PDA

View Full Version : 385 Fastburn Modifications

Bruins_4
04-19-2014, 05:28 PM
What modifications could get 450hp from the 385 Fastburn engine? Would the hot cam kit and new intake get you to 450hp?

Quikbrd
04-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Perhaps,
The 385 Fast Burn with the Hot Cam was actually the ZZ430, so you would then need another 20 HP, don't think an Intake will get you there, but you'll be close.

Bruins_4
04-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Thx! Any views of the this intake?

Chevrolet Performance#809-12496821
Vortec Throttle Body Injection Intake Manifold
Cast Aluminum

Do you think this will also be an improvement with the hot cam kit on the 385 Fastburn? Just looking for more HP.

Thx again.

HellPhish89
04-26-2014, 08:31 PM
custom spec'd 4 pattern cam (for carb style intakes and even tbi intakes), carb style EFI torquer 2 intake (thats what i would do anyways) or possibly a holley stealth ram setup, conical valve springs and ti retainers (less weight equals more power), windage tray, port match heads to intake, maybe increase compression a smidge with a head shave and/or thinner head gaskets, true ram air setup, under drive pulleys, a good set of higher ratio rockers, boost.. there are many ways.

the fastburns are good heads. not great but, good.

get a good intake to start (see above), port match the heads.

get a set of head gaskets that match your bore as closely as possible and if safe... go a little thinner to bump compression.

match cam to the heads, intake, compression. these days the new rage is a 4 pattern cam for the single carb style intakes. they do work and it would be worthwhile the look into. go roller if it isnt. make valve train lighter like stated earlier in this post. degree the cam. always degree a cam. it can mean the difference between a dog and a screamer.

a good efi system is worth its weight in gold. honestly, i would convert it to the LSx system, better control of timing, fueling, etc.
windage, windage kills hp. get a good windage tray.

a pressurized crank case also kills hp, set up a good pcv system to vent/suck out the gases.

you could even go as far as a vacuum pump. its a little overkill but it works.

get as much air into the tb/carb as possible. a true ram air/cowl induction/etc cai will do wonders.

get gases out as best is possible: a set of well designed and thought out long tubes plus an x-pipe should work nicely.

under drive pulleys and such do help. on an LSx an underdrive pulley is worth 10rwhp. itll be less on a gen1 sbc but will still knock down the parasitic loss a little bit.

of course, you might end up with a little more than 450 with all of the little things added up to everything.. might end up a little under too. though.. with the way i think, id end up with 500 or so just because i like overkill.

good luck :)