PDA

View Full Version : Bare Metal / Coating Question

Kevin1kas
09-09-2004, 08:49 PM
I have a 62 Chevy II with original paint. There's really not much paint left on it. Some of the body parts have a very light rust coat, and some panels simply need to be replaced. It has been approximately 14 years since I was up on the various paints, primers, etc.

What I want to do is strip the paint / rust (will use chemicals or just sand), and spray some kind of protectant coat. I'm not really sure the best way to attack this. Fenders, hood, and front clip will be removed from the car. I suppose attacking each piece individually would be the best answer considering I will likely be doing the majority of the body work myself. I have a ton of things I need to do with this car, so the body work may be done in stages. Is there some kind of thin coat metal protectant I can just spray on after getting it down to bare metal, body work over it as time permits, then just spray an epoxy based primer to seal it up shortly before the whol car gets painted?

On the interior of the car, and behind quarter panels, etc. I'm going to spray a stuff on it called rust bullet (after getting it down to pare metal. I'll likely just spray some Expoxy Primer, then paint over it. I'm more concerned with body parts that everyone will see.

Again, it's been a lont time since I have done this kind of stuff. I want to do it right so it doesn't rust 5-10 years down the road (okay, I'm in Vegas and it likely wouldn't rust anyway, but pretend I live in Hawaii or some other high salt contenet place).

Thanks guys.

RatMalibu
09-09-2004, 09:07 PM
a good epoxy primer will likely be what you want...dupont makes one that has zinc chromate in it....can't remember the number off hand....I'll check for ya though