM
Looks great! What colour is that?
James

I_make_oil
02-29-2016, 06:18 PM
Ford Sterling Gray metallic. Once it's together some I'll post up some better pictures.

I_make_oil
03-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Engine, transmission, brake and fuel lines as well as exhaust will be installed next week. :bananna2:

xsboost90
03-02-2016, 06:29 PM
wow now i want my car done.....looking good!

wyattroa
03-02-2016, 06:47 PM
What size rubber are ya running

I_make_oil
03-02-2016, 08:43 PM
17" wheels with 255's on the front and 315's on the back.

SoopernovaAJ
03-03-2016, 05:41 AM
damn that thing sits nice....

I_make_oil
03-03-2016, 07:49 AM
This totally aired out. It's on Ridetech Shockwaves.

I_make_oil
03-28-2016, 10:50 AM
On the way to the engine builder.

- - - Updated - - -

New pics soon.

I_make_oil
03-28-2016, 03:52 PM
After 2 1/2 years the drivetrain is in the car.

joe28443
03-28-2016, 03:54 PM
What do you have there?

wfo guy
03-28-2016, 04:13 PM
2 and 1/2 years is ok. :) It's surprising how much time it takes to do things well.

I_make_oil
03-28-2016, 04:59 PM
A 351W stroked to a 427

craigF
03-29-2016, 03:58 AM
Hi there. Love your build you are doing. I am currently in the process of doing a 67 coupe down here in Australia and we have so many rules and regulations down here I envy some of the builds you guys can do.
I have a couple of quick questions to ask. Are your wheels able to fit on the front with no mods other than rolling the guards and with the rear would they of fitted without the DSE mini tubs as we are not allowed to cut the rails over here. They must remain original to be road legal. I could trim the edge off up to the rail and weld a squared off inner wheel arch if that makes sense.
I have started a build thread and have chosen a TCI front end with a Chris Alston Chassis works rear end but the body work is taking forever along with the dollars.
Great build i have gained some inspiration from you.

Crestronwizard
03-29-2016, 04:15 AM
Looking really good! I love the color ;)

I_make_oil
03-29-2016, 05:31 AM
Hi there. Love your build you are doing. I am currently in the process of doing a 67 coupe down here in Australia and we have so many rules and regulations down here I envy some of the builds you guys can do.
I have a couple of quick questions to ask. Are your wheels able to fit on the front with no mods other than rolling the guards and with the rear would they of fitted without the DSE mini tubs as we are not allowed to cut the rails over here. They must remain original to be road legal. I could trim the edge off up to the rail and weld a squared off inner wheel arch if that makes sense.
I have started a build thread and have chosen a TCI front end with a Chris Alston Chassis works rear end but the body work is taking forever along with the dollars.
Great build i have gained some inspiration from you.

Thanks for the kind words. It's been a fun project. Sorry to tell you there is no way I could have fit these tires on the rear of my '66 without the mods we did. There just isn't any room. I'm not familiar with a '67. On the front, the TCI kit brought the inside in quite a bit which allows these wide fronts to be installed.

Check out Godbolts wide body '67 fastback. He's also in OZ and has similar restrictions.

I_make_oil
03-29-2016, 05:36 AM
Looking really good! I love the color ;)

Thanks. It looks real close to another bad azz coupe I've seen around.

I_make_oil
03-29-2016, 04:47 PM
Headers going in. Engine and transmission all aligned. Shifter installed. Taking measurements for the driveshaft.

craigF
03-30-2016, 10:48 AM
Just love this build. Great looking stance and paint. Do you know what size backspacing is on your front and rear wheels? I think i have figured a way to get at least a 295 tire under the rear of my 67 with a little rail and suspension mod that won't upset the government inspectors too much in Australia. How is the turning circle with your front rims, do the tires catch the rails on full lock?
Engine bay is starting to look a treat as well. Love the March pulley system, think i may go that route.

craigF
03-30-2016, 10:51 AM
Hi again. Are your bonnet hinges from Mustangs to Fear? I went with their engine bay panels but after seeing the engine bay of yours i wish i had gone with a shock tower delete panel. Looks great with the original panel in the front.

I_make_oil
04-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Just love this build. Great looking stance and paint. Do you know what size backspacing is on your front and rear wheels? I think i have figured a way to get at least a 295 tire under the rear of my 67 with a little rail and suspension mod that won't upset the government inspectors too much in Australia. How is the turning circle with your front rims, do the tires catch the rails on full lock?
Engine bay is starting to look a treat as well. Love the March pulley system, think i may go that route.

Hi again. Are your bonnet hinges from Mustangs to Fear? I went with their engine bay panels but after seeing the engine bay of yours i wish i had gone with a shock tower delete panel. Looks great with the original panel in the front.

The fronts are 17X8 +30 offset The rears are 17X10.5 6.81 +27 offset.

The tires on the front do touch the front inner frame rail at full lock. I think a slightly narrower front tire would fix that I have 255's. I'm not really that concerned as it just barley touches and that is at absolute full lock. I will go down in width on the front when I replace them.

The front hood hinges are ring brothers. The seem to be the best quality from what I've seen.

I tried the Mustangs to fear panels but didn't like the way they fit. For what they cost I needed to love then and didn't. That along with I would have needed to modify them to fit with my set up had me return them.

A few pics from today. I dropped off the gauges and a few other parts today. Measured for the driveshaft and will order that this week. Will begin running fuel and brake lines after its installed.

Corey the builder is installing a new lift at his shop and the engine builder Joe is moving to Corey's shop. That might slow things down in the near term but will hopefully help in the finish time on the project.

I_make_oil
04-05-2016, 05:06 PM
2 and 1/2 years is ok. :) It's surprising how much time it takes to do things well.

Thanks

joe28443
04-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Love those pictures

Z06killinSBF
04-11-2016, 07:44 AM
Looking good, sorry I deleted your FB request (didn't recognize who it was), send it again.

I_make_oil
05-16-2016, 01:44 PM
Wiring is coming along. Also have the Lokar throttle installed. Ignition will be hooked up soon. Pretty excited. I included a picture of my car next to a Toyota Corrola. It sure is low. You don't realize how small these cars are until you have it next to something else.

wyattroa
05-16-2016, 02:13 PM
what was the color code for the paint?

I_make_oil
05-16-2016, 04:17 PM
Ford Sterling Gray Metalic. M7205A, UJ

I_make_oil
08-09-2016, 12:48 PM
I don't know if this will work or not. Links to the motor start up and the air ride working on my Facebook. Getting closer all the time.

https://www.facebook.com/benjy.wells.7/posts/1330641386965840

https://www.facebook.com/benjy.wells.7/posts/1334546953241950

Bob in St. Louis
08-10-2016, 05:09 AM
Pages don't load, but I'm not a FB member, if that matters.

I_make_oil
08-10-2016, 10:35 AM
I will have to figure out how to upload videos. Hope to have more soon.

Bob in St. Louis
08-10-2016, 12:12 PM
Roger that.
Youtube is free, if that helps.

I_make_oil
12-17-2016, 07:15 AM
Still moving along. The small things are killer. I hope to be finished up by the end of January. I'll post updated pictures soon.

rhurley
12-19-2016, 05:37 AM
Looking forward to see it done!

I_make_oil
10-16-2017, 03:09 PM
Life has been crazy busy. Haven't posted in a while. She is almost finished. Have some issues with the plumbing. Also had some paint issues. All the paint is sorted and working on the plumbing. Holding up on the interior until the mechanical bits are all sorted. This March pully system looks great but causes all kinds of issues running the top radiator hose. I have an idea that will hopefully fix this problem. Also dealing with the AC hoses is a PITA.

I_make_oil
10-16-2017, 03:13 PM
The rear bumper is tweaked a bit on the passenger side. That bugs the crap out of me. I'll deal with it later. Right now I just want it finished and on the road. I'll sort those things later.

I_make_oil
10-16-2017, 03:16 PM
I bought lots of my parts well in advance. Actually got ahead of myself. This caused me to forget who I ordered some parts from. To loose some stuff and to have other items replaced by the latest and greatest before my car is even on the road. I had a plan going in for what I wanted and worked hard to stick to the plan to keep costs in line. I don't think there is a way to do a project like this without running into these issues.

HotRod47
10-17-2017, 01:42 PM

Car looks great!!

I had the same issues with the March Perf set up and not being able to run a correct upper hose. I took a stock hose, cut and taped it to shape and searched the back room of the local parts store, all to no avail. In the end I bought some mandrel bent steel tubing pieces from Speedway and cut/spliced and welded one upper hose. I then did some body work and painted it to match the car. It actually looks good and worked perfectly. Just a thought.

I_make_oil
10-22-2017, 05:06 PM
I think that is the answer. Thank you.

HotRod47
10-23-2017, 12:03 PM
I think that is the answer. Thank you.

Glad to be of some help.

I_make_oil
04-09-2018, 05:41 AM
She is almost plumbed. I am out of the country until the first week of May. In May we begin interior work. I’m putting plates on it in May and hope to have it on the road working out the bugs by June. Fingers crossed. I’ll post up more pics when I get home and take them.

craigF
04-10-2018, 04:35 AM
Love this build and great to see it still on going.
Your rear was an inspiration for my build.
Love the way it sat down��

I_make_oil
04-10-2018, 09:35 AM
Love this build and great to see it still on going.
Your rear was an inspiration for my build.
Love the way it sat down��

Thanks Craig. Your car is pretty awesome. I’ll be glad when I finish this one. I’m already thinking about the next one.

craigF
10-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Hi all
I have had a break from the monster i have created for a few months but like all addictions it keeps calling me back.
I could send it to a good friends body shop and get it finished but where is the fun in that.

Anyway, it is time to make a push and see if i can't get this car int epoxy primer by Christmas.

Next on the list was a part that has been bothering me since we removed them to remove the roof, the drip rails.
The drips rails for the coupe are no longer available and as mine were rotten and i wanted to remove the roof mine had to go. I am not a fan of the smooth rounded look but if i couldn't solve the problem then that is how it would be.
I got a local sheet metal shop the bend a few different profiles until i was happy with one that i thought would work and offered it up to the car.
I have to say that i am pleased with the results and once it is primed and sealed it will look even better. The stainless mould fit on really well and you cant even see the fabricated drip rail.
[B]
The rear of the sail panel gets a little tight but i think only the connoisseurs among us will notice.

craigF
10-05-2018, 02:08 PM
Next was another issue that has had me thinking, how to close off the rocker panel extension, neatly?

This is where we are at so far with this. its still a work in progress and its getting there slowly.

Where we started....

Where we are at now.

Coming along but still needs a good tidy and finish to make it look neat and as if it supposed to be there.
I'm trying make a build that has subtle mods that are hard to spot with a quick glance but when you notice them it looks factory.

craigF
10-05-2018, 02:32 PM
Sorry guys. Just realised I posted on the wrong thread
I am officially a dick