PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed between AirRide vs Coilovers?

Nativefx
04-29-2014, 09:08 AM
Okay I'm fairly new here as I picked up my first project car a few months back. It's a '69 Firebird I picked up from a guy who needed to sell as he was moving and didn't have space for all his cars. He had already started the body work and replaced some typical rust areas by cutting out the small sections and replacing with new sheet metal. The car is stripped so I was able to look at the floors in the front and the trunk which are solid.

It came with a 350 motor which he told me he had fired up, so we made sure to get it running so we could check the compression to see whether I could run this while I worked on other aspects of the car first to get it on the road. Down the road I will swap the motor, but I haven't decided on a stroked 400 or an LS3 swap. Either way, I'd like to swap to a manual tranny down the road as well. Hopefully this won't be to difficult. Other things I'm thinking about are mini tubs, 4 wheel disk brakes, posi rear end which may need to be replaced if I end up doing the mini tubs.

Right now I have been reading up to get an idea on where I wanted to go with the suspension. I would really like to go with an AirRide setup but I have never driven a car with this setup so I'm trying to get some pro's vs. con's between the AirRide setup and a coilover setup. At the moment I am obviously considering Ridetech for both but am also looking at the other options for a coilover setup. I'm interested in the ride quality, dependability, difficulty of installation for AirRide and handling for aggressive driving. Is the added cost worth it for the AirRide or is it more dependent upon preference?

In the beginning this will be mainly for a street setup but I would like to possibly look at some autocross events in the future. I don't want to purchase something that I would then have to replace, which is why I am looking for input. I'd like to start putting together my order for the front/rear suspension soon. I hope to have the motor/trans out this weekend and then have the bottom and subframe media blasted to make sure I don't have any issues with areas I can't currently see. I have already decided to replace body mounts with Global West solid mounts and will also look to install subframe connectors as well, once I decide if any one is better than another.

If anyone has recommendation on the best place to order these parts as well as other parts down the road (engine/trans, posi rear, gearing, etc), and that can offer suggestions throughout my build process that would be great.

Any other input of aspects I haven't thought about would be great as well. I'm trying to search and read as much as possible to determine the path I want to follow. I'm not made of money so this will happen in stages, but I would much rather save money to get the best possible setup rather than replace something down the road.

thanks, Jake

Classic Nova & Performance
04-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Jake,
Welcome to the pro-touring crowd. Based on your input & what you intend to do with the car, I would recommend going with the coilover set up. The installation is very straight forward, shorter installation time, and fewer components which is good for space and room. I'm not saying that you can't get a air suspended car to handle (I think Bret proved that). Ridetech has several levels of coilover based suspension kits for your application.

Regarding your question on where is the best place to get their parts, I have my opinion. We not only sell Ridetech components, we also install them, so we are pretty familiar with the in's & out's of the process.

Nativefx
04-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I'll keep you in mind going forward.

Anyone with the Ridetech air ride system have any first hand experience they want to share?

Classic Nova & Performance
04-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I'll keep you in mind going forward.

Anyone with the Ridetech air ride system have any first hand experience they want to share?

Not for autocross, but what do you want to know?

MonzaRacer
05-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Strange, Ridetech has a few cars running air ride on autocross course, Might give them a shout out.

Smittys
05-04-2014, 06:22 PM
Air Ride sure don't slow me down. The truck is very competitive and I don't think the shocks are holding it back. Give me a call at the shop I can get you pointed in the right direction. Im a dealer also. 419-448-8080

Chris

Schwartz Performance
05-04-2014, 06:58 PM
We've done a few cars with air ride. I generally recommend air bags to guys that like the slammed look at a car show. From a handling aspect the air ride does well which has been proven.. But coilovers have more capabilities like spring changes to dial in the ride, instead of putting more air in the bags which raises the ride height.

There are plenty of RideTech dealers on here, including us!

-Dale

alphaenvirmgt
05-15-2014, 06:18 PM
I agree. Coilovers for sure. Ridetec all the way!
Conrad

MonzaRacer
05-24-2014, 03:44 PM
Now dont forget with Ridetechs new shocks their ShockWaves are the shiznit for combination of spring over shock combo.
I put regular airbag set up and parallel 4 link in my 78 C10 back in 04 and drove it for over 4 yrs with no issues with system, only issues I had was damaging a rear air bag and not using better ridetech shocks, had the monroe based units up front and Chevy Truck shocks based off the coil sprung lat 60s-early 70s C10s. Biggest issue was dealing with not taking enough time to do some extra fab in rear shock cross member.
I am still debating which way to roll in my 84 Caprice, Bret tells me to go for it and use ShockWaves, over air springs.
See the caprice will be big block, MAYBE twin ebay turbos same as Im looking at for my 283 twin turbo powered Monza,ebay knockoff GT2871R .60ar/.64ar water/oil cooled units.
I just plan to make the Caprice "appear" as it would have in 84 with the 454 option, performance air ride system, optional 14 in brakes(corvette) 18" wheels, Its named "What If,,,?"
Hence ideas. Probably gonna have near stone stock engine at first.