PDA

View Full Version : Wheel hop on drag strips : How to stop it?

kamaro
04-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Hi guys,
I just came back from the late night track day of our local drag strips, I had a horrible wheel hop when ever I try to launch my car harder, in 1st gear it hooks good but in 2nd it would shake so violently!. My car is a 1970 Camaro with LS2 and a T56 and Ridetech 4-link rear suspension with a 335/30-18 tires. My shocks are the single adjustable and I think they are set on the middle (I think they are 26 total clicks and they are at 13, not quite sure though), the tire pressure was 18 PSI.

What shall I do to stop that nasty wheel hop before it breaks something? Do I need a double adjustable shock for that?

Please execuse my stupid question, I'm just a rookie trying to learn something!

Z06vet
04-17-2014, 06:29 PM
I am surprised to hear you had wheel hop with that suspension setup. While they are not designed for drag launches, I'm running same setup in my first gen & never had wheel hop. I had several C5 vettes that had aweful wheel hop. Very annoying. Talk to ridetech, im sure they can help you out on where to start in trying to resolve it. Curious to see what you find out. Scott

FlyDoc
04-19-2014, 11:39 PM
I would start by checking the pinon angle.
and play with the tire PSI, I would try like 22PSI.
hope this helps

andrewb70
04-20-2014, 08:01 AM
If you are running non drag tires, why did you lower the tire pressure to 18psi? I suspect that was your problem as street radials should be inflated more.

Andrew

shmoov69
04-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Quick question, is it wheel hopping because it is spinning so fast or wheel hopping because it is "trying to bite"?

David Pozzi
04-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Pay attention to rear ride height. I've seen cars set too high have problems.

T.B
04-21-2014, 05:23 PM
I had the same issue mine was to do with the upper links being level to the ground or slopping down to the back of the car, if you can lower the car some the uppers links with angle down some giving you a little more instant cent helping plant the rear tires!