PDA

View Full Version : How to Install Vapor Works Pick-ups

badazz81z28
04-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Alright...So my new Rick Tank comes un-assembled. It all looks pretty straight forward except for the pick-ups and the wiring. How do the pick-ups secure to the tank to keep them from flopping around?

Schwartz Performance
04-17-2014, 06:37 PM
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31884

Looks like a couple brackets attach to the inside

-Dale

badazz81z28
04-17-2014, 07:15 PM
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31884

Looks like a couple brackets attach to the inside

-Dale

Hmm, I do have brackets like that, but they are welded inside thank. Do the plastic pick-ups just pop in?

Schwartz Performance
04-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Kinda looks like it.

badazz81z28
04-18-2014, 05:22 AM
Kinda looks like it.

ugg...I found a general install guide on a Vapor worx and it appears you are suppose to pop them in, heat the tips, and spread the lips out so they don't fall out. I wonder how in the heck Im suppose to do that with the brackets deep in the tank....

sjaroslo
04-18-2014, 06:54 AM
I think that the instructions that you are looking at May be for a retrofit kit? Not certain. I AM certain that Carl will pop into this thread and answer your question for sure. For me, the pickups just snapped under the brackets and I have moved on with my life--of course, my project isn't running yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt....

CarlC
04-18-2014, 11:40 AM
You guys got it. On the Rick's tank the corner pickups just slip/snap under the corner brackets.

What about the wiring do you need help with?

badazz81z28
04-18-2014, 12:55 PM
You guys got it. On the Rick's tank the corner pickups just slip/snap under the corner brackets.

What about the wiring do you need help with?

Carl,

Thanks, I just worry they would fall off without something positivly holding them in. The wiring has no instructions. I assume one goes to a relayed 12V and the other is the ground.

sjaroslo
04-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Rob, the pickup (minus the little tip that fits into the hole in the corner bracket) should be like ever so slightly taller than the dimension from the bottom of the bracket to the bottom of the tank.... So when you snap it in, the pickup should be sitting flat on the floor of the tank and the bracket, just out of its inherent "springyness," should be slightly pushing the pickup down, so it would be pretty impossible for it to "fall out" because there should be no gap for it to fall in to. Does that make sense? I fretted over the same issue until I actually stuck my hand in there with one of the pickups and it snapped right in place and was completely and utterly easy-peasy.

CarlC
04-18-2014, 06:48 PM
For the 5th-gen LS3 and 60psi fuel pressure regulator, a traditional relay-type power supply is used.

When viewing the plug on the module from the top with the open end facing downward, the far LH cavity is pump +, then pump -. It is also, in stupid small lettering, molded into the plastic module hat. The wiring on the underside of the hat is also traditional red + and black -.

If you are using an aftermarket wiring harness where fuel pump power/fuse is available in the power center, I suggest not using it. These arrangements will not shut down the fuel system in the event of an accident. Use the ECM fuel pump enable circuit to control a relay to supply pump + power. When used in this manner the ECM will shut off the fuel system when engine rotation ceases.

badazz81z28
04-18-2014, 07:37 PM
For the 5th-gen LS3 and 60psi fuel pressure regulator, a traditional relay-type power supply is used.

When viewing the plug on the module from the top with the open end facing downward, the far LH cavity is pump +, then pump -. It is also, in stupid small lettering, molded into the plastic module hat. The wiring on the underside of the hat is also traditional red + and black -.

If you are using an aftermarket wiring harness where fuel pump power/fuse is available in the power center, I suggest not using it. These arrangements will not shut down the fuel system in the event of an accident. Use the ECM fuel pump enable circuit to control a relay to supply pump + power. When used in this manner the ECM will shut off the fuel system when engine rotation ceases.

Absolutly Carl, The LS1 thats in my 78 (going into the 70) using a basic Ricks FI tank runs off a relay that is controlled by the ECM.

badazz81z28
04-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Well I got it together. Hate it when it doesn't go smoothly. I got the pump in but because of the length of the hoses I can't clock the pump so the outlet is straight! I tried moving things around but it creates tension on the hoses. Arg!!! Why don't these things come assembled?

68lovebuzz
04-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Be sure to fill your tank up before you try to use the system. In other words put enough gas in the tank so that it goes over the top of the edge of the basket around the pump. If you don't it won't have fuel to pump and could easily burn the pump out. Ask me how I know.

badazz81z28
04-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Be sure to fill your tank up before you try to use the system. In other words put enough gas in the tank so that it goes over the top of the edge of the basket around the pump. If you don't it won't have fuel to pump and could easily burn the pump out. Ask me how I know.

Will do! Thanks for the tip!

CarlC
04-19-2014, 07:40 PM
The UPS man has an excellent way of finding out how durable the plastic module reservoirs are when mounted in the tank. They are safer coming in a separate box but the assembly process takes a bit of getting used to.

Once in the car the modules are fine as long as you're careful not to break the outlet nipple.

Brian had some difficulties with his during initial turn-on. The venturi pumps are the primary method to fill the reservoir when the fuel level is below the top of the reservoir. The venturi pumps need high pressure fuel to work. If the lines are flushed when only a small amount of fuel is in the tank, and there is no fuel pressure, the venturi pumps will not work. Hence, the reservoir runs dry and pump damage can result.

Moral of the story? Put enough fuel in the tank to cover the reservoir during initial fill-up.